3.8.2 update issue - please help

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

3.8.2 update issue - please help

Post by VincentM »

PDF file creation become invisible on the sharepoint after nas firmware update.

files are there but invisible.

AFP sharing

anyone else experience such issue?
LarsN
Experience counts

Re: .8.2 update issue - please help

Post by LarsN »

No, that's a new one, so far two other file types have had the same problem though, so I've added this to the bug list.
Which model are you using?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Would you mind to post a screenshot of both a working and an non-working (hidden) file from the Web File Manager view please?

@QNAPLars: Odd enough - all are Adobe apps...
andyE
Getting the hang of things

Post by andyE »

Just would like to mention another file that gets hidden in the MAC OSX finder when looking into a directory on my NAS over AFP. The file could be seen before updating to FW 8.2 in the finder, but after the update it's now hidden. It can be seen with the Web File Manager. The extension is '.settings' and that's a file my backup program updates with each backup.

Finder suddenly only shows:
Screen Shot 2013-03-11 at 17.41.38.png
Web File Manager shows:
Screen Shot 2013-03-11 at 17.40.31.png
So seems to be a problem with just the opposite. Hidden in OSX but can be seen on NAS. I don't have that issue with PDF's here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andyE
Switzerland
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Andy,
Can you please extend the WFM screenshot to include owner and group? Thank you!
-Kurt.
andyE

Post by andyE »

Hi Kurt,

oops, I cut it .... here we go:
Screen Shot 2013-03-11 at 18.49.45.png
The file Owner on the WFM is the same one as logged in on the Mac side as User.

Have a nice evening !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andyE
Switzerland
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Dankä Andy!

I've suspected the owner changed unexpectedly. Clueless...

What happens if the .settings file is changed to 666 - does it become visible ? Strange files stored on the NAS (by AFP or SAMBA) are on 777. But then - this should not hide'em. You get the idea.

-Kurt.
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

TS 239 PII
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

Screen Cap

PDF Generated from indesign
Last edited by VincentM on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
andyE

Post by andyE »

@schumaku

Hi Kurt,

Really appreciate your help.

I did some further testing here:
What happens if the .settings file is changed to 666 - does it become visible ?
There is no change at all if the .settings file is altered to 666 (or whatever access rights that could make sense here). The file will not become visible on OS X over AFP.
If I do a copy of that file from the NAS onto my Mac the file will not become visible in the OS X finder (as expected I guess) but I can see the copied file in the terminal sitting there.
Strange files stored on the NAS (by AFP or SAMBA) are on 777. But then - this should not hide'em.
I definitely agree that this might be a strange file name (with the extension .settings) that gets hidden when updated after each backup task.

So I did some more digging into it and created a new backup set on the NAS with my backup-programm (I use Smartbackup from freeridecoding.com - I lightweight backup tool, but it perfectly fits my needs) and see what happens. The backup-programm creates for a new backup instance a set of two files. One is the .settings file, the other one is a .log file (btw. simple text inside) and the rest is the backup bunch itself in its own folder structure.
Funny thing is, both the two files get created but both are now not shown looking at the NAS from the OS X finder. This is contrary to when backing-up to existing backup sets on the NAS where just the .settings file gets hidden, but the .log file is further visible. So now with a new backup set creating I get two files hidden on the NAS.

Just to clarify a bit further; the files that I want to backup, like my data and .log or other hidden system files on my Mac don't get hidden in the backup sets on the NAS. It's just the two files that Smartbackup creates for its own use.

For me it all remains strange because before updating the NAS FW to 3.8.2 there where no hidden files at all. But maybe for the unix geeks this is explainable.

On OS X if I change the invisible .settings and .log files with the chflags command they get visible again in the finder. But I am not aware of a similar linux command to be used on the NAS that would allow me to unhide those files.

Lot's of writing but hopefully not too confusing.
andyE
Switzerland
andyE

Post by andyE »

Probably it would have been wiser to have posted my comment and findings in a new thread, then in here cause we are heading in different directions. Sorry!

I further figured out that since the update with FW 3.8.2 each time that my backup-programm runs its backup task, the .settings file on the NAS gets 'execute' rights applied for all (owner, group, others). This did not happen before FW 3.8.2.

Here a screenshot from before and after running a backup task to the NAS:
Screen Shot 2013-03-12 at 12.36.09.png
But still changing the execute rights back to what they used to be (-rw-rw-rw-) doesn't make the file unhidden again.

Therefore no idea here why execute rights suddenly get applied and no idea why the .settings file suddenly gets hidden.
andyE
Switzerland
Mforcer
Know my way around

Post by Mforcer »

It seems similar issue have occurred in the past between Netatalk and Adobe software:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/632632
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/941001

Perhaps another upgrade to the Netatalk software is required.
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

not only generated pdf from adobe which are invisible.

unzipping a zipped pdf on the nas also result in an invisible pdf file.
Mforcer
Know my way around

Post by Mforcer »

Still no answer, but perhaps a clue: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.networ ... user/21929
I recently upgraded from Netatalk 2.x to 3.0.2.

My older config was using "usedots,invisibledots".

Now after upgrading to Netatalk 3.0.2 I configured "invisible dots=yes" as my older config
was using that option.

After that every mac client saving from for an example, Adobe Illustrator directly on the server
didn't see the files. They are hidden.

As soon as I changed invisible dots=no every files saved from Illustrator was correctly seen
and everything worked as before.

So the question, why does invisible dots option behavior differ from Netatalk 2.x and Netatalk 3.x ?
How do we change invisible dots=no ?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

AFAIK can Finder be configured to show hidden files. I would expect the hidden is stored as an extended attribute - that's why changing the mask alone does not help.

What certainly works to unhide a file is open a terminal, type a the prompt

Code: Select all

chflags unhidden
and drop the file from Finder to the terminal - this will add the full path, instead of typing:

Code: Select all

chflags unhidden [file-path]
Still unclear why Adobe apps tend to do silly things...

Return to “Mac OS”