TS412 suddenly reporting 2 disk with reallocated sectors

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
trb123
New here

TS412 suddenly reporting 2 disk with reallocated sectors

Post by trb123 »

I have a TS412 with 4 x Hitachi Ultrastar HUA722010CLA330 JP40 disks in RAID5 configuration, the other evening the TS412 just stopped responding, the only option I had was to hold the power button and force a hard shutdown.

When rebooted disk 4 was showing as 'no disk' and disk 2 showing with a warning, I re-inserted disk 4 and it initalized in seconds but still disk 2 and 4 showing as warning with both showing reallocated sector count of 2.

I can't believe that 2 disks that are only a year old have exactly the same nunber of bad sectors, the unit is working fine at the moment and i'm going to make a backup but it's worrying that a RAID5 unit has a failure in this way when the unit/disks are only a year old.

Can anyone advise what to do now, do I replace both disk (I have a couple of spares) can I clear down the warnings on the TS412, how critical is the problem?
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Re: TS412 suddenly reporting 2 disk with reallocated sectors

Post by doktornotor »

Yeah, you normally replace faulty drives, instead of hiding the warnings. Especially when these drives already caused a serious malfunction of the NAS. :roll:

If you are going to ignore this advise, then at least maintain uptodate backups, since RAID-5 will NOT survive a loss of two drives.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
trb123
New here

Post by trb123 »

I just hope that this is not going to occur again, it could get expensive!
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Good luck hoping. A year old drives are normally still under warranty in reasonable parts of the world.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”