How to make my QNAP to a DMS server with seedDMS

Post your questions about Web Server usage and Apache + PHP + MySQL/SQLite web applications.
mfuerlinger
First post

How to make my QNAP to a DMS server with seedDMS

Post by mfuerlinger »

Hello everybody,

I already tried several solutions - I found while googeling for some hours. But nothing worked for me.
I want to add Document Managaing System functionality to my QNAP NAS.
SeedDMS seems to be most suitable solution for me.
Beside QNAP basics it only needs php-pear, Zend-framework and some modification of php.ini. But I do not get it running :-(

Does anyone has a running seedDMS QNAP? What did you do?
Can you please post php.ini changes and the ipkgs you installed.

Thank you Mathias
pwilson
Guru

Re: How to make my QNAP to a DMS server with seedDMS

Post by pwilson »

mfuerlinger wrote:Hello everybody,

I already tried several solutions - I found while googeling for some hours. But nothing worked for me.
I want to add Document Managaing System functionality to my QNAP NAS.
SeedDMS seems to be most suitable solution for me.
Beside QNAP basics it only needs php-pear, Zend-framework and some modification of php.ini. But I do not get it running :-(

Does anyone has a running seedDMS QNAP? What did you do?
Can you please post php.ini changes and the ipkgs you installed.

Thank you Mathias
It's a shame that one of the numerous pre-existing CMS System QPKG's aren't "suitable" for your requirements:

What does seedDMS provide that these don't? Perhaps if you told us more about your "preferred" CMS application, you'd be able to inspire one of the QPKG developers that frequent the QNAP NAS Community Forum to build it for you. Personally I've never even heard of it.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Wild idea - spent just a few minutes (no, there is no success - but gives some ideas...):

Create a folder seeddms in your Web server share from Windows, OS X Finder, File Station, ...

[~] cd /share/Web/seeddms
[/share/Web/seeddms] # wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/seeddms ... urce=files
[/share/Web/seeddms/seeddms43x] # tar -xvzf seeddms-quickstart-4.3.2.tar.gz
[/share/Web/seeddms/seeddms43x] # mv * /share/Web/seeddms/
[/share/Web/seeddms] # rmdir seeddms43x/
[/share/Web/seeddms] # touch /share/Web/seeddms/seeddms-4.3.2/conf/ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL
[/share/Web/seeddms] # chown -R httpdusr:everyone /share/Web/seeddms
[/share/Web/seeddms] # rm seeddms-quickstart-4.3.2.tar.gz
[/share/Web/seeddms] # ls -ls
8 drwxr-xr-x 2 httpdusr everyone 4096 Aug 1 09:30 cache/
8 drwxr-xr-x 5 httpdusr everyone 4096 Nov 27 13:54 data/
8 drwxr-xr-x 6 httpdusr everyone 4096 Nov 27 13:53 pear/
8 drwxrwxrwx 13 httpdusr everyone 4096 Nov 27 13:51 seeddms-4.3.2/
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 admin administ 13 Dec 15 20:39 www -> seeddms-4.3.2/

Using a browser go to -> http://[NAS]/seeddms/www/install/

...SeedDMS Quick install...
QTS4.1_20131210_SeedDMS_4.3.2_quick_install.PNG
Ok, I don't know what the issue with Apache should be. Adding the path requested to PHP would be easy - but for now the PHP version on the NAS is (QNAP, anybody listening here???) much to old.

Further on, when you intend to use the text indexing, you need some additional tools (Optware IPKG) as per other NAS install Wiki.

Test failed ... would be nice if there would be some kind of a quick start guide of SeedDMS listing the requirement, specific things, ... at least I was not able to find anything within these few minutes spent.

Regards,
-Kurt.

PS. Patrick, sorry - most read-to-run stuff is outdated anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hispeedsurfer
Starting out

Post by hispeedsurfer »

Hi,

you have to modify the /conf/settings.xml matching your environment paths.
trinsic
New here

Post by trinsic »

What does seedDMS provide that these don't? Perhaps if you told us more about your "preferred" CMS application, you'd be able to inspire one of the QPKG developers that frequent the QNAP NAS Community Forum to build it for you. Personally I've never even heard of it.
Hi Partrick, Dont mean to spoil your good intentions, first off a DMS is not a CMS: Document Management Solutions provide vastly different features than Content Management Systems. It looks like you listed a bunch of CMS solutions from a hosting provider, none of which have any thing to do with a DMS solution.

DMS solutions are described here in SeedDMS Features, I suggest you take a quick look next time before being so quick to respond, since posting the wrong information related to the topic confuses the issue.
The basics are that a Document Management solution provides business with a way to upload documents to a system that attaches meta data to these documents. Allowing you to search for, assign permissions to, create revisions for, add attachments to, and create custom meta data to better track documents and their revision histories.
Thank you.

On a side note I want to let QNAP know I have been for the last few months in development of a service that will involve a NAS device with document management features. Seed DMS is probably the best solution that doesn't require purchasing a proprietary solution. A Document Management Solution goes well with a NAS with hardware that can handle it for Business customers. There is a really huge market for DMS solutions that are low cost. NAS devices can provide that with the right configuration and hardware.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

trinsic wrote:
Hi Partrick, Dont mean to spoil your good intentions, first off a DMS is not a CMS: Document Management Solutions provide vastly different features than Content Management Systems. It looks like you listed a bunch of CMS solutions from a hosting provider, none of which have any thing to do with a DMS solution.

DMS solutions are described here in SeedDMS Features, I suggest you take a quick look next time before being so quick to respond, since posting the wrong information related to the topic confuses the issue.
The basics are that a Document Management solution provides business with a way to upload documents to a system that attaches meta data to these documents. Allowing you to search for, assign permissions to, create revisions for, add attachments to, and create custom meta data to better track documents and their revision histories.
Thank you.

On a side note I want to let QNAP know I have been for the last few months in development of a service that will involve a NAS device with document management features. Seed DMS is probably the best solution that doesn't require purchasing a proprietary solution. A Document Management Solution goes well with a NAS with hardware that can handle it for Business customers. There is a really huge market for DMS solutions that are low cost. NAS devices can provide that with the right configuration and hardware.
That does indeed answer my question. Thank-you for taking my question at face value, and providing a thorough answer. I appreciate it.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “Web Server & Applications (Apache + PHP + MySQL / SQLite)”