How to make Apache case INSENSITIVE

Post your questions about Web Server usage and Apache + PHP + MySQL/SQLite web applications.
Scratch2k
Starting out

How to make Apache case INSENSITIVE

Post by Scratch2k »

I have moved my wordpress install over from a windows server and am having a lot of problems with the internal links due to apache/*nix being case sensitive. I have found some instructions on the web on how to make Apache case-insensitive but they don't quite match up with what I'm seeing in the files on the qnap.

Can anyone please help?
fribse
Experience counts

Re: How to make Apache case INSENSITIVE

Post by fribse »

It's absolutely not an easy task, and I'm not sure you can do it on the linux on the qnap.
If so, you should have the apache module check_speling included, if it's available, it will require you to disable the standard apache in the firmware, and install a new one with ipkg, and then use that instead.

I would recommend you to use a batch rename utility to rename all files to lower case (The Rename comes to mind).
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet
Scratch2k
Starting out

Post by Scratch2k »

Bugger. I already did some research on the speling module and it doesn't look like it's included with the QNAP install of Apache. I also considered a batch rename and that will work assuming I typed all my link in lowercase and not the case the images were in (so i'm likely to end up with the currently broken ones fixed and the current working ones broken)...it's a catch 22 but i think I'll just go and hand fix them all ;)

Thanks for the reply.
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

Well, the files are an easy rename.
The links are probably stored in a mysql database, right?
So if you find out where they are stored, you could probably do an SQL statement that makes them all lowercase as well eg. via phpmyadmin.
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet
Scratch2k
Starting out

Post by Scratch2k »

True but I'm pretty good qwith SQL and I can't think of a way to do a global ucase on all http/img links but I'll give it some thought, I did find a Wordpress plug in to do a global find and replace for all links using the base URL of a site so it's likely someone else has moved from windows -> *nix and has already written a plug-in to do exactly what I'm thinking of, the search begins.

Return to “Web Server & Applications (Apache + PHP + MySQL / SQLite)”