Backup System Settings - File Shares Included ?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
dmagnant
New here

Backup System Settings - File Shares Included ?

Post by dmagnant »

Hello,

I have a TS-869U-RP running v4.1.1. I will soon be swapping out the current set of hard drives for drives of a different make and size. I currently have quite a number of file shares configured. I would like not to have to recreate these after the drive swap. Will a restore of System Settings after the drive swap include recreation of file shares? Obviously the data will be lost, but can the structure of file shares be salvaged via backup and restore?

Thank You,
pwilson
Guru

Re: Backup System Settings - File Shares Included ?

Post by pwilson »

dmagnant wrote:Hello,

I have a TS-869U-RP running v4.1.1. I will soon be swapping out the current set of hard drives for drives of a different make and size. I currently have quite a number of file shares configured. I would like not to have to recreate these after the drive swap. Will a restore of System Settings after the drive swap include recreation of file shares? Obviously the data will be lost, but can the structure of file shares be salvaged via backup and restore?

Thank You,
Your assumptions are correct. A NAS settings backup simply saves the contents of the /etc/config directory, including your Samba configuration file: /etc/config/smb.conf. This will save where the NAS expects the "shares" to live, but it does not actually backup the shares themselves. Similarly, the configuration backup will save your users and their passwords, but it does not actually backup their $HOME directories.

If you have already upgraded to Storage Pools, you can simply follow the instructions for: Expanding storage pools by replacing hard disk drives in a RAID array, and it will migrate your data for you. If you are still using pre-QTS 4.x Storage Volumes, then you will probably want to review the poorly titled QNAP Tutorial: How to completely upgrade your NAS from QTS 3.8 to QTS 4.0.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
dmagnant
New here

Re: Backup System Settings - File Shares Included ?

Post by dmagnant »

Patrick,

Thank you for your prompt and helpful response. If I'm following you correctly the key thing I'm hoping for, the restoration of shared folders, users, and the association of user access rights to shared folders (basically the shared storage framework) will be accomplished by the System Settings Backup/Restore.

Again, thank you very much.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”