The share doesn't exist

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
IainF
Getting the hang of things

The share doesn't exist

Post by IainF »

Hi
using TS-459 pro with mac running latest version of Yosemite. Now lost ability to use shared folders on the NAS.
When I click on the (AFP) named NAS in the Finder it instantly shows me the shared folders. When I try to connect the dialog box greys out and I get the rotating 'circle of lines' until eventually I get a message saying the share doesn't exist on the server.
I've reset the NAS, then reset the passwords (no odd characters in the passwords) for the shares but no help.
the problem exists both for my MacBook Pro and my Mac Mini. Not sure if this is a Yosemite or QNAP firmware problem. BTW I can log onto the NAS via my browser as normal
I've reset the PRAM and rebuilt the Macbook Pro directory with disk warrior.
Any thoughts
Cheers
Iain
IainF

Update Re: The share doesn't exist

Post by IainF »

So,
after scanning the forum I found that access was set to 'deny'. I've gone through all the users permissions dialog boxes that I can find and set them all to allow read/write access.
I now find that a couple of the shares mount normally but a couple don't. Can't find any rhyme or reason as to why this should be the case.
Checked the filesystem without effect.
Can still access everything via the browser but cannot mount some shares.
Any thoughts
Cheers
Iain
BTW 4x3Tb WD Red drives, all report OK. Latest firmware, (problems date from around time of update)
IainF

Update 2Re: The share doesn't exist

Post by IainF »

Okay,
I checked that my backup was OK and then created a new share and moved all the content of the share that wouldn't mount into the new share and bingo, everything is OK.

So now I can mount all the shares on my MacBook Pro with no problems. Bizarrely however, I find that now I can only mount shares on my headless macmini by using the "go to server' dialog box and putting in the IP manually. Mounting via the Finder doesn't work! I've rebuilt the directory using disk warrior, used ** to do all the maintenance stuff, the only thing I haven't done is zap the PRAM

Puzzling

Will keep going.
Cheers
Iain
pwilson
Guru

Re: Update 2Re: The share doesn't exist

Post by pwilson »

IainF wrote:Okay,
I checked that my backup was OK and then created a new share and moved all the content of the share that wouldn't mount into the new share and bingo, everything is OK.

So now I can mount all the shares on my MacBook Pro with no problems. Bizarrely however, I find that now I can only mount shares on my headless macmini by using the "go to server' dialog box and putting in the IP manually. Mounting via the Finder doesn't work! I've rebuilt the directory using disk warrior, used ** to do all the maintenance stuff, the only thing I haven't done is zap the PRAM

Puzzling

Will keep going.
Cheers
Iain
Lovely monologue. If you want help with this issue, please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
IainF

Re: The share doesn't exist

Post by IainF »

Thanks,

I was just amusing myself until you came by, (I knew you would)

Tried to include some information but obviously not enough for you to venture any kind of opinion...

Thanks though

Cheers

Iain

Return to “Mac OS”