Sharing an external usb disk on a Ts412

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
paulsutt
First post

Sharing an external usb disk on a Ts412

Post by paulsutt »

Hi,
I've just purchased a used Ts412. This unit is far more complex than the horrible Iomega I had. However I have several problems.

The first is I have a usb disk I'd like to share...when I'm connecting with my smart TV the disk isn't showing. On my Mac I can see the disk in the file structure so I know it's mounted.

Is this something to do with DNLA settings?

On my old NAS I just plugged it in a usb disk showed.

Please help

Thanks
pwilson
Guru

Re: Sharing an external usb disk on a Ts412

Post by pwilson »

paulsutt wrote:Hi,
I've just purchased a used Ts412. This unit is far more complex than the horrible Iomega I had. However I have several problems.

The first is I have a usb disk I'd like to share...when I'm connecting with my smart TV the disk isn't showing. On my Mac I can see the disk in the file structure so I know it's mounted.

Is this something to do with DNLA settings?

On my old NAS I just plugged it in a usb disk showed.

Please help

Thanks
Which DLNA Server? Twonky? QNAP? Plex? Maxim?

You should never share "detachable" devices via DLNA. Simply copy the media files from /share/USBDisk1 to /share/Multimedia (or a subfolder thereof), and it will be shared out from there.

Subsequently removing the USB device will corrupt the database of the undisclosed DLNA Server if you attempt to use index data on an externally attached device.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “Mac OS”