Error -50 when moving files from one AFP share to another

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
chichi67
Starting out

Error -50 when moving files from one AFP share to another

Post by chichi67 »

Hi,
with all of my macs (mbp 10.8.5, mac mini 10.7.5, mac mini 10.6.8 the old server that should move to my qnap 651) I have the same problem - it is impossible to move files from share another I always get the unknown error occured (-50) message.
Anyone an idea what's the rason for this - as all macs have different os I think the reason is some faulty config on the NAS. As also a windows machine connects to the NAS I need also SMB sharing, but not for the macs s I want to void all the . files.

Regards
pwilson
Guru

Re: Error -50 when moving files from one AFP share to anothe

Post by pwilson »

chichi67 wrote:Hi,
with all of my macs (mbp 10.8.5, mac mini 10.7.5, mac mini 10.6.8 the old server that should move to my qnap 651) I have the same problem - it is impossible to move files from share another I always get the unknown error occured (-50) message.
Anyone an idea what's the rason for this - as all macs have different os I think the reason is some faulty config on the NAS. As also a windows machine connects to the NAS I need also SMB sharing, but not for the macs s I want to void all the . files.

Regards
SMB is the preferred protocol to use for the NAS, for everything except TimeMachine. Even Apple moved from AFP to SMB2 as of Mavericks. Check with other OS X users for clarification, or review MacWindows.com article: OS X Mavericks to use Microsoft SMB2 for default file sharing

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
dsmithdewarcom
Easy as a breeze

Post by dsmithdewarcom »

It sounds like you are trying to move/copy all your files from "the old server" to the NAS. Is that correct? I have experienced issues with trying to use the Finder to copy large numbers of files, especially if some have problematic names, the entire operation just fails part way through with the unhelpful error message.

Have you tried copying the files with the terminal? I find this is pretty bulletproof for copying large amounts of data and many thousands of files and folders between afp shares.
chichi67
Starting out

Post by chichi67 »

Copying the via finder is slow, but I use labels and I think that's the only way to have them on the NAS when using SMB.

One major concern that could make me stay with AFP (Currently I have several dirs on the server two times in AFP style and in SMB) is the bad performance on my used OSes - opening a directory with >3000 files takes 8secs in AFP (10.8.5) but undiscussable 2mins when being connected via SMB (both via WLAN).

For test issues I updated my MacMini to 10.9 to see if there is performance increase when using Mavericks and still there is a huge difference (22secs AFP - 39secs SMB).

So are there any tweaks to improve SMB speed on Mavericks?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Avoid using folders with thousands of files - it is ineffective in any aspect. Lots of resources required on the server (no matter NAS or OS X) side.
chichi67
Starting out

Post by chichi67 »

Still I'm struggling with my initial problem - I can't copy files from one share to another is there anyone that knows a solution for this? It is possible to copy the files from one share on the NAS to any of my macs and then back to another share - why isn't it working directly, but even here I see a weird result with the users/group access rights of this files - all the NAS users aren't setup on my mac but they appear in the list, a greyedout group loading exist and finally the group for all files is the same as my username, but this group doesn't exist on my mac.

I recognized that the group for many of my files on the NAS is administrator (gid=0), which is group wheel on 10.6.8 and on 10.9 it's another one again, but changing it for all to staff using the terminal didn't solve my problem either.

So any suggestions? Or is Qnap the wrong choice when using AFP - in another post some said he moved to different system and all his trouble using AFP was gone!

As öong as Apple SMBx implentation is faulty, as mentioned in lots of posts/articles in the internet I will stay with AFP.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

chichi67 wrote:Still I'm struggling with my initial problem - I can't copy files from one share to another is there anyone that knows a solution for this? It is possible to copy the files from one share on the NAS to any of my macs and then back to another share - why isn't it working directly, but even here I see a weird result with the users/group access rights of this files - all the NAS users aren't setup on my mac but they appear in the list, a greyedout group loading exist and finally the group for all files is the same as my username, but this group doesn't exist on my mac.

I recognized that the group for many of my files on the NAS is administrator (gid=0), which is group wheel on 10.6.8 and on 10.9 it's another one again, but changing it for all to staff using the terminal didn't solve my problem either.

So any suggestions? Or is Qnap the wrong choice when using AFP - in another post some said he moved to different system and all his trouble using AFP was gone!

As öong as Apple SMBx implentation is faulty, as mentioned in lots of posts/articles in the internet I will stay with AFP.
Why are you copying everything via a Mac in the first place?

Why not simply copy from "Share1" to "Share2" right on the NAS itself? This would be a lot faster, and you wouldn't have to deal with any of Apple's network protocols at all:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/cp -rpav $(testparm -s -l --section-name=Share1 --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null)/ \
$(testparm -s -l --section-name=Share2 --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null)/
Check out: [youtube=J_8ZsXP1EYk]▶ SSH with Mac Terminal[/youtube]

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

pwilson wrote:Why are you copying everything via a Mac in the first place?
One reason is to keep the Mac specific attributes like tags, coloring, ...
chichi67
Starting out

The smartest solution imho

Post by chichi67 »

After thinking sometime I dediced to give symbolic links a try - and that's the perfect solution, at least it is alink aggregation (is the one for SMB done the same way?)

-moves are done directly on the NAS within <1sec, so can I can do sorting of files at any time from any mac
-attributes from afp are still there

How to do:

1. Generate a new share if needed, with exclusive access so no one else can do move/copy within this share (alternatively you can add them to an original private share - even your home should be possible)
2. ssh to the NAS
3. cd /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/nameofthenewshare. (Of course nameofthenewshare is the name you gave in the gui)
4. for each original share you want to have in the aggregation folder execute
ln -s ../nameoforigshare nameoforigshare (nameoforigshare is the name of the original share)
5. exit ssh

When you now connect to th new share you see the original folders and you can copy/move ....

Regards

Return to “Mac OS”