Recover a Forum after server swap

Post your questions about Web Server usage and Apache + PHP + MySQL/SQLite web applications.
steve.mack
Starting out

Recover a Forum after server swap

Post by steve.mack »

Fairly simple question but I obviously havent gone about it the correct way.... To cut the story short my server content will be getting moved to a new Qnap server but I don't have the option to backup or export the existing database.

When i install PHPBB3 etc again what steps should I take or how should I go about it so I can recover the forum I had running? Or is this not possible?
pwilson
Guru

Re: Recover a Forum after server swap

Post by pwilson »

steve.mack wrote:Fairly simple question but I obviously havent gone about it the correct way.... To cut the story short my server content will be getting moved to a new Qnap server but I don't have the option to backup or export the existing database.

When i install PHPBB3 etc again what steps should I take or how should I go about it so I can recover the forum I had running? Or is this not possible?
Check out pre-existing Forums Post: [HOWTO] Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases V3.4 by Community member: fribse.

There are over 250 posts in that thread, so it should have showed up in an Advanced search, if you chose to try this useful Forum feature.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
steve.mack
Starting out

Post by steve.mack »

Patrick, after some browsing of that thread I think I've found the folder I need it's in the @MySQL folder, called phpBB3, I assume that's all my 'forum' info in that folder?

Do you know much about the phpbb3 application? Would I simply create a new MySQL database on the new server and setup the phpbb3 site but then overwrite it with this existing data? Or is it not that simple?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

steve.mack wrote:Patrick, after some browsing of that thread I think I've found the folder I need it's in the @MySQL folder, called phpBB3, I assume that's all my 'forum' info in that folder?

Do you know much about the phpbb3 application? Would I simply create a new MySQL database on the new server and setup the phpbb3 site but then overwrite it with this existing data? Or is it not that simple?
It should be that simple. I stopped running phpBB a few years ago, so I never got this far. Hopefully someone still actually using phpBB can help with this part for you.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “Web Server & Applications (Apache + PHP + MySQL / SQLite)”