469L - Migrating from Single HDD to Raid 1 - checking proces

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
marginalia
Starting out

469L - Migrating from Single HDD to Raid 1 - checking proces

Post by marginalia »

Hello
This is a very helpful forum and so, many thanks to the folks making answers. I'm battling to ensure I understand what I've got to do (and so am most appreciative of your patience) . I’ve read the forum and the manual, and *think* I have it worked out - but need to check.
My query is this. I have a 469L with a 3TB WD Red in it. I think it is set up as a single disk. I want to migrate the contents to a 4TB WD Red (my long term aim is to replace the 3TB with a 4TB - so then I would have 2 x 4TB).
Am I correct in thinking the process to follow is this:
1. Install the new HDD and format it.
2. Select RAID Group 1 and then manage, then migrate.
3. Select the new disk and click OK.

If all goes well, should the data on disk 1 - the original 3TB hdd, remain unchanged - and just be copied to the new drive - and a RAID 1 configuration created?
Will the migration include the 469L's configuration files?
Thanks for your time and reading this.
M.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Re: 469L - Migrating from Single HDD to Raid 1 - checking pr

Post by doktornotor »

I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
marginalia
Starting out

Post by marginalia »

Thank you for the link. But I am not migrating from an old NAS. (I had read that page before and it was informative but not helpful in assuaging my hesitation in respect of my specific query) - The 3TB is already in use in the 469L - and I am proposing to add a 4TB Hdd to the same NAS - and convert from a single hdd to RAID1.
Thanks again for our response and taking the trouble.
M
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Yeah, that's documented as well... and discussed just gazillion times before. http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.1/SMB/en/ind ... olumes.htm
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
marginalia
Starting out

Post by marginalia »

Thanks for another very prompt response. I'd read that page too - and was somewhat flummoxed by it. Yes, there are a lot of pages – and I've spent hours reading them (and in the manual over 800 of them, explaining many things about the NAS).
I guess I was after a simple yes or no to the queries I posted, rather than being directed to pages I'd already read, but found perplexing.
But, not to worry. The NAS was a gift and I'll ask my benefactor when he returns from his holiday.
Thanks again for taking the trouble.
diggum
Starting out

Post by diggum »

I was in the same boat, simply put when you configure a single drive it works as a single drive but when you put in a second drive it moves to RAID 1 thereby effectively destroying all your data on the installed drive, I learnt this through experimentation but luckily I had my existing NAS and I was able to make rsync work from the old NAS
marginalia
Starting out

Post by marginalia »

Thanks for your response. I suspected that might be the case. It should not happen, though - meaning peple replace drives for a veriety of reasons and also go to different RAID schemes.
Really simply instructions should be available (e.g.: if you have X and want to do Y then do ABC.) Other fora manage it - rather than directing people to a web page the inquirer has already read - and not answering the questions!
I've also been having a lot of trouble trying to work out differences between volume and disk and so forth (http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... 99#p437162) - I made a post, but so far noone has answered. Justging by the number of views, other folks might also like this clarified.
Kind regards
M
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

diggum wrote:simply put when you configure a single drive it works as a single drive but when you put in a second drive it moves to RAID 1 thereby effectively destroying all your data on the installed drive,
Any storage device (HDD or SDD) will be partitioned immediately, and the system volumes span over the system partitions. The NAS is not a disk server permitting to plug and serve a disk with data and remove again. Completely off-topic here.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”