Replace HD with the new 6 TB, without losing data and volume

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
dbarbetto
Starting out

Replace HD with the new 6 TB, without losing data and volume

Post by dbarbetto »

Hi to all,
my TS-412 (Firmware QTS 4.1.0 - build 0612) is almost completely full, so I decided to buy some more capacious HD to increase the space available.
The current configuration is:
Bay 1 and Bay 2: The only logical volume in Raid 1 named "Private" consists of 2 Hard Disk WD Red 2TB, obviously the max available capacity is 2TB.
Bay 3: 1 single volume of 4TB (Seagate ST4000VN000) named "Data-1"
Bay 4: 1 single volume of 4TB (Seagate ST4000VN000) named "Data-2"

For the Bay 3e 4 I bought 2 WD HD Red 6 (six) TB each, I would then replace the current 4 TB, with these without losing the data inside.
I don't have any external device (USB o esata), just a Mac Pro with 2 free slot. :wink:

My goal is to replace the two individual volumes, without losing data and maintaining the logical name of each volumes.
I thought to follow this procedure, but I want to avoid making mistakes, that is why I am seeking your advice to see if I'm doing the right thing. :ashamed: :ashamed:

Remove the volume "Data-2", insert one of the new HD 6TB in its place and format.

First question, what is the most correct procedure to remove both the HD and the logical volume? Go to the "Privilege Settings" Menu / Shared Folders / from here, flag the volume (in my case "Data-2" and then click the tab "Remove" ?
after this action physically remove the HD, without turning off the NAS?

If this step is correct, assign a new logical name to HD 6TB in position Bay4 after which I proceed to transfer the entire contents of the Bay3 to Bay4. To do this, use File Station, moving folder to folder, or?
Obviously if the procedure indicated above, work, I can repeat with the other HD.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions and sorry for my bad english.
pwilson
Guru

Re: Replace HD with the new 6 TB, without losing data and vo

Post by pwilson »

dbarbetto wrote:Hi to all,
my TS-412 (Firmware QTS 4.1.0 - build 0612) is almost completely full, so I decided to buy some more capacious HD to increase the space available.
The current configuration is:
Bay 1 and Bay 2: The only logical volume in Raid 1 named "Private" consists of 2 Hard Disk WD Red 2TB, obviously the max available capacity is 2TB.
Bay 3: 1 single volume of 4TB (Seagate ST4000VN000) named "Data-1"
Bay 4: 1 single volume of 4TB (Seagate ST4000VN000) named "Data-2"

For the Bay 3e 4 I bought 2 WD HD Red 6 (six) TB each, I would then replace the current 4 TB, with these without losing the data inside.
I don't have any external device (USB o esata), just a Mac Pro with 2 free slot. :wink:

My goal is to replace the two individual volumes, without losing data and maintaining the logical name of each volumes.
I thought to follow this procedure, but I want to avoid making mistakes, that is why I am seeking your advice to see if I'm doing the right thing. :ashamed: :ashamed:

Remove the volume "Data-2", insert one of the new HD 6TB in its place and format.

First question, what is the most correct procedure to remove both the HD and the logical volume? Go to the "Privilege Settings" Menu / Shared Folders / from here, flag the volume (in my case "Data-2" and then click the tab "Remove" ?
after this action physically remove the HD, without turning off the NAS?

If this step is correct, assign a new logical name to HD 6TB in position Bay4 after which I proceed to transfer the entire contents of the Bay3 to Bay4. To do this, use File Station, moving folder to folder, or?
Obviously if the procedure indicated above, work, I can repeat with the other HD.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions and sorry for my bad english.
The TS-412 HDD Compatibility List does list 6TB models. Western Digital WD60EFRX (Red) might be a good choice.

Ciao

PS: Feel free to edit your Forum Profile, to list your "Location", this will help other Forum members understand that English isn't your primary language. I list mine as "Victoria, BC, Canada", perhaps you could list "Roma, Italia" on yours. (Or where ever you actually live).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
dbarbetto
Starting out

Post by dbarbetto »

Ciao Patrick,
the Western Digital WD60EFRX is exactly what I bought! :D

Any tips on how replace the existing HD, maintaining the logical structure and data?

best regards
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

dbarbetto wrote:Ciao Patrick,
the Western Digital WD60EFRX is exactly what I bought! :D

Any tips on how replace the existing HD, maintaining the logical structure and data?

best regards
Check out the Expanding Capacity (Online RAID Capacity Expansion) or Espandi capacità (espansione della capacità del RAID online) instructions in the manual.

Ciao

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

dbarbetto
Starting out

Post by dbarbetto »

thanks for your kindly answer. I don't need to expand a RAID volume, i need to replace a single drive volume.
But anyway i started to transfer my data from the NAS to an HD on my MacPro.
When this operation is completed, put back the data, from MacPro to the brand new WD RED 6TB on the NAS.

have a nice day.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

dbarbetto wrote:thanks for your kindly answer. I don't need to expand a RAID volume, i need to replace a single drive volume.
But anyway i started to transfer my data from the NAS to an HD on my MacPro.
When this operation is completed, put back the data, from MacPro to the brand new WD RED 6TB on the NAS.

have a nice day.
Sorry I misunderstood you, I must have misread your original message. (English is my only language, so this is entirely my fault).

I would never use Single Volumes, RAID0 or JBOD here, due to the lack of "redundancy protection". I have all 4 of my drives in a single RAID5 Volume. You have mitigated against most of the risks, by doing backups regularly by the sound of it.

Good luck....

Ciao

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”