Recommended way to transfer 2TB of data from external hdd

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
ariffinaldo
New here

Recommended way to transfer 2TB of data from external hdd

Post by ariffinaldo »

I am enquiring the best way for transfer of data from my external HDD (2TB of data) USB2.0 to my Qnap419+ NAS. I am doing the transfer via LAN. I am using Cat5e. My HDD is connected to my notebook (WIFI connection) and my NAS to a LAN cable. My transfer speed is 700KB/s to 1.5MB/s. Its ver slow. Will it be faster if i connected my HDD to the USB slot in the NAS?

Reason for my enquiry is that i I have another 2TB of HDD that i wish to transfer.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: Recommended way to transfer 2TB of data from external hd

Post by Toxic17 »

maybe slightly faster but the quickest transfer would be have the drive in a esata docking station and connect to the esata port on the back of the NAS....

something like this. http://www.dynamode.com/english/pages/p ... HDK-E.html
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
ariffinaldo
New here

Post by ariffinaldo »

Toxic17 wrote:maybe slightly faster but the quickest transfer would be have the drive in a esata docking station and connect to the esata port on the back of the NAS....

something like this. http://www.dynamode.com/english/pages/p ... HDK-E.html
Thanks for the prompt advise. I will try that. Maybe i will look into my local store and check out their prices first.
ariffinaldo
New here

Post by ariffinaldo »

Sorry but i just realised. If i am using an external USB HDD, I will not be able to use the esata dock as i believe that it can only be used for internal hdd that i can place inside the dock for transfering. My external USB HDD is WD2Tb and IOMEGA 1TB.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

most external disks can be removed from their casing, then you just stick it into the docking station.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

ariffinaldo wrote:Sorry but i just realised. If i am using an external USB HDD, I will not be able to use the esata dock as i believe that it can only be used for internal hdd that i can place inside the dock for transfering. My external USB HDD is WD2Tb and IOMEGA 1TB.
You can also attach your USB drives directly to the NAS, and use File Station or the Linux command line to copy the files. (I prefer to use the command line here). The problem with these suggestions is that your TS-419P+ only has USB2.0, so performance is horrible over USB.

I don't personally understand purchasing external drives at all. I prefer to use Docking Stations, as this allows me to purchase drives from the QNAP HDD Compatibility List, so that I can re-task my backup drives as "internal" drives later, when I need to "hot-swap" a failed drive in my NAS.

You would be far better off with an eSATA Docking Station, as already suggested by Toxic17, as eSATA would be 6 times faster than USB2.0, and would allow you to purchase drives what are suitable for "internal" use later when required.

I dislike purchasing purpose-built external drives, as frequently manufacturers use these to get rid of dubious drive models. For example Seagate used to put their horrible STx000DM00x drives in their enclosures. (These drives are probably fine for such use, however these same drives are not suitable for use inside your NAS). If you use a Drive Dock, you know exactly the Make/Model of the drives you attach to it.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what Make/Model of drives did Western Digital and Iomega provide "inside" those external drive enclosures? All Drive Docks are not created equal, just as external drive enclosures are not created equal.

For maximum flexibility you might want to purchase a Dock that supports both USB3.0 and eSATA. This would allow you to use it via USB3.0 with your PC, yet be able to use the same Dock (and possibly same drive) for your NAS via eSATA. (USB 3.0 is backward compatible with USB2.0, so you can use a USB3.0 dock with a USB2.0 Computer/NAS).

USB2.0 is horrid to use with Storage devices as it is simply too slow. Are those external drives USB2.0 or USB3.0?
BTW, Drive Docks are cheap. You shouldn't need to spend more than $50USD for a good Dock.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
RichSpan
Starting out

Post by RichSpan »

The dock with USB 3 sounds like the best option. Have you thought of just of placing the external drive as an internal? Or do you need to keep it as a external?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

RichSpan wrote:The dock with USB 3 sounds like the best option. Have you thought of just of placing the external drive as an internal? Or do you need to keep it as a external?
That was my conclusion too, however I strongly recommend that you choose one that also supports eSATA for your NAS use, as your TS-419P does not support USB3.0.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
RichSpan
Starting out

Post by RichSpan »

Ah yes, see what you mean ;)
*If first, you don't succeed USE A BIGGER HAMMER!!!!!!!
*If first, you don't succeed.....don't try sky diving or bungee jumping!!!!!!
RAID IS NOT A BACKUP!!! - make sure your data is on a different device or location.
Current NAS's
TS253A
TS231P
DS119
Frode
Getting the hang of things

Post by Frode »

I continue this thread, as the issue is the same. I need to copy data from two 2 TB drives from a ts-209. The 209 is extremely slow, working at 100% cpu when replicating over the wire.
So, I got this Icy Box IB-122CL-U3 Docking Station, but it seems to be a bit flaky. 1st, the TS-670 pro I connected it to reports it as a usb2 device. 2nd, one of the drives, a WD2002fyps, didn't want to connect. The other drive, a WD20ears, connects fine, but I get lots of errors "cannot stat", on nearly half the files when copying. When connecting the IcyBox to a win7 PC, it seems to work much better, no errors, but the paragon extfs driver has problems handling high numbers of files, and crashing windows.

Would this be an issue of the IcyBox, the usb port of the ts-670, or a combination of hdd type and one of the above??? Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?
It's probably better to get another adapter/box which is tested fully compatible - maybe Esata is more stable or better suited than usb3, even if it is slower?
Frode in Oslo. Ex wan/lan designer - CIT. Qnap boxes: TVS-872xt, TS-253 Pro
GunMetalBlue
Starting out

Post by GunMetalBlue »

Frode wrote:I continue this thread, as the issue is the same. I need to copy data from two 2 TB drives from a ts-209. The 209 is extremely slow, working at 100% cpu when replicating over the wire.
So, I got this Icy Box IB-122CL-U3 Docking Station, but it seems to be a bit flaky. 1st, the TS-670 pro I connected it to reports it as a usb2 device. 2nd, one of the drives, a WD2002fyps, didn't want to connect. The other drive, a WD20ears, connects fine, but I get lots of errors "cannot stat", on nearly half the files when copying. When connecting the IcyBox to a win7 PC, it seems to work much better, no errors, but the paragon extfs driver has problems handling high numbers of files, and crashing windows.

Would this be an issue of the IcyBox, the usb port of the ts-670, or a combination of hdd type and one of the above??? Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?
It's probably better to get another adapter/box which is tested fully compatible - maybe Esata is more stable or better suited than usb3, even if it is slower?
Personally I use a Rosewill enclosure, that is currently on the compatibility list that houses an "enterprise" drive (EXT4) that is connected via esata. Typically I see throughput of about 20-30 MB/sec which is acceptable being attached to an already overloaded and very aging TS410. This drive runs 24/7 for backup purposes with no issues.

For "temporary" transfers, I agree with Patrick on the docking station. They're great, however I only connect mine to a Windows laptop and transfer over the LAN to USB for my offsite backups. I tried the docking station once connected directly and after about a day or so, running full time, the drive disconnected from the server. After the disconnect, the drive was hot to the touch (I wish I had taken a temp reading, but didn't). From this I had reason to believe the drive just overheated is what caused the disconnect.

The drawback of the Windows machine is Windows don't like EXT partitions. It might be an idea to load something like Ubuntu on a spare machine, if you have one, and use it for transfers?
(Home1) TS-410 ST31000340NS G005/ST1000NM0033 SN04 RAID 5 QTS 4.1.2 Build 20150126 APC Back-UPS NS 1250
(Home2) TS-120 ST1000NM0033 SN07 4.3.3.0378 Build 20171117 APC Back-UPS NS 1250
(Work1) TS-1270U 12-ST3000NM0033 RAID 6 QTS 4.1.0 APC Back-UPS NS 1250
(Work2) TS-459U 4-ST6000NM0024 RAID 5 APC Back-UPS NS 1250
(Work3) TS-439U 4-ST31000NM0033 SN04 RAID 5 QTS 4.1.2 Build 20141229
Frode
Getting the hang of things

Post by Frode »

So far, I hear that Rosewill docking enclosures should be hunky-dory. Can't find them on the local market tho' (US & far east only). Any other specific docks which are tested compatible?
Or any specific info on what's wrong with the IcyBox?

Is it likely that eSata gives less problems than usb3?
usb3 is theoretically faster, but I think the difference is less than 1:2, so it's probably ok with eSata, for now at least. It might disappear in the near future tho'.
Frode in Oslo. Ex wan/lan designer - CIT. Qnap boxes: TVS-872xt, TS-253 Pro

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”