Urgent: Logical Disk 2 disappeared after FW upgrade to 4.1.1

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
OMorcher
New here

Urgent: Logical Disk 2 disappeared after FW upgrade to 4.1.1

Post by OMorcher »

Hi,

I've upgraded my TS-212 from FW 4.1.0 to 4.1.1. After the system restart my disk 1 is not anymore automatically mounted and disk 2 is even not displayed anymore as a logical disk.

Disk 1 will appear after I'm checking the related file system (which I have to do everytime for the last 3 restarts. Disk 2 is shown under the physical disks, and can also be mounted manually on the UNIX command line.

I assume, that something (files) got corrupted with the firmware upgrade (also my previous configured server name disappeared). I'm looking for some guideline/steps, how I can manually (or via existing functionality) repair my problems. This is somehow urgent, as important files are stored on my disk 2.
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Urgent: Logical Disk 2 disappeared after FW upgrade to 4

Post by storageman »

Go back to 4.1.0
If this does work contact Qnap
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

OMorcher wrote:Hi,

I've upgraded my TS-212 from FW 4.1.0 to 4.1.1. After the system restart my disk 1 is not anymore automatically mounted and disk 2 is even not displayed anymore as a logical disk.

Disk 1 will appear after I'm checking the related file system (which I have to do everytime for the last 3 restarts. Disk 2 is shown under the physical disks, and can also be mounted manually on the UNIX command line.

I assume, that something (files) got corrupted with the firmware upgrade (also my previous configured server name disappeared). I'm looking for some guideline/steps, how I can manually (or via existing functionality) repair my problems. This is somehow urgent, as important files are stored on my disk 2.
  1. Drive issues yet no Make/Model of drives provided.
  2. Volume issues yet no Volume type provided. RAID1?
  3. UNIX (actually it's Linux) Command Line attempted, yet no troubleshooting output provided.
  4. Booting issues yet no System Log entries provided. (See Forum FAQ: Can I post images?)
Thanks for providing your Firmware Version. Which QTS 4.1.1 Build did you install?

It is impossible to help with so little information provided. You claim this is "Urgent", yet you've provided no information to permit us to help you.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
OMorcher
New here

Post by OMorcher »

Please find attached more info's:

Drive issues yet no Make/Model of drives provided => Two Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN1CC4B (2794.52 GB) - Smart Status Good for both
Volume issues yet no Volume type provided. RAID1 => No RAID, used as two single disks (before failure)

Drive 1 always shows, that it is not (automatically) initialized. I have to run the "Check File System" every time after a reboot. So something seems to be wrong here as well.

The firmware to which I've upgraded was 4.1.1 build 0916. During this process my 2nd disk "was removed". I've also done an update to 4.1.1 build 0927 and then a downgrade to 4.1.0 (June 2014 version) - as suggested -, but my 2nd disk was not "re-discovered". I'm now again on FW 4.1.1 build 0927.

I'm not sure, what output you want regarding:
UNIX (actually it's Linux) Command Line attempted, yet no troubleshooting output provided.

Also for that one:
Booting issues yet no System Log entries provided. (See Forum FAQ: Can I post images?)

The system log only showed only "[Single Disk Volume: Drive 1] The file system is not clean....". This line is shown after "System started". Update: That error was not shown anymore after the last reboot. Other errors (which are related, are not shown - I assume, that the error, that the Antivirus definiton update failed, is not important).

The message, why I did my upgrade was "The firmware versions of the system build-in flash ... and the hard drive ... are not consistent".

Unfortunately I do not see a "typical linux boot.log" in /var/log, so I do not know, which kind of errors are shown during system start. Is there any other file, which contains this information? Also the file /var/log/messages is always empty.

Please let me know, which other information I shall provide.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

OMorcher wrote: Two Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN1CC4B (2794.52 GB)
I'm honestly shocked that you are having issues with those! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
OMorcher
New here

Post by OMorcher »

I don't think, that it is related to the harddisks. I assume, my issue is, that some software configuration got corrupt, when I did the FW upgrade.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

:arrow: http://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit

People here are absolutely fed up with issues caused by the Seagate garbage, sorry. Get help from QNAP - and you can ask them about their HCL at the same time.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
OMorcher
New here

Post by OMorcher »

Thanks for the link to QNAP helpdesk. I've created a ticket and will keep you posted with the results.
OMorcher
New here

Post by OMorcher »

I had created a ticket at the QNAP Helpdesk (#SPT-127-11992).

To keep it short: Five days after my ticket creation their (main) response was to do a Firmware-Recovery (http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Recovery). I had to do a low level formatting of my two disks, as the "normal" initialization process did not clean the hard disk (and also switched both disks).

Now both disks are "visible" again, and I've also completed the other recovery/restore activities (which took me approx. 2 days, as the restoring of files via USB 2.0 takes a long time). As such I'm not happy with the solution, which was given by QNAP, as they could not explain, which config files I could have changed.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

You are recoving data to the same drives that already caused this whole trouble? Hmmmm... not really sure what to say.
OMorcher
New here

Post by OMorcher »

The harddisks seem to be okay (from my point of view). They have not shown any issues so far. Why do you assume, that the issue is related to the harddisk?
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

No comment. Mod, please lock, topic solved.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”