Newbie here...very slow transfers

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
paddymunich
New here

Newbie here...very slow transfers

Post by paddymunich »

Hi everybody,

Just got my first NAS (HS-251).
I'm trying to transfer a big bunch (1,2 TB) of files from my Time Capsule to the NAS.
Both connected through ethernet cable.
But actual transfer rate is around 2MB/s.

Any ideas what I can do to improve that?

Thanks a lot,
Cheers,
kirkgbr
Know my way around

Re: Newbie here...very slow transfers

Post by kirkgbr »

What kind of hard disks did you put in the NAS?

Are they directly connected to each other via your ethernet cable or using a hub or switch?
NAS Model:TS-453 Pro
RAM: 8Gig
Firmware: 4.1.4 Build 20150804
Drives: 2 * WD30EFRX
Network: GigE
paddymunich
New here

Post by paddymunich »

I put the same drives as you in (WD red). No hub or switch.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

paddymunich wrote:Just got my first NAS (HS-251). I'm trying to transfer a big bunch (1,2 TB) of files from my Time Capsule to the NAS.
What about the third factor: The computer you are using for the transfer - the data path is Time Capsule -> Computer -> NAS - connected to the GbE as well?
paddymunich
New here

Post by paddymunich »

schumaku wrote:
paddymunich wrote:Just got my first NAS (HS-251). I'm trying to transfer a big bunch (1,2 TB) of files from my Time Capsule to the NAS.
What about the third factor: The computer you are using for the transfer - the data path is Time Capsule -> Computer -> NAS - connected to the GbE as well?
All connected to GbE.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Is the NAS under a very high load by whatever processing? Like RAID resync, Media Library or the like thumbnail creation, video transcoding, ...?
paddymunich
New here

Post by paddymunich »

schumaku wrote:Is the NAS under a very high load by whatever processing? Like RAID resync, Media Library or the like thumbnail creation, video transcoding, ...?
Nope. Had just set up the NAS. Using file station to transfer files from TC to NAS, no Raid, no processes. I will try again tonight using a usb cable. Thanks for your help, I'll let you know if this works
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

paddymunich wrote:Using file station to transfer files from TC to NAS
Uh ... how?

Mounted the Time Capsule shared folder on your computer, and using the File Station Java plugin?

Manually mounted the TC into a NAS shared folder, or using the QTS 4.2 Beta File Station with a remote SMB mount?
paddymunich wrote: I will try again tonight using a usb cable.
Is the source the TC internal storage volume, or an external HDD connected to it?

The TC can not act as a USB storage device - very similar to the QNAP NAS. For TC external storage ... we know the TC is somewhat picky on USB storage and file system (status) ... the NAS should be able to deal with NTFS and HFS+ .. afraid, not using external storage on the TC.
paddymunich
New here

Post by paddymunich »

schumaku wrote:Uh ... how?

Mounted the Time Capsule shared folder on your computer, and using the File Station Java plugin?

Manually mounted the TC into a NAS shared folder, or using the QTS 4.2 Beta File Station with a remote SMB mount?
Indeed Time Capsule mounted on Mac.
No idea about your 2 other options...newbie as I said :)
schumaku wrote:Is the source the TC internal storage volume, or an external HDD connected to it?

The TC can not act as a USB storage device - very similar to the QNAP NAS. For TC external storage ... we know the TC is somewhat picky on USB storage and file system (status) ... the NAS should be able to deal with NTFS and HFS+ .. afraid, not using external storage on the TC.
Source is the TC storage..acting as wifi/ethernet storage so far (no Time Machine)

What really surprised me yesterday was the very low transfer rate, on a brand new system, "virgin" set up..I'm well aware that ethernet transfer rates are not exceptional, but 2,5 mb/s means my 1,5TB will take over a week to copy (provided there are no fails).

If you know of any work around I'd be very grateful!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Still unclear - Time Capsule shared folder mounted on the NAS ... then using File Station with the Java plugin? Odd - because of virtually no current browser does support these Java plugins anymore...
paddymunich
New here

Post by paddymunich »

schumaku wrote:Still unclear - Time Capsule shared folder mounted on the NAS ... then using File Station with the Java plugin? Odd - because of virtually no current browser does support these Java plugins anymore...
Can't say everything for sure..I'm not at home right now.
What I know for sure is that the TC is not mounted on the NAS (I wouldn't even know how to do that).
TC and NAS both mounted on Mac, QTS file station as downloaded/set up yesterday from QNAP's servers. Whether it's under Java I'll have to check tonight.
I did not "play" around or started trying to change settings on my own without understanding or getting help.

What I may try tonight is
1/ transfer TC content via USB to an external HD (that I know for sure is possible and should be relatively fast, USB2)
2/ then connect the external HD to the NAS (USB3)
That should do I hope, and avoid the slow transfer rate?!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Using an external storage for the transfer can make sense.
paddymunich wrote:What I know for sure is that the TC is not mounted on the NAS (I wouldn't even know how to do that).
No prom - in fact you made me checking the mount of the TC in the QTS 4.2 Public Beta 20150612 File Station - Remote Connection.

What worked for me (before QTS 4.2 Beta - not tested on 4.1.4) was mounting a TC share on the NAS (-> http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=3 ... 58#p467458) using the shell. "internal" is the name of the generic NAS-like shared folder on my TC. username is the user name of a user share folder on the TC, 192.168.12.34 is the TC IP.

[~] # mkdir /share/Public/tc
[~] # mkdir /share/Public/tc/internal
[~] # mkdir /share/Public/tc/myusername
[~] # mount.cifs //192.168.12.34/internal /share/Public/tc/internal/ --verbose -o user=myusername,password=mypassword
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.12.34,unc=\\192.168.12.34\internal,user=myusername,pass=**********
[~] # mount.cifs //192.168.12.34/myusername /share/Public/tc/myusername/ --verbose -o user=myusername,password=mypassword
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.12.34,unc=\\192.168.12.34\myusername,user=myusername,pass=**********

Now we can copy the TC content (not Time Machine stuff) direct on File Station form the Public share to ie. Multimedia or whatever.

Can't get this to work with QTS 4.2 20150716 public beta anymore - not form the shell, not from File Station - Remove Connection feature (new with 4.2).
paddymunich
New here

Post by paddymunich »

Thanks Shumaku,

I'll try all options tonight or tomorrow and hopefully succeed. So I can finally use and enjoy the HS-251's features :)
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

they just released a newer model :mrgreen:

HS-251+
https://www.qnap.com/i/en/product/model.php?II=197

QNAP Announces Fanless HS-251+ with Quad-core Intel Processor, HDMI, and Transcoding Acceleration for a Thrilling Audiovisual Experience
https://www.qnap.com/i/en/news/con_show ... ne&cid=465
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Mac OS”