[SHARED] Collection of cool web apps running on my Qnap...

Post your questions about Web Server usage and Apache + PHP + MySQL/SQLite web applications.
Markovich
Know my way around

Re: [SHARED] Collection of cool web apps running on my Qnap...

Post by Markovich »

fribse wrote:I'm very happy with these apps:

...Coppermine Gallery (although creating thumbs is taking ages).
One of the reasons I selected Coppermine in the first place is because it is one of the only packages that offers the ability to generate your own thumbs and differently sized images, upload the lot, then import just fills the database. I find this method quicker, I have greater control over the generation of images (resizing method, sharpening, etc), and the QNAP is not bogged down generating hundreds of images.

FWIW...

- NAS 1 : TS-409Pro / fw: 3.3.0 Build 0924T / HDD: 4 x Samsung 500GB
- NAS 2 : TS-109 / fw: 3.3.0 Build 0924T / HDD: 1 x Samsung 2TB
- LAN : Draytek 2820Vn, Billion 7404VGO-M, Linksys SPA-3102, Asus WL-500g Premium
- AV : AC Ryan PlayOn!HD 2TB / Topfield TRF-2460 1TB / Samsung PS50C7000 / Yamaha RV-1065
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

Markovich wrote:
fribse wrote:I'm very happy with these apps:
...Coppermine Gallery (although creating thumbs is taking ages).
One of the reasons I selected Coppermine in the first place is because it is one of the only packages that offers the ability to generate your own thumbs and differently sized images, upload the lot, then import just fills the database. I find this method quicker, I have greater control over the generation of images (resizing method, sharpening, etc), and the QNAP is not bogged down generating hundreds of images.
FWIW...
I wasn't aware of that possibility, where do I select that? (can't remember I stumbled on to that setting).

Best regards
Kenneth
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet
RustyCage
Starting out

Post by RustyCage »

I'm running Single File PHP Gallery http://sye.dk/sfpg/ and i'm really satisfied with it.
It's a very simple php-script with a nice layout with autogenerating thumbs.

If you want to password-protect the gallery there are hundreds of php-scripts for that too out there.

Model name - TS-109
2. Firmware Version 2.0.0 build 0117T
3. OS - WindowsXP SP3, Vista Home, W2K Pro
4. OS Language - Swedish, English
5. Number of HDDs - 1
6. HDD model - Samsung 500GB 7200rpm 16MB
7. HDD capacity - 500 GB
8. RAID configuration - No
9. Services enabled - MS Networking, FTP, Webserver
10. External devices - NO
11. NAS connection speed/MTU - 1000/1500
HoustonFirefox
Starting out

Post by HoustonFirefox »

I thought I'd chime in since I've not seen it posted yet, but I'm running osCommerce on my TS-109 Pro without any problems. It installed without any issues and runs just fine.

One word of caution though, be mindful of installing any plugins that are CPU-intensive. I installed the Auto Thumbnail generator and ended up removing it because the generation time was unacceptable.
ItwasNotme
New here

Post by ItwasNotme »

@PLustig
great post idea. Any chance you'd be willing to document how to install drupal on QNAP.
Markovich
Know my way around

Post by Markovich »

fribse wrote:...where do I select that? (can't remember I stumbled on to that setting).
Sorry Fribse, I've been away. You don't actually need to select anything. If you supply the "thumb" and "normal" images along with the original, the import automatically skips generating these files and just loads the data into the database. If you forget to upload the thumbs etc, it will use GD to generate them for you. Best of both worlds :)

- NAS 1 : TS-409Pro / fw: 3.3.0 Build 0924T / HDD: 4 x Samsung 500GB
- NAS 2 : TS-109 / fw: 3.3.0 Build 0924T / HDD: 1 x Samsung 2TB
- LAN : Draytek 2820Vn, Billion 7404VGO-M, Linksys SPA-3102, Asus WL-500g Premium
- AV : AC Ryan PlayOn!HD 2TB / Topfield TRF-2460 1TB / Samsung PS50C7000 / Yamaha RV-1065
webbm
Starting out

Post by webbm »

Since the Mod_rewrite was been made available to us (http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3512), a few fun apps for my household has made itself available. My favourite is rBook (http://rbook.sourceforge.net/). Works great!

I also use NetOffice Dwins (http://netofficedwins.sourceforge.net/) for tasks and basic Project Management.

Cheers,
Matt.
Earendil
Getting the hang of things

Post by Earendil »

I notice some of you run very CPU intensive website apps. Obviously your bandwidth is up to the task so how long does it take for an Internet surfer to download a webpage? The only difference between some of your setups and mine is the extra memory (TS-209 Pro has 128 MB and a TS-409 Pro has 256 MB). Is it making that big of a difference? I'd love to see some numbers on this. Qnap 8) pulled me in with the TS-101, "made" :shock: me buy a TS-209 Pro because of the faster CPU and the TS-209 Pro II may be "needed" :roll: if it is faster still. Great marketing Qnap! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Over the last year I've tried half a dozen CMS's like Xoops, PHPNuke, Xaraya, Joomla plus others I don't remember. Only Joomla had the bells and whistles I liked and had many add-ons which makes sense why Qnap added it to their Pro firmware packages. I added add-ons I wanted (forum, gallery, etc.) and in the end it all ran but like the website you'd only want to go to if there was no other website out there. With a fairly slimmed down template it would still take 20-30 seconds minimum to load the home page! Forget about the gallery part. After 3-5 minutes it would upload and process a quintet of pictures! OK, I'm being unfair because that will always be very CPU intensive but it still is slow for the average surfer.

I now run a much faster CMS that has less flash than others but out of the box comes with many add-ons and has actually been around around for quite a while (LimboCMS -> DrakeCMS -> LaniusCMS). Since I use most of the 9-in-1 features the TS-209 Pro has, I do not need something using too much of the NAS's time. Now if they could only get a TS-2xx with a 1 GHz CPU with 1 GB of memory using under 50W plus under $500 and they will have a hit! :mrgreen:
Earendil
- TS-101 (v2.3.0 build 0825T) with a 2 TB WD green HDD
- TS-209 Pro (died during firmware update, too old to recover)
- TS-231 (latest firmware) with two 3 TB WD red HDDs in RAID 1
- TS-431P2-4G (latest firmware) with four 8 TB WD white HDDs in RAID 5
- A fifteen HDD XigmaNAS system (130 TB) in three RAID 5's
Jman420

Post by Jman420 »

Hey Gang,

Over the summer I bought a TS-219 for out Sonos Music System to host our family music. Last couple of weeks I've been turning it into a full blown domain server and I am happy to say I've had moderate success.

My current setup is as such:
Joomla
Python
Subversion
XDove - currently in progress (working out port issues)
OpenSSH
Ampache - currently in progress (needs to be setup)

As a nice addition, since some of these apps have been installed with ipkg, I've written some scripts and modded the qpkg.conf file so that I can enable & disable Subversion & OpenSSH from the Administration GUI. A convenient little hack.
bushbrother

Post by bushbrother »

Just thought I would add my experience of Gallery type apps, I am currently using Piwigo and find it very quick to use :)

I am using a TS-201 and had to upgrade to PHP5 and then add MySQL and Lighttpd with fcgi support but it works much much faster than Gallery or Coppermine. The bit I am stuck on now is GD/GD2 support to be able to automatically create thumbnails, this worked in coppermine but in Piwigo it doesnt seem to see the libraries :(

The alternative is to use pLoader (a windows application) to upload directly and create the thumbs :)

Check it out!
dvdbrwn112
New here

Post by dvdbrwn112 »

Thank you so much all web application tools link at one place. It's cool.
All sharing information is really fine And it is working on my linux well.
Good Work you all guys. Keep it up.
R4 games
Know my way around

Post by 2326766 »

JOOMLA - www.joomla.org (CMS)

PHPGEDVIEW - www.phpgedview.net (Family Tree)

GALLERY2 - gallery.menalto.com (Photos)

PHPBB3 - www.phpbb.com (Bulletin Board)

AMPACHE - www.ampache.org (Music)

MEDIAWIKI - www.mediawiki.org (Documentation, etc...)

WEBCALENDAR - www.k5n.us/webcalendar.php (Calendar)

Roundcube - www.roundcube.net (Webmail)

Most of the above PHP applications can use LDAP for authentication.
It would be nice to include OpenLDAP on QNAP NAS for a centralized user database.
Timinator
Starting out

Post by Timinator »

I plan to get a QNAP NAS soon - particularly because of the web server etc it has.

What I am interested in knowing is whether anyone is running an 'MS exchange' type application that would allow me to sync my calendar/tasks/email between different PCs and use online.

Thanks

Tim
Know my way around

Post by 2326766 »

Timinator,

You're looking for something like Funambol (www.funambol.com)

I don't think anyone has accomplished this on qnap yet, although I think it is of interest.

You might be a bit dissappointed if you want to run anything other than php and perl/cgi apps.

I have a ts-239 pro and it is great for web services like in the above posts.

Mike
rory
Know my way around

Post by rory »

IMHO you will need to get a 509 or better if you want to run significant apps on the QNAP. The consumer models just don't have the overhead to drive the apps until you get into the upper reaches of the product offerings.

Rory
iMac 27" i7 / OS X 10.6.5
TS-259 Pro / RAID 1 / 2 x 1T WD Black / 3.2.1 1231T
TS-410 / RAID 6 / 2 x 750GB + 2 x 500GB WD Black / 3.5.1 Build 1002T
SMCGS8P-Smart Switch

Return to “Web Server & Applications (Apache + PHP + MySQL / SQLite)”