Been discussed before - mapping a drive to QNAP root?

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
rodelu
Starting out

Been discussed before - mapping a drive to QNAP root?

Post by rodelu »

I'm sorry if this is a repeat but I've been searching for a solution for days now.

I want to map drive x: to \\QNAP1 which is the first QNAP device I've ever had so far.

The thing is I had this done and working perfectly and then I rebooted the QNAP and lost the mapping. Been reading here that this is not possible without using something called aggregation but I swear to you all I did have this working... but I can't seem to get it going again.

I can map drives to "\\QNAP1\downloads" and all the other folders with no problem. (why is there a "home" and a "homes" folder????) I just can't get to map a drive to "\\QNAP1" - apparently it can't be done???
I did have it working but have no clue how but I know I am not crazy and I did not use aggregation. Help a newbie please!

I have a TS-421 with 4x3Tb red drives, have QTS 4.1.0 and I am running Windows 7 Home Premium edition.
pwilson
Guru

Re: Been discussed before - mapping a drive to QNAP root?

Post by pwilson »

rodelu wrote:I'm sorry if this is a repeat but I've been searching for a solution for days now.

I want to map drive x: to \\QNAP1 which is the first QNAP device I've ever had so far.

The thing is I had this done and working perfectly and then I rebooted the QNAP and lost the mapping. Been reading here that this is not possible without using something called aggregation but I swear to you all I did have this working... but I can't seem to get it going again.

I can map drives to "\\QNAP1\downloads" and all the other folders with no problem. (why is there a "home" and a "homes" folder????) I just can't get to map a drive to "\\QNAP1" - apparently it can't be done???
I did have it working but have no clue how but I know I am not crazy and I did not use aggregation. Help a newbie please!

I have a TS-421 with 4x3Tb red drives, have QTS 4.1.0 and I am running Windows 7 Home Premium edition.
If you insist on using depreciated Windows 95 style "Drive Mapping", you could try actually reading the fine manual to figure it out properly.

If you are too impatient to actually read the manual, simply access the command prompt of Windows and run:

Code: Select all

net use M: \\QNAP1\Multimedia /persistent:yes
net use N: \\QNAP1\Download  /persistent:yes
net use P: \\QNAP1\Public /persistent:yes

Personally I'd recommend simply using UNC paths as needed. If you type "\\QNAP1\Multimedia" in the address bar of Windows Explorer, it will access the "Multimedia" share on "\\QNAP1" without any drive mapping whatsoever. :roll:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
rodelu
Starting out

Post by rodelu »

pwilson wrote:
rodelu wrote:I'm sorry if this is a repeat but I've been searching for a solution for days now.

If you insist on using depreciated Windows 95 style "Drive Mapping", you could try actually reading the fine manual to figure it out properly.

If you are too impatient to actually read the manual, simply access the command prompt of Windows and run:

Personally I'd recommend simply using UNC paths as needed. If you type "\\QNAP1\Multimedia" in the address bar of Windows Explorer, it will access the "Multimedia" share on "\\QNAP1" without any drive mapping whatsoever. :roll:
Hi Patrick,

You obviously did not read my posting carefully as what you suggested is what I already know what to. If you had read carefully you would see that your answer does not cover my question.
I see that you are a moderator, I see you have thousands of postings, you probably do this for free out of your own time which, I am sure, is a great asset to this board.
I have noticed, though, that some of your postings are rather offensive in a rather passive-aggressive manner and condescending. While new at this NAS business maybe, some of us have been around a long time and do not appreciate your tone. Yes you do offer some help. No, it is not the right answer. And we could dispense with the higher than thou attitude.

I don't know if you have the power to delete my posts or ban me, if so, so be it but if you are going to help do it in a nice way nobody needs to be talked down to here, least of all me.

Have a nice day.
TS-421
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

pwilson wrote:If you insist on using depreciated Windows 95 style "Drive Mapping", you could try actually reading the fine manual to figure it out properly.

rodelu wrote:You obviously did not read my posting carefully as what you suggested is what I already know what to. If you had read carefully you would see that your answer does not cover my question.

Actually I did read it very carefully. You want to map a Server "\\QNAP" to a drive letter "X:", which is impossible. You can only map "shares" not "servers". I tried to provide something that will work for you. Sorry I wasted your time.

I chose not to answer your question about the "homes" or "home" shares, as these are well documented in the fine manual.
rodelu wrote: I see that you are a moderator, I see you have thousands of postings, you probably do this for free out of your own time which, I am sure, is a great asset to this board. I have noticed, though, that some of your postings are rather offensive in a rather passive-aggressive manner and condescending. While new at this NAS business maybe, some of us have been around a long time and do not appreciate your tone. Yes you do offer some help. No, it is not the right answer. And we could dispense with the higher than thou attitude.

Don't like my attitude? Simply press the "Next" button. You are under no obligation to read any of my posts.
rodelu wrote:I don't know if you have the power to delete my posts or ban me, if so, so be it but if you are going to help do it in a nice way nobody needs to be talked down to here, least of all me.
I physically have the ability to do both. That said, Moderators here are not permitted to do either of these things, except to Spammers. You are entitled to your opinions, just as I am. I have no desire to do either of these to you anyway. This is a Community Forum, and you are entitled to your own opinions here, whether I agree with them or not is immaterial. (I'm not a fan of censorship).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
rodelu
Starting out

Post by rodelu »

Patrick you said: "You want to map a Server "\\QNAP" to a drive letter "X:", which is impossible."

That would have been a fine first answer, however if you read carefully that is what exactly I had working before I rebooted my QNAP box. I know people say it is impossible, but I had it working since I first set up this box 2 weeks ago. And no, I don't know how I did it, that is why I posted here.

I think you are here to show people how smart you are more than out of the desire for helping out. And no I don't have to read your posts.

And by the way, you did it again, "I could just delete you with a keystroke but I'm not into that, I'll let you live for now, carry on you mortal!"

I will write no more on this my neck is sore looking up at your horse.

Good bye.
TS-421
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Yes, discussed since the existence of QNAP NAS. The "trick" would be to create a "dummy" shared folder using any name, and then manually modify the /etc/config/smb.conf for the shared folder in question - then restart SAMBA for testing, finally the NAS.

Creating a "root" shared folder is strongly discouraged, very similar "stacked" shared folders. Very risky, certainly when enabling and deploying ACL you might be no longer able to access the shared folders anymore. We have seen many user who did so earlier, and run into unexpected issues. Without a read access for a group or a folder (properly deployed to the ACL of the root share - but not not not applied to all shared folders), all these users won't be able to access the shares folders any more for example.

If you are not on a senior level for managing U**x/POSIX ACL - forget it!

Regards,
-Kurt.

PS. I don't maintain any single root share on any NAS deployed at home or in the field.
rodelu
Starting out

Post by rodelu »

schumaku wrote:Yes, discussed since the existence of QNAP NAS. The "trick" would be to create a "dummy" shared folder using any name, and then manually modify the /etc/config/smb.conf for the shared folder in question - then restart SAMBA for testing, finally the NAS.

Creating a "root" shared folder is strongly discouraged, very similar "stacked" shared folders. Very risky, certainly when enabling and deploying ACL you might be no longer able to access the shared folders anymore. We have seen many user who did so earlier, and run into unexpected issues. Without a read access for a group or a folder (properly deployed to the ACL of the root share - but not not not applied to all shared folders), all these users won't be able to access the shares folders any more for example.

If you are not on a senior level for managing U**x/POSIX ACL - forget it!

Regards,
-Kurt.

PS. I don't maintain any single root share on any NAS deployed at home or in the field.
Seems, all in all, that mapping to the root of a NAS is a bad idea :-) - Thank you for your reply and sharing your knowledge.
TS-421
ghostraptor
New here

Post by ghostraptor »

This is not a good idea unless you are an expert, but it is possible to create a file share at the root level of the QNAP. All you do is give it a name and map it to / instead of choosing a folder that is already on the listing... I named mine Qroot. then you can do the mapping that you are wanting and see all your shares without having to map multiple drives. I haven't had the best of luck with their aggregation either with is similar to windows DFS. For a while I was using one of my WS2012 to aggregate with DFS being that QNAP didn't work.... Hope this is helpful!!!

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”