reconfiguration myQNAPcloud after firmware update

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
fabiorayden
New here

reconfiguration myQNAPcloud after firmware update

Post by fabiorayden »

I had registered my Qnap device (TS-210) to myQNAPcloud device and it was accessible both from remote (myuser.myqnapcloud.com) and local (192.168.1.2) without problem.
Due to various problems i do a factory reset and now firmware version is 4.1.

How can i set my myQNAPcloud device name (myuser)?

The second step of myQNAPcloud configuration is "register your myQNAPcloud device name" and it's not possible set a device name that is already registered.
pwilson
Guru

Re: reconfiguration myQNAPcloud after firmware update

Post by pwilson »

fabiorayden wrote:I had registered my Qnap device (TS-210) to myQNAPcloud device and it was accessible both from remote (myuser.myqnapcloud.com) and local (192.168.1.2) without problem.
Due to various problems i do a factory reset and now firmware version is 4.1.

How can i set my myQNAPcloud device name (myuser)?

The second step of myQNAPcloud configuration is "register your myQNAPcloud device name" and it's not possible set a device name that is already registered.
If you restore your /etc/config/qnapddns.conf from your Backup this should resolve the problem for you.

Normally you would do this with:

Code: Select all

cd / ; tar xvfz $(dirname $(getcfg -f /etc/config/smb.conf public path))/.@backup_config/0_$(date +'%Y%m%d' -d 'last wednesday')_0304.tar.gz etc/config/qnapddns.conf --overwrite
Did you backup your settings prior to doing the Factory Reset?
If you didn't bother to do a settings backup, then you'll need to wait for your MyQNAPCloud ID to "expire" at QNAP's end (28 days I believe), and then you can re-register the same name again.

As long as your external IP address hasn't changed since before you did your Factory Reset, you should be fine until it does actually expire. I recently started from scratch here too, so I had to retrieve my previous backups in order to restore this file. Fortunately I'm paranoid, so I make plenty of backups. (I wanted to migrate from a legacy Storage Volume, to a new QTS v4.x Storage Pool, so I had to wipe my drives to do so).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

fabiorayden wrote:The second step of myQNAPcloud configuration is "register your myQNAPcloud device name" and it's not possible set a device name that is already registered.
Simple deal - go to https://www.myqnapcloud.com/ - sign-in, select the NAS in the left pane under my Devices, and use the [Device Details] tab - top right you find the [Unregister] button. Now you can re-register under the same name.

In my opinion it should be possible to re-register the same device name using the same QNAPid it it's off-line and after issuing a warning and let the user confirm. Discussed with the QNAP RD and infrastructure people already.

Enjoy!
-Kurt.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

schumaku wrote:
fabiorayden wrote:The second step of myQNAPcloud configuration is "register your myQNAPcloud device name" and it's not possible set a device name that is already registered.
Simple deal - go to https://www.myqnapcloud.com/ - sign-in, select the NAS in the left pane under my Devices, and use the [Device Details] tab - top right you find the [Unregister] button. Now you can re-register under the same name.

In my opinion it should be possible to re-register the same device name using the same QNAPid it it's off-line and after issuing a warning and let the user confirm. Discussed with the QNAP RD and infrastructure people already.

Enjoy!
-Kurt.
That definitely sounds easier to do than what I did. :ashamed: :D

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Hey Patrick, I like the idea with the restore from the backup - the on-NAS backup tar files are gone with a scratch re-install or a factroy reset (I would hope at least...) :ashamed:
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

schumaku wrote:Hey Patrick, I like the idea with the restore from the backup - the on-NAS backup tar files are gone with a scratch re-install or a factroy reset (I would hope at least...) :ashamed:
True, but the Backups from the Backup/Restore Settings feature (used immediately prior to doing the "factory reset") are downloaded to a the local PC, so they can be restored easily.

I personally backup my "Settings Backups" to an external destination, so I always have access to them. (Perhaps it is naive of me to assume that other people also do the same thing). I typically have 3 backups of everything, including this weeks backup, last weeks backup, and the previous weeks backup is stored off-site.

I'm too lazy to rebuild from scratch when disaster hits, so I maintain a good backup strategy so that I don't need to do so. An automated backup takes no work from me, (once the script and cron event are setup), so even my backups involve some laziness on my part. My biggest investment in time for my backups is in the act of rotating my backups at my parents home. (My parents always have my 2 week old backup at their home).

(Go for Sunday supper, and rotate my backup while I'm there). :lol:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

fabiorayden
New here

Post by fabiorayden »

Thanks for the answers,
Did you backup your settings prior to doing the Factory Reset?
No, i didn't, i do a backup of my data, but not of settings.

Enjoy!
-Kurt.
I did a bit of confusion in the myqnapcloud faq between 7th question and 8th.
Question: Why can I still use my previously registered myQNAPcloud DNS hostname to access my device after I have changed my device name or disabled the service?
Answer: Each DNS server of your Internet Service Provider stores the results of DNS queries for a short period of time in its local database to boost performance. It can take an hour or more before the DNS server updates its database.

Question: How can I delete myQNAPcloud account?
Answer: If you want to stop using myQNAPcloud service, you may sign out your myQNAPcloud account on your QNAP device. If you would like to delete your account, please contact our Customer Support Team.
I thought that the 8th was my solution instead of the 7th but i don't want delete my account (it seems me too exceeding delete my account and re-create a new account with the same name).

Now i unregistered the device and re-registers it, just as Kurt suggested me, my old device name (myuser) is again available in the second step of myqnapcloud configuration and in the next steps there aren't problems.

Problem solved! Thanks for the support

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”