Website Case Sensativity

Post your questions about Web Server usage and Apache + PHP + MySQL/SQLite web applications.
P2WRTMR
Starting out

Website Case Sensativity

Post by P2WRTMR »

I just purchased a 870pro and im having a problem hosting my websites. I need to turn off case sensitivity and cant find the mod_speling.so or checkcaseonly. The issue I am having, I have a website with a bunch of pictures. Each subject has a sub folder with the name and then in each subfolder the index.html file. The issue is, if you go to www.domain.com\example it wont load. But if you go to www.domain.com\Example it loads fine. The difference is the capital letter. Ive run into this issue before with my Synology and I just went and tuned off checkcaseonly in the httpd.conf file.

Does anyone know how I can fix this in the Qnap?
pwilson
Guru

Re: Website Case Sensativity

Post by pwilson »

P2WRTMR wrote:I just purchased a 870pro and im having a problem hosting my websites. I need to turn off case sensitivity and cant find the mod_speling.so or checkcaseonly. The issue I am having, I have a website with a bunch of pictures. Each subject has a sub folder with the name and then in each subfolder the index.html file. The issue is, if you go to http://www.domain.com\example it wont load. But if you go to http://www.domain.com\Example it loads fine. The difference is the capital letter. Ive run into this issue before with my Synology and I just went and tuned off checkcaseonly in the httpd.conf file.

Fix it? It isn't broken. It understands all 52 letters in the English alphabet. (In fact it understands non-English letters too, like à è ì ò ù
À È Ì Ò Ù á é í ó ú ý Á É Í Ó Ú Ý â ê î ô û Â Ê Î Ô Û ä ë ï ö ü ÿ Ä Ë Ï Ö Ü Ÿ å Å æ Æ ã ñ õ Ã Ñ Õ ç Ç ð Ð ø Ø œ Œ š Š ß ¿ ¡, and all the letters from other languages as well).

It isn't your NAS's fault that you can't spell "Example" properly.

Other than that you are quite correct. That module is not present on the QNAP. Why do you want a Website subject to the same limitations as Microsoft Windows? All Operating Systems (except Windows) understands that "E" != "e". Either learn to spell, or symlink your "Example" folder to other names like "example", "eXaMpLe", "eXAMPLE" etc. If you think your users can't handle a 52 letter alphabet, simply use numbers instead.

Rather than "breaking" your Web server, why don't you simply let your users figure it out for themselves. You are doing them no favours to cater to misspelling. I appreciate that most High School students graduating from Canadian and American high schools are functionally illiterate, but surely it isn't too much to ask, to expect them to spell "Example" properly.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
P2WRTMR
Starting out

Post by P2WRTMR »

pwilson wrote:
P2WRTMR wrote:I just purchased a 870pro and im having a problem hosting my websites. I need to turn off case sensitivity and cant find the mod_speling.so or checkcaseonly. The issue I am having, I have a website with a bunch of pictures. Each subject has a sub folder with the name and then in each subfolder the index.html file. The issue is, if you go to http://www.domain.com\example it wont load. But if you go to http://www.domain.com\Example it loads fine. The difference is the capital letter. Ive run into this issue before with my Synology and I just went and tuned off checkcaseonly in the httpd.conf file.

Fix it? It isn't broken. It understands all 52 letters in the English alphabet. (In fact it understands non-English letters too, like à è ì ò ù
À È Ì Ò Ù á é í ó ú ý Á É Í Ó Ú Ý â ê î ô û Â Ê Î Ô Û ä ë ï ö ü ÿ Ä Ë Ï Ö Ü Ÿ å Å æ Æ ã ñ õ Ã Ñ Õ ç Ç ð Ð ø Ø œ Œ š Š ß ¿ ¡, and all the letters from other languages as well).

Other than that you are quite correct. That module is not present on the QNAP. Why do you want a Website subject to the same limitations as Microsoft Windows? All Operating Systems (except Windows) understands that "E" != "e". Either learn to spell, or symlink your "Example" folder to other names like "example", "eXaMpLe", "eXAMPLE" etc. If you think your users can't handle a 52 letter alphabet, simply use numbers instead.

Rather than "breaking" your Web server, why don't you simply let your users figure it out for themselves. You are doing them no favours to cater to misspelling. I appreciate that most High School students graduating from Canadian and American high schools are functionally illiterate, but surely it isn't too much to ask, to expect them to spell "Example" properly.
I appreciate your opinion and can agree with you on certain levels. But the point my post was not to ask if it was right or wrong. At the moment, the Qnap does not do what I need it to do which is read the website that I had built a few years ago. I will one day have the site redone, but at this point in time, I just need my site to work.

Does anyone know how I can turn off case sensitivity?
P2WRTMR
Starting out

Post by P2WRTMR »

pwilson wrote:

I appreciate your opinion and can agree with you on certain levels. But the point my post was not to ask if it was right or wrong. At the moment, the Qnap does not do what I need it to do which is read the website that I had built a few years ago. I will one day have the site redone, but at this point in time, I just need my site to work.

Does anyone know how I can turn off case sensitivity?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

P2WRTMR wrote:Does anyone know how I can turn off case sensitivity?
Case Sensitivity comes "standard". What you need it instructions on adding a module you make Apache case insensitive. Unfortunately this is not a straightforward as you would want, because the Firmware will silently remove any modifications you make to the configuration files for Apache.

We've been complaining about it for several Firmware upgrades, but QNAP has not resolved this issue yet, nor has it provided any workarounds that I am aware of.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
redgoblin
Know my way around

Post by redgoblin »

P2WRTMR seems to have understood the user-friendly rule of thumb to avoid using upper-case letters & spaces in web file & path names wherever possible*, but been thwarted by one of my bêtes noir - the automatic & unwelcome capitalisation of all file & folder names when copied between systems - and would thus probably be better served by advice on how to undo what I would regard as file & folder name corruption! Maybe someone else here can directly recommend a suitable script but, lacking enough *n*x experience to readily do that myself, I'll kick off with this non-wheel-reinventing pointer - Linux script decapitalise filenames - Google Search.

* Why, after all, oblige folk to pointlessly press extra keys when typing URLs? And do, besides, give some thought to the extra limitations of touch-screen UIs!

Return to “Web Server & Applications (Apache + PHP + MySQL / SQLite)”