[CloudLink] always "device is not found" ALL my QNAP

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
paulchu

Re: [CloudLink] always "device is not found" ALL my QNAP

Post by paulchu »

Hi, the current design of CloudLink requires you to turn on the Searchable option for your NAS. But it will be fixed in the next major update of the cloud software. If for security reasons, you do not want to turn on the Searchable, please have all your NAS services published as private services before turning it on. Sorry for the inconvenience.
ednap
Starting out

Post by ednap »

Is it still the case that the myqnapcloud device must be searchable in order to cloudlink to work?

Is it required for the initial connection only? or Subsequent ones.

I had some trouble accessing my NAS over cloudlink and I had searchable disabled. Enabling seemed to help but I got a message indicating Qfile could not confirm identity or something like that.
I disabled searchable afterwards and it still seems to be working?

I plan to test this on a windows Qsync install soon.

thanks!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

It's no longer required to set the NAS to searchable any more. (Can't see a "real" impact of having it searchable ... but that's another story)
ednap wrote:Enabling seemed to help but I got a message indicating Qfile could not confirm identity or something like that.
QNAP has started adding some checks of the certificate to some of the mobile apps. The Apps try to find the "best" possible connection method - if the NAS is near (ie. on the same (W)LAN, or the pots are forwarded on the router and the NAS can be reached by IPv4 direct) the connection is established direct between the App and the NAS, CloudLink is not in the play. If the NAS Web server certificate is still the factory default, if it's a self-signed certificate, if it's a issued by a CA not trusted by the mobile OS, or on any other issue with the certificate (hostname does not match, expired, validation failure, ...) you will see this message. TO bad, QNAP does not show more details on the certificate ... so it's kind like flying blind and agree to an exception the user can't proof.
ednap
Starting out

Post by ednap »

Thanks for the response.

It's a bit strange, but I had trouble setting up a remote QSync client to a QNAP NAS via cloudlink without turning on the Searchable setting on the website.

However, once the account was setup, and I turned off the searchable setting on the website, QSYNC continues to work. So I guess it was only required for setup. Strange.

Here's an even juicier tidbit of information. The "searchable" setting on the myQNAPcloud website appears to have been replaced with an "Access control" tab. So much for all this discussion :mrgreen:

Seems like the entire system is continually evolving!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

ednap wrote:The "searchable" setting on the myQNAPcloud website appears to have been replaced with an "Access control" tab.
That's even worse in my opinion - can't wait for people complaining that their NAS is reachable direct over the Internet and it does ignore the myQNAPcloud Access Control setting, as if set to Public, it says "Everybody can search for your device and access your public services" ... so let's change this as I don't want my NAS accessible by the public. What can't be done from here obviously. Or not so obvious in fact.

The text for Private and Customized is much better - the Public one does imply this is a generic control to permit the access to the NAS public services (and to deny it...) "Everyone can search for your device name, and access the public services on myQNAPcloud." would make it clear.
nostradamuszen
New here

Post by nostradamuszen »

Sadly, like so much of QNAP's proffered 'functionality', how you're supposed to get thew ******ing thing to work is labelled 'ABOVE TOP SECRET: LEVEL COSMIC'. The manuals are vague and plainly written by non-native English speakers who have never used a QNAP, the web pages you get referred to are limp brochure-ware without any useful content, and in these very forums, the number of times you can see the word 'SOLVED' be counted on very few hands.

I've been attempting for a year to get my TS-412 available to colleagues for a large and pressured project: were stil using Dropbox and I suspect am becoming a laughing-stock.

So, back to Dropbox for business, iCloud and GoogleDrive. I'm minded to give the QNAP to my son to keep his videos on: someone on here mentioned that Netgear have a solution that actually funcions - ReadyNAS.

Sorry to rant - but all that's needed is software that works, and manuals that are clear.

(What's the betting I get told off for not saying how much RAM my TS has (you can't upgrade it) or what QTS I have (4.2)!)

Mark
QNAP TS-412 running QTS 4.2 with 4XWD Red 4TB disks. Network includes iMac mid 2010 21.5 Yosemite, Acer laptop with Ubuntu 15.10, Lenovo R400 with Windows 8.1, iPad3 Samsung S3 Mini

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”