[REQ] Please improve AFP support/performances

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
kegon
New here

Re: [REQ] Please improve AFP support/performances

Post by kegon »

sykane wrote:No new firmware yet... im having a TS-859 Pro+ and im waiting desperately for it.
Good luck!

My NAS crashes every other day, copying data over the webinterface it ruined lots of data, scheduled backups just stop working with no notice... It's useless.

As to one of the moderators here, they found bugs, so the release is delayed. At least they find bugs now... To release 3.8.0 was irresponsible. To celebrate Chinese NewYear when 3.8.1 is out is a slap in the face of the customers... I think, they are just making fun us here or they just lost control over their firmware development. If 3.8.2 is as buggy as the other versions, my ts-210 goes where it belongs - the trash. Would not even try to sell it, how could I take money from someone for such a useless device? Even as a gift it would be recognized as a Danae-Present...
TS-210 (Vers. 3.7.3 after trying 3.8.1)
Purpose: Host my iTunes and iPhoto libraries
2x Seagate ST2000VX000-9YW1CV13 (2TB each) configured as RAID1 - Backup on Hitachi USB-Disk every 24h
2x USB Disk (Hitachi HTS547575A9E384 and Toshiba External USB 3.0)
Services: AFP
Roaming Airport Network (Extreme and Timecapsule)
Access is restricted to LAN-IPs
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

kegon wrote:My NAS crashes every other day, copying data over the webinterface it ruined lots of data, scheduled backups just stop working with no notice... It's useless.
So there is something wrong on _your_ NAS, the HDD, the installation, ... nothing near to normal behaviour. I would not be here in the community forum if this would be anywhere near to standard.
kegon wrote:To release 3.8.0 was irresponsible. To celebrate Chinese NewYear when 3.8.1 is out is a slap in the face of the customers...
Disputable - all I can say here is the unlucky media database indexing does use a lot of resources - for a while. This can lead to very slow operations - especially on these low-resource-powered units.
kegon wrote:I think, they are just making fun us here or they just lost control over their firmware development. If 3.8.2 is as buggy as the other versions, my ts-210 goes where it belongs - the trash. Would not even try to sell it, how could I take money from someone for such a useless device?
Again - your NAS has an issue, being NAS hardware, HDD hardware, NAS set-up, configuration, file system, resource availability (i.e. the number of processes, QPKF installed and operational, ...).

Installing any old (or earlier) firmware will very unlikely fix anything from this NAS current status.
snoeiman
Starting out

Post by snoeiman »

This morning installed 3.8.2, AFP improvement is very good!

ONLY PROBLEM is some files (for sure Illustrator AI) are disappearing when saved via the AFP or SMB protocol. Viewing via the Web File Manager the files are there.... :? Nice....

So down to 3.8.1 again on my TS-459RP (and taking the slow connection and speed for granted)

Please fix this!
QNAP TS-459U-RP | TS410
sykane
New here

Post by sykane »

snoeiman wrote: ONLY PROBLEM is some files (for sure Illustrator AI) are disappearing when saved via the AFP or SMB protocol. Viewing via the Web File Manager the files are there.... :? Nice....
So you are opening the Files straight from the Server via AFP?
Did you try to restart the server and see if files are showing up again?

But good to know... so i still will need to wait for another update... thinking now of Switching al my 4 Servers to S******y!
snoeiman
Starting out

Post by snoeiman »

@sykane

Yes I'm opening them directly via AFP, when I want to save them to another share on the NAS, it does that but they are hidden. Also tried your suggested solutions to solve this...
QNAP TS-459U-RP | TS410
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

snoeiman wrote:ONLY PROBLEM is some files (for sure Illustrator AI) are disappearing when saved via the AFP or SMB protocol. Viewing via the Web File Manager the files are there.... :? Nice....
Would you mind to post a screenshot of both a working and an non-working (hidden) file from the Web File Manager view please?
snoeiman wrote:Yes I'm opening them directly via AFP, when I want to save them to another share on the NAS, it does that but they are hidden.
So this is an issue only if storing on another share - and does not happen on the same share?

Using the NAS with plain share-based security, or with Advanced Folder Permissions enabled?
snoeiman
Starting out

Post by snoeiman »

Sorry I don't have a screenshot of the situation with the new firmware. I only can say if I enabled the "show hidden files" command in OSX I could see the files.
If I saved the files on the same share there were no problems as far as I quickly tested (rolled back quite fast, QNAP is our main storage for my designers).
When I opened a file and the saved it to a share via e.g. Illustrator on the QNAP the file "disappeared". I did not test it if this also happened if the file was put on the share via the Finder, sorry.

The Adv. Folder. Perm. is enabled.
QNAP TS-459U-RP | TS410
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Ok, if you have an eye in WFM or on the NAS Linux shell - what is the Unix protection mask on these hidden files - 660, 770, 666, 777?
snoeiman
Starting out

Post by snoeiman »

I'm very sorry, I've deleted all those hidden files via de WFM.... and afterwards rolled back. Will do some more investigation next time...
QNAP TS-459U-RP | TS410
saibarspeis
New here

Post by saibarspeis »

I have a TS-212 with firmware 4.0.2 installed and I have several macs with OSX Mavericks. The afp shares in this nas are crap. I had another DLink DNS-320 which is a garbage but works flawlessly and I was never forced to cleanup any .Apple* files or anything. It just worked.

Problems:
1. When creating users or changing permisssions I have to wait almost a full 25 minutes before I can access the AFP shares again. Meanwhile the mac says that either the server is unavailable or the mountpoint does not exist (but it presents me with the list of shares and I can see them), meantime in the TS-212 afpd is having a full slice of the CPU and ram doing God knows what. Generating and loading a configuration file should not be such a daunting task.

2. When accessing the afp shares, writing or reading data, even on the last crappy nas from D-Link using a 5Ghz AP with 40Hz spread I was able to reach almost 12 MB/s with the nas. With the new TS-212 I can barely see 6MB/s. Changing directories seems to put the TS-212 to a lot of stress, again I don't know why.

3. All the Qnap web interface is working slow, everything I do on the interface relates to heavy CPU loads in the background from some .cgi processes which for the better of me I don't know why they take so long to execute.

4. Twonky server works crappy on this NAS. On the old DNS-320 (which does not support Twonky, I've funpluged it and installed Twonky and Transmission under root account) it worked beautifully from AN USB HARD DRIVE. In TS-212 which supports it officially it crashes in the middle of the movie saying the file format is invalid. I've tried tweaking the buffers, changing permissions, moving the movie in an internal hard drive of the TS-212 but the result is the same.

5. If you unmount a shared afp directory on a mac, when you try to mount it back you have REBOOT THE MAC in order to get it to work again. What the hell ????

I don't know why Qnap uses this implementation of afp since there are obviously better out there. When will this be fixed and why is not until now?
I don't get how this product which for me seems like a very good idea and I was planning to get another one, can have this much amount of problems at almost any level. UI level, process level, serving and configuration level, etc.

If you guys are older and much wiser than me on these subjects please direct me to the correct resource or support channel so I can have a swing at this NAS. I like it as an idea but I hate the way it works right now and I consider it a waste of money and time.

Thank you in advance.
pawi
Starting out

Post by pawi »

Fully agree!!
In the meantime i wasted days and money to find out that nothing helps, and i lost a lot of my files!! Be warned..
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

@saibarspeis
With that much trouble, I suggest you to go for a mac mini with ssd inside + direct xternal attach storage and virtualbox for the many free open source available software. pfsense, own cloud, xeams, asterisk …

gud luck

Return to “Mac OS”