Windows File Manager with myqnapcloud

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
riwalker
Starting out

Post by riwalker »

Forgive me, I'm a complete nube

I have a 453-PRO
I can connect within the same local network

I want to connect externally, to see my FILES on multiple external computers, and sync them all back.
I have enabled my QNAP as a 'myqnapcloud.com' and can access my QNAP via a web browser.
BUT, I don't want to use the web interface, I want to use Windows File manager

I have QSYNC working, and it shows in Windows File Manager, so is this the easiest way to simply move my 'Docs' folder from the root of my QNAP to the 'Qsync' folder on the QNAP ?

Is there another way to get File Manager in windows to see my files on mu QNAP without using the QSYNC tool ?
i.e i tried \\host.myqnapcloud.com\ and this does not resolve
how can i simply create a networked shared drive and assign a letter in File manager ???

I tried to setup as a VPN, but could not get it to setup at all, just too difficult
It should not be this difficult !! :cry:
riwalker
Starting out

Post by riwalker »

I have a 453-PRO

I want to connect externally, to see my FILES on multiple external computers, and sync them all back.
I have enabled my QNAP as a 'myqnapcloud.com' and can access my QNAP via a web browser.

I have QSYNC working, and it shows in Windows File Manager, so is this the easiest way to simply move my 'Docs' folder from the root of my QNAP to the 'Qsync' folder on the QNAP ?

Is there another way to get File Manager in windows to see my files on mu QNAP without using the QSYNC tool ?
how can i simply create a networked shared drive and assign a letter in File manager ???

I tried to setup as a VPN, but could not get it to setup at all, just too difficult
riwalker
Starting out

Post by riwalker »

I have a 453-PRO

pwilson
Guru

Re: Windows File Manager with myqnapcloud

Post by pwilson »

In order to access Windows remotely, you'll need it to be Pro or better. Simply port-forward 3389/TCP to a Windows Pro machine on the inside of your network that has Remote Desktop enabled. Then you can access it remotely, as your XXXXXX.myqnapcloud.com address.

I would not recommend doing this without a VPN in place first.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
riwalker
Starting out

Post by riwalker »

Patrivk,

Apologies if my question was not clear.
I have all my data on my 453-PRO. I want to use it as a file server, and always have the files synchronized / shared to all users
For the local machines, they are happy and can access with a local IP address.
Its the remote clients, who I assumed could simply access using the xxxx.myqnapcloud.com address
I don't really want to use remote desktop, I simply want to access files from the NAS by by remote windows clients on a different network.
I tried you VLAN setup, and could not get it to work due to a heavily restricted machine by my workplace
so I could try again the VLN, if you have a fail-safe abc step mechanism, or is there any other way for remote clients to access files ?
p.s The android utility QFILE works great, no issues ! its just the windows machines, who need access with File Manager , not the terrible web interface
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

riwalker wrote:Patrivk,

Apologies if my question was not clear.
I have all my data on my 453-PRO. I want to use it as a file server, and always have the files synchronized / shared to all users
For the local machines, they are happy and can access with a local IP address.
Its the remote clients, who I assumed could simply access using the xxxx.myqnapcloud.com address
I don't really want to use remote desktop, I simply want to access files from the NAS by by remote windows clients on a different network.
I tried you VLAN setup, and could not get it to work due to a heavily restricted machine by my workplace
so I could try again the VLN, if you have a fail-safe abc step mechanism, or is there any other way for remote clients to access files ?
p.s The android utility QFILE works great, no issues ! its just the windows machines, who need access with File Manager , not the terrible web interface
Simply port-forward 443/TCP from your Router to your NAS. This will allow your users to access the NAS via File Station at: https://XXXXXXXXX.myqnapcloud.com/cgi-bin/fm.html.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

riwalker
Starting out

Post by riwalker »

443/TCP is already forward to the NAS from my router.
I cannot access xxx.myqnapnas.com from windows file manager
i can access via chrome browser, but I dont want to do that, as i HATE, *HATE* the web interface

I want to use file manager to map a network drive, like I can with a local address , i.e 192.168.xx.xx
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

riwalker wrote:443/TCP is already forward to the NAS from my router.
I cannot access xxx.myqnapnas.com from windows file manager
i can access via chrome browser, but I dont want to do that, as i HATE, *HATE* the web interface

I want to use file manager to map a network drive, like I can with a local address , i.e 192.168.xx.xx
Then you will need to implement either WebDAV or OpenVPN on the NAS. Upgrade to QTS 4.1.3 Build 20150408 if you want to implement WebDAV. If you implement OpenVPN, you'll be able to open: \\10.8.0.1\Public (& etc) in Windows Explorer from anywhere on the Internet.

WebDAV is harder to implement, but this saves the hassle on configuring OpenVPN on your Windows boxes.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

riwalker
Starting out

Post by riwalker »

Where do I download and Install OpenVPN from ? I dont see it in the App list to download ?
and does anyone have a recipe here for install and config ?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

riwalker wrote:Where do I download and Install OpenVPN from ? I dont see it in the App list to download ?
and does anyone have a recipe here for install and config ?
It is already on your NAS! :shock:

All you have to do is enable it, and then Port-Forward port 1194/UDP from your Router to your NAS.

Check out the VPN Service section of the fine manual. Configure it on the NAS end, and then simply install OpenVPN 2.3.6 on your PC per the instructions in the fine manual.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

riwalker
Starting out

Post by riwalker »

Thanks, I never used VPN before apart from corporate email

OK, so installed OpenVPN, followed for Win8.1:
http://www.vpntutorials.com/tutorials/o ... windows-8/
added UDP 1194 to the NAS from the router

I can connect OK, I see in the NAS Client 'Connection List' my client IP address:64293, and assigned VPN Client address 10.x.x.x
but when i try and enter the address in file manager, it cannot connect.

ideas ?
evolve-to
New here

Post by evolve-to »

Hello,

Sorry if I misunderstood your question, and I don't really know about the VPN option, but can't you just add the FTP link as a network location?

1. Activate the FTP service, and configure the access on the Qnap
=> verify by access "ftp://xxxx.myqnapcloud.com/" in your web browser
2. Open "Computer", right click on the background and select "Add a Network Location"
3. Add "ftp://xxxx.myqnapcloud.com/
4. Specify and save username/password

But I think that through VPN it's a bit more secure... I don't know, but I personally use the FTP solution :)
riwalker
Starting out

Post by riwalker »

Added port 21 to router to point to QNAP
FTP service on QNAP enabled as default
in Browser, can connect to ftp://xxx.myqnapcloud.com
go to my computer, tried to add network drive, both ftp://admin@xxx.myqnapcloud.com/ and also ftp://xxx.myqnapcloud.com

comes up with error.
could be that win8.1 is already connected to a domain (for work)

this is just too hard
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

riwalker wrote:Added port 21 to router to point to QNAP
FTP service on QNAP enabled as default
in Browser, can connect to ftp://xxx.myqnapcloud.com
go to my computer, tried to add network drive, both ftp://admin@xxx.myqnapcloud.com/ and also ftp://xxx.myqnapcloud.com

comes up with error.
could be that win8.1 is already connected to a domain (for work)

this is just too hard
Setup your Router to forward Port 21/TCP to 192.168.XXX.XXX. (Your Nas's internal IP address) Also setup the Router to Port-Range forward ports 55536/TCP to 56559/TCP to it as well.

Once you have port 21/TCP and ports 55536-56559/TCP port forwarded at the Router, your users should be able to access your FTP server at: ftp://username:password@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX or ftp://username:password@xxx.myqnapcloud.com.

Filezilla is an excellent multi-platform FTP client.

Check out the FTP Service section of the fine manual, particularly the "Advanced settings" where it documents the passive port range requirement.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

riwalker
Starting out

Post by riwalker »

As I said in the previous POST, I already forward port 21, and I CAN connect with a browser.
I also see in WIN 8.1, that you can use file manager to connect to the QNAP, followign instructions here:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/map-an-ftp-drive-windows
There is a HTML link called "Connect to a Web site that you can use to store your documents and pictures" within MAP Network Drive

but whilst that does indeed show the FTP site as a FOLDER within File Manager, what you cannot do is to assign a Mapped Drive letter, hence without a drive letter, you cannot use any of the file sync tools.
So FTP will not work either, as I cannot assign a drive letter.
Only with 3rd party tools can you do this, i.e http://www.netdrive.net/index.html, which is $45 !!!
There are free utilities, i.e FTPUse that I could try: http://www.ferrobackup.com/ftpuse/

but in the end, I should not have to use 3rd party tools just to connect to my NAS over the internet, and assign a drive letter !
Why does QNAP have tools to do this !!!!

VPN will not work, since I already use JUNOS to connect to a corporate LAN, and windows seems to not play nice with 2 x VPN, 1 x OPEN VPN, 1 x JUNOS

ideas ?

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”