Mounting QNAP vis USB in OSX

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
joechin
New here

Mounting QNAP vis USB in OSX

Post by joechin »

Does any one know if this is possible and how to do it?

I want to connect my macbook pro to the NAS via USB and have it mount in OSX as if it was a standard USB external drive.

Thanks,
Joe
pwilson
Guru

Re: Mounting QNAP vis USB in OSX

Post by pwilson »

That is great way of letting the "smoke out", of your devices.
It is unlikely to cause a fire, but it could destroy the USB controller chips of both devices if you attempt it.

:shock:

Don't do it.

Your NAS is a NAS,
Your NAS is not a DAS device.

Mount your NAS on your OS X machine via SMB2 as documented in the fine manual.
Guess what the "N" in "NAS" stand for..... :roll:
Last edited by christian on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fullquote deleted.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
joechin
New here

Post by joechin »

I agree with all of this. Sadly, I am in a situation where I've purchased a new mbp and want to do a restore from time machine but it keeps failing over wifi...

Looks like I'll need to get a new router or a ethernet attachement or both to do the restore.

Thanks,
Joe
Last edited by christian on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fullquote deleted.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

joechin wrote: Sadly, I am in a situation where I've purchased a new mbp and want to do a restore from time machine but it keeps failing over wifi...

Looks like I'll need to get a new router or a ethernet attachement or both to do the restore.
Ethernet cables are cheap. Wi-Fi if you have to, but Gigabit Ethernet if possible. Time Machine needs AFP enabled too.

From the fine manual: Apple Networking

[quote=""Apple Networking""]

Apple Networking

To connect to the NAS from Mac, enable Apple Filing Protocol. If the AppleTalk network uses extended networks and is assigned with multiple zones, assign a zone name to the NAS. Enter an asterisk (*) to use the default setting. This setting is disabled by default. To allow access to the NAS from Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, enable "DHX2 authentication support". Click "Apply" to save the settings. You can use the Finder to connect to a shared folder from Mac. Go to "Go" > "Connect to Server", or simply use the default keyboard shortcut "Command+k". Enter the connection information in the "Server Address" field, such as "afp://YOUR_NAS_IP_OR_HOSTNAME".
Here are some examples:
  • [url]afp://10.8.12.111[/url]
  • [url]afp://NAS-559[/url]
  • [url]smb://192.168.1.159[/url]
[/quote]

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “Mac OS”