TS-219 / RAID 1: How to replace both disks by bigger disks

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
alex5673
Starting out

TS-219 / RAID 1: How to replace both disks by bigger disks

Post by alex5673 »

Hi,

I wanted to increase the capacity of my TS-219 RAID 1. -- For that purpose I replaced HDD 2 by the the bigger one and it got rebuilt. I hoped I could then replace the other disk (HDD 1) also by a bigger one, but this didn't get rebuilt. Instead now I see the RAID to be "degraded", and when swapping HDD 1 and HDD 2 the second disk I added shows up as "Unitialized".

Is there a solution on this basis or is the only way to start with a fresh RAID based on the bigger disks, and restore from the backup on an external drive?

Thanks,
Alex
pwilson
Guru

Re: TS-219 / RAID 1: How to replace both disks by bigger dis

Post by pwilson »

alex5673 wrote:Hi,

I wanted to increase the capacity of my TS-219 RAID 1. -- For that purpose I replaced HDD 2 by the the bigger one and it got rebuilt. I hoped I could then replace the other disk (HDD 1) also by a bigger one, but this didn't get rebuilt. Instead now I see the RAID to be "degraded", and when swapping HDD 1 and HDD 2 the second disk I added shows up as "Unitialized".

Is there a solution on this basis or is the only way to start with a fresh RAID based on the bigger disks, and restore from the backup on an external drive?

Thanks,
Alex
You simply follow the instructions for: Expanding Capacity (Online RAID Capacity Expansion) as decribed in the fine manual.

Perhaps we could provide more assistance if you provided more information. Please login to your NAS via SSH, login as "admin", and run the following commands:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
rm -f /tmp/nasreport
touch /tmp/nasreport
chmod +x /tmp/nasreport
cat <<EOF >>/tmp/nasreport
#!/bin/sh
#
# NAS Report by Patrick Wilson
# see: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=185&t=82260#p366188
#
# 
echo "*********************"
echo "** QNAP NAS Report **"
echo "*********************"
echo " "
echo "NAS Model:      \$(getsysinfo model)"
echo "Firmware:       \$(getcfg system version) Build \$(getcfg system 'Build Number')"
echo "System Name:    \$(/bin/hostname)"
echo "Workgroup:      \$(getcfg system workgroup)"
echo "Base Directory: \$(dirname \$(getcfg -f /etc/config/smb.conf Public path))"
echo "NAS IP address: \$(ifconfig \$(getcfg network 'Default GW Device') | grep addr: | awk '{ print \$2 }' | cut -d: -f2)"
echo " " 
echo "Default Gateway Device: \$(getcfg network 'Default GW Device')" 
echo " "
ifconfig \$(getcfg network 'Default GW Device') | grep -v HWaddr
echo " "
echo -n "DNS Nameserver(s):" 
cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep nameserver | cut -d' ' -f2
echo " "
echo " "
echo "HDD Information:"
echo " "
if [ -x /sbin/hdparm ]; then
   for i in {a..d}; do echo -n /dev/sd\$i ; hdparm -i /dev/sd\$i | grep "Model"; done
else 
   echo "   /sbin/hdparm is not present" 
fi
echo " "
echo "Disk Space:"
echo " "
df -h | grep -v qpkg
echo " "
echo "Mount Status:" 
echo " "
mount | grep -v qpkg
echo " " 
echo "RAID Status:" 
echo " " 
cat /proc/mdstat
echo " " 
#echo "QNAP Media Scanner / Transcoder processes running: "
#echo " " 
#/bin/ps | grep medialibrary | grep -v grep
#echo " " 
#echo -n "MediaLibrary Configuration file: " 
#ls -alF /etc/config/medialibrary.conf
#echo " " 
#echo "/etc/config/medialibrary.conf:"
#cat /etc/config/medialibrary.conf
echo " "
echo "Memory Information:" 
echo " "
cat /proc/meminfo | grep Mem
echo " "
echo "NASReport completed on \$(date +'%Y-%m-%d %T') ($0)" 
EOF
sleep 2
clear
/tmp/nasreport
echo "Done." 
#done

Please cut&paste the output of the resulting NASReport back to this message thread.

You seem to be asking about upgrading your drives, but you haven't even told us the Make/Model of the "original" drives, nor the "replacement" drives. It is difficult to assist based on incomplete information.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
alex5673
Starting out

Post by alex5673 »

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your great and super-fast help. -- I found that article before, but as it referred to TS-509 Pro (obviously as an example) I wasn't sure if I should follow it further.
Anyway. - While following this article my TS-219 became unresponsive, so I made the 3 second reset and started with the system in factory settings, and with my two old disks, one WDC WD7500AALX and one WDC WD7500AAKS

Now it shows:
Single Disk: Drive 2 Unmounted
Mirroring Disk Volume: Drive 1 Ready

How can I make Drive 2 part of the RAID 1 again? I tried "Migrate" but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I want to get the RAID into the old state so that I can try expanding it again. - The two new drives would be Seagate ST2000DM001.

Thanks again,
Alex
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

alex5673 wrote:Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your great and super-fast help. -- I found that article before, but as it referred to TS-509 Pro (obviously as an example) I wasn't sure if I should follow it further.
Anyway. - While following this article my TS-219 became unresponsive, so I made the 3 second reset and started with the system in factory settings, and with my two old disks, one WDC WD7500AALX and one WDC WD7500AAKS

Now it shows:
Single Disk: Drive 2 Unmounted
Mirroring Disk Volume: Drive 1 Ready

How can I make Drive 2 part of the RAID 1 again? I tried "Migrate" but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I want to get the RAID into the old state so that I can try expanding it again. - The two new drives would be Seagate ST2000DM001.

Thanks again,
Alex
Stellar drive choice. You couldn't have picked a worse drive if you tried. Please submit a ticket with the QNAP Helpdesk for all assistance requests with Seagate ST2000DM001 drives.

No one but God can help you with these horrid Seagate ST2000DM001 drives. Return them to your retailer, and ask them to provide a "good" replacement drive instead.

Sorry I will not assist anyone with Seagate DL or DM-series drives. The are utter garbage and are only suitable for placement in landfills. Why do you have such contempt for your own data? Don't even attempt to use them.

Sorry, not the answer you wanted, but at least it's a honest one. Perhaps these messages will shed some light on this issue for you.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

alex5673
Starting out

Post by alex5673 »

Hi Patrick,

I understand your point, but as stated above I'm about to get my QNAP back in shape with my two WDs first. That's my current problem. I.e., why does one drive show up as "Single Disk: Drive 2 Unmounted" and the other one as "Mirroring Disk Volume: Drive 1 Ready". Ranting about Seagate touches this issue only remotely.

Alex
alex5673
Starting out

Post by alex5673 »

For the records: I ended up formatting all the involved RAID harddrives at my laptop and starting with a freshly initialized RAID in a system that I reset to factory settings. -- I have an external USB drive connected to my RAID for regular external backups which I used to restore my data on the fresh RAID. But there doesn't seem to be any function in the system at all to restore the RAID from an external backup, which is why I had to connect the external USB drive to my laptop to copy the data over manually. - A 24 h process well underway.

In all honesty I didn't perceive this whole experience to be a great advertisement for this brand of RAID systems ...
kitkanviisas
New here

Post by kitkanviisas »

I have now the same situation with my brand new WD Red Drives.
They are now inside QNAP 219P+

How to get files back from External USBDrive ?
Is it really only way to use copy/paste ?

Kitkanviisas
Last edited by kitkanviisas on Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

alex5673 wrote:Hi Patrick,

I understand your point, but as stated above I'm about to get my QNAP back in shape with my two WDs first. That's my current problem. I.e., why does one drive show up as "Single Disk: Drive 2 Unmounted" and the other one as "Mirroring Disk Volume: Drive 1 Ready". Ranting about Seagate touches this issue only remotely.

Alex
I wasn't ranting. I was simply stating I won't help with Seagate DM & DL series drives. QNAP puts drives on the Incompatibility List based on the number of complaints they receive on specific drive models. I therefore direct all Seagate DL and DM victims to the Helpdesk. Once QNAP has had enough complaints about these drives perhaps they will protect there customers by adding these horrid drives on the Incompatibility list for all QNAP models.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”