Column View Navigation (like in OSX) for File Station

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
smuckian
New here

Column View in File Station?

Post by smuckian »

Hi, I have a TS-670 pro, running firmware 4.1.1 build 20141101. I am curious if there is a way to enable a column view for file navigation in the File Station app? There is currently an icon view, list view and detailed list view but no column view.

Thanks
s
pwilson
Guru

Re: Column View in File Station?

Post by pwilson »

smuckian wrote:Hi, I have a TS-670 pro, running firmware 4.1.1 build 20141101. I am curious if there is a way to enable a column view for file navigation in the File Station app? There is currently an icon view, list view and detailed list view but no column view.

Thanks
s
What is "Column" view? Doesn't "List" or "Detailed List" qualify as "Column" view?

You are using terminology that does not exist in the user manual, so we need to know what you think "Column view" is. This sounds like a "feature request" to me, but unless you define what you are actually looking for, it is unlikely to happen. Why didn't you post this message to the "Features Wanted" subForum?

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
smuckian
New here

Post by smuckian »

Not really. With column view you can see the path. So for instance lets say we have a 3 column navigation pane, right, middle and left. In the left column you would have the parent of the items in the middle column and the middle column would be the parent of the right column. This is a common navigation setup in osx, which is the environment we use in our organization. A lot of users have expressed they would like to navigate this way. Is this possible?

Thanks
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

smuckian wrote:Not really. With column view you can see the path. So for instance lets say we have a 3 column navigation pane, right, middle and left. In the left column you would have the parent of the items in the middle column and the middle column would be the parent of the right column. This is a common navigation setup in osx, which is the environment we use in our organization. A lot of users have expressed they would like to navigate this way. Is this possible?

Thanks
Not at present. You'll need to request it as a Feature. Why are your users working with File Station in the first place? Why don't they simply mount the NAS shares on their Mac's so that they can access files using traditional OS X tools. (File-Roller perhaps?).

Connect to Server
  1. Choose “Go” > “Connect to Server”.
  2. Enter the NAS IP address.
  3. Enter your login ID and password.
  4. Select the folder you want to mount and click “OK”.
  5. The folder is mounted.
I pulled these images from the QTS 4.0 manual. They show the process, but they are a poor example, as you probably want your users to login using their own NAS login credentials, rather than logging in as "admin". (Perhaps this is why QNAP did not include these images in the QTS 4.1 manual).
I also object to the IP address they show, as that is part of the default OpenVPN IP pool.

If your users are remote users, then I suppose I understand using File Station, but if all those Mac's are on the same subnet as the NAS, then mounting the shares on the Mac's and using traditional OS X tools makes more sense than fighting with any WebUI, be it QNAP's or someone else's. (I'm not an OS X user myself, so perhaps I simply don't understand anything Mac).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
smuckian
New here

Post by smuckian »

Thanks, we do use the setup you have described while our users are inside the LAN but what about outside the LAN? Currently while outside the LAN our users connect via the file station web interface which does not appear to have the column view. Ideally we would like to use the method described above but outside the LAN or to somehow enable a column view in file station. Thanks for your help.
smuckian
New here

Column View Navigation (like in OSX) for File Station

Post by smuckian »

Hello,
Our users would love to have a Column View for navigation in the file station app while connecting remotely. Column view is a common type of navigation in OSX. Column view allows you to see the path while navigating.

For example: lets say we have a 3 column navigation pane, right, middle and left. In the left column you would have the parent of the items in the middle column and the middle column would be the parent of the right column.

This is how most of our users navigate on their Macs. It would be great if we could have that option while using file station remotely.

Thanks
smuckian
New here

Post by smuckian »

I have just submitted this request in features wanted. Thanks for your help. If you do know of a way to enable this feature somehow I would greatly appreciate that info. If not hopefully it will get some traction in features wanted.
smuckian
New here

Re: Column View Navigation (like in OSX) for File Station

Post by smuckian »

Also, the model we are using is TS-670 pro, running firmware 4.1.1 build 20141101. Thanks

Return to “Features Wanted”