Adding device to service, password error

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
msb-ab
Starting out

Adding device to service, password error

Post by msb-ab »

Hi @ll,
I have a TS-221 (4.0.7) running, using also the myqnapcloud service.
Recently, I bougt another device (TS-110, also 4.0.7) in order to use it as a backup NAS (NAS to NAS, Rsync, RTRR, I'll have to check which one to choose). Hence, I'd like to add this second device to my myqnapcloud account.

Trying to do so on the TS-110, I get a popup telling me I would be using the wrong password. Don't worry, it's correct, I have entered it many times and also copied and pasted it, it does not work. However, using this very password I can log into my account at https://www.myqnapcloud.com without any problems.

I have discovered that the password I can enter in the user interface of my TS-110 is limited to a length of 16. The password I use to log into https://www.myqnapcloud.com has 20. Maybe it is necessary to change the password and limit it to 16 characters?

However, I don't quite get how I got my first device into the myqnapcloud service then...
Does the device keep being logged in when I change the password? I can't remember having changed my password lately.

Thanks
Marc
pwilson
Guru

Re: Adding device to service, password error

Post by pwilson »

msb-ab wrote:Hi @ll,
I have a TS-221 (4.0.7) running, using also the myqnapcloud service.
Recently, I bougt another device (TS-110, also 4.0.7) in order to use it as a backup NAS (NAS to NAS, Rsync, RTRR, I'll have to check which one to choose). Hence, I'd like to add this second device to my myqnapcloud account.

Trying to do so on the TS-110, I get a popup telling me I would be using the wrong password. Don't worry, it's correct, I have entered it many times and also copied and pasted it, it does not work. However, using this very password I can log into my account at https://www.myqnapcloud.com without any problems.

I have discovered that the password I can enter in the user interface of my TS-110 is limited to a length of 16. The password I use to log into https://www.myqnapcloud.com has 20. Maybe it is necessary to change the password and limit it to 16 characters?

However, I don't quite get how I got my first device into the myqnapcloud service then...
Does the device keep being logged in when I change the password? I can't remember having changed my password lately.

Thanks
Marc
Your MyQNAPCloud service points to your "Router". You can therefore only have a single MyQNAPCloud address, as you only have a single Public IP address. Do not register more than a single MyQNAPCloud address.

This single MyQNAPCloud address can be used with multiple NAS devices, if you operate each NAS on different ports.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
msb-ab
Starting out

Re: AW: Adding device to service, password error

Post by msb-ab »

Hi!
Thanks for the reply.

Are you sure it is as you described?
The new device will let me choose to create a new myqnapcloud account or use an existing one. Choosing the latter, I am prompted to enter my ID and password and then let me choose a (new) device name at will.

If the myqnapcloud service - as you say - was limited to one address (adress1234.myqnapcloud.com) then I wonder why I am asked to enter any new device name when I try using an existing account. The service should, if it was "intelligent" enough, assign that already existing address automatically to a second device and not prompt for a desired address when I would like to use an existing account.

I also wonder about the purpose of the service (in case of that limitation), as it would force all users to make possibly complicated router settings in order to decide between the two devices via port number. That limitation would also force the users to have their second NAS placed in the same network as the first one (physically).

My idea behind it was putting the second NAS somewhere else in the world :) and then using the remote replication to make backups. It's no use for me backing up in the same house. Even an 16 bay NAS would not have any data left in case of a fire. :)
Sure, I could create a second myqnapcloud account and I will if absolutely necessary. But I was thinking of using one account for two devices and also two addresses.

However, my inital problem still exists as I cannot login into my existing account (via QTS), regardless of using an existing address or not. I will try and set a 16-digit password for the service via browser and then see if QTS (which obviously is limited to 16 digits) will accept it.

Thanks again
Marc
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Well - the misunderstanding is that adress1234.myqnapcloud.com is not an address, but a FQDN. Each NAS does get it's own device name, so each has it's own FQDN. But when it's back on the 30+years old IPv4 addressing an the address space shortage, you have a NAT router, where only one NAS can be reached on port 80/TCP, 443/TCP, 8080/TCP, ... because each port can only exist once on a single IPv4 address typically assigned to your home router WAN/Internet interface.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

mysteryliner wrote:So couldn't you operate multiple devices under one router & mycloudnas.com account by just adding/changing 1 number to the port of that NAS (and port forward list of the router) ?
Yes, of course - however, there is no guidance to unify the ports by the myQNAPcloud.com (mycloudnas.com is legacy and no longer available starting with QTS 4) assistant.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”