How to access drive via Windows OS over network

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
DaveRook
Starting out

How to access drive via Windows OS over network

Post by DaveRook »

I had 2 hard drives in my QNAP. It all went wrong, they both 'failed', and since I was using incorrect hard drives, I decided to copy the data from the QNAP hard drives to my Windows hard drive.

I then installed 2 new hard drives into my QNAP, set up as RAID 1 and copied the files over to this new raid. All is working fine. I can access this via Windows OS over the network.

Then, I realised, I still had files on my old QNAP hard drive. Ooops!

Since position 1 and 2 are taken up with the new RAID, I've inserted the old hard drive into position 3 on the QNAP TS-412. This is the hard drive with the files I need to copy back to my Windows machine.

However, from Windows Explorer, I can only see 1 option for NAS and it doesn't show me these files/folders. Via Windows explorer, I can only see the RAID hard drive(s).

How do I access these old folder/files (in position 3)?

No doubt I've missed lots of information and some one will happily inform me of such, so if I did miss anything, please ask.
pwilson
Guru

Re: How to access drive via Windows OS over network

Post by pwilson »

DaveRook wrote:I had 2 hard drives in my QNAP. It all went wrong, they both 'failed', and since I was using incorrect hard drives, I decided to copy the data from the QNAP hard drives to my Windows hard drive.

I then installed 2 new hard drives into my QNAP, set up as RAID 1 and copied the files over to this new raid. All is working fine. I can access this via Windows OS over the network.

Then, I realised, I still had files on my old QNAP hard drive. Ooops!

Since position 1 and 2 are taken up with the new RAID, I've inserted the old hard drive into position 3 on the QNAP TS-412. This is the hard drive with the files I need to copy back to my Windows machine.

However, from Windows Explorer, I can only see 1 option for NAS and it doesn't show me these files/folders. Via Windows explorer, I can only see the RAID hard drive(s).

How do I access these old folder/files (in position 3)?

No doubt I've missed lots of information and some one will happily inform me of such, so if I did miss anything, please ask.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”