Disk upgrade problem - advice please

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
dr_jon
Easy as a breeze

Disk upgrade problem - advice please

Post by dr_jon »

(Please read both my posts as I've moved on a little trying to fix the problem.)

I'm changing from 4x2TB to 4x4TB drives in my TS-419P+. I'm running 4.1.1 b1003.

It went great until this morning, I changed the first two drives and the rebuilds took 7-8 hours. However it doesn't like the third drive for some reason. (I had checked the drive was visible in Windows, so it's not completely dud. As it's a WD Red I also checked the Idle Timer was set to 300seconds in DOS.) It went wrong pretty quickly after the drive was swapped in. It has a red light over the bay and the Storage manager says (with long delays on every user input, presumably as it waits for the drive):

So it says I can't do anything to the drive. I assume I should ignore that?

Next I can:
Replace the previous drive.
Try inserting this drive again.
Insert my fourth 4TB drive and send this one back.

I'm debating between the latter two, I don't have a feel for how likely a hot-swap error is (rather than it being an actual drive problem). It does seem to have gone wrong (looking at the Error Log timings) just as I plugged it in. All suggestions welcome. I don't seem to have any option to tell the NAS I want to change the drive.

John

P.S. It always seems strange the NAS gives an Error Message (rather than a Warning or Information) about Drive 2 being unplugged, even though I've selected to Change it in the Expand Capacity menu.
Last edited by dr_jon on Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TS-453A, TS-253A, TS-431P3, TS-419P+, hopefully that's it for a while...
dr_jon
Easy as a breeze

Re: Disk upgrade problem - advice please

Post by dr_jon »

Okay I decided to be brave and removed and replace the drive. This time I got a green light but a forest of error messages:

So I changed to a new drive, inserted that and also got a green light, but the NAS just says "No Drive" for that Bay. Now I'm out of ideas other than Power-Cycling it, and I'm not doing that without advice. I don't have a problem using shell commands, but don't have a feel for what would be the best approach.
dr_jon
Easy as a breeze

Re: Disk upgrade problem - advice please

Post by dr_jon »

Okay, fixed. Removed drive (the 4th one - the 3rd one is winging its way back to the supplier), rebooted and inserted. It's now rebuilding.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”