Can't find database support when installing Simple Machines

Post your questions about Web Server usage and Apache + PHP + MySQL/SQLite web applications.
Varsh
New here

Can't find database support when installing Simple Machines

Post by Varsh »

This is a really odd error and I can't seem to figure out what is going on with it. The error I get is this when I open up the installer script:
Critical Error!
The installer was unable to detect any database support in PHP. Please ask your host to ensure that PHP was compiled with the desired database, or that the proper extension is being loaded.
Considering that I can install so far everything under the sun without any problems whatsoever only the Simple Machine Forums seems to throw a hissy fit saying that I Don't have a database server installed. I have recently just installed Optware's PHP 5.5 so perhaps that has something to do with it? It doesn't seem to affect any other programmes though.
pwilson
Guru

Re: Can't find database support when installing Simple Machi

Post by pwilson »

Varsh wrote:This is a really odd error and I can't seem to figure out what is going on with it. The error I get is this when I open up the installer script:
Critical Error!
The installer was unable to detect any database support in PHP. Please ask your host to ensure that PHP was compiled with the desired database, or that the proper extension is being loaded.
Considering that I can install so far everything under the sun without any problems whatsoever only the Simple Machine Forums seems to throw a hissy fit saying that I Don't have a database server installed. I have recently just installed Optware's PHP 5.5 so perhaps that has something to do with it? It doesn't seem to affect any other programmes though.
So install phpBB3 instead. phpBB3 is available in the App Center, all ready to go. phpBB3 will use the PHP and MySQL that are already provided in the Firmware image. You also might get more support from the community if you actually provided a URL for SMF in your message, so that people actually know what you are talking about. For help with setting up phpBB3, simply review QNAP Tutorial: How to Use PHP & MySQL to Create a Forum in Your Turbo Station. Some of the steps in this Tutorial probably are similar to what will be required for SMF.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Varsh
New here

Post by Varsh »

I don't want to use phpBB3. Like I said in the opening post I want to install SMF as I want to evaluate it. phpBB is already installed on my server as well as vBulletin, MyBB, and a few others that I am evaluating. I want to get to the issue of why I am receiving this message as opposed to the others as it could prove to be a problem later down the line. If you want a URL to the problem then it is this: http://smf.i-dev.eu/install.php

Both MySQL and MySQLi is loaded and shows up correctly in phpinfo() so this has got me puzzled.

But please don't just say "install phpBB3 instead" as this was not the answer I'm looking for and after evaluation it is not the forum software I am looking for.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Varsh wrote:I don't want to use phpBB3. Like I said in the opening post I want to install SMF as I want to evaluate it. phpBB is already installed on my server as well as vBulletin, MyBB, and a few others that I am evaluating. I want to get to the issue of why I am receiving this message as opposed to the others as it could prove to be a problem later down the line. If you want a URL to the problem then it is this: http://smf.i-dev.eu/install.php

Both MySQL and MySQLi is loaded and shows up correctly in phpinfo() so this has got me puzzled.

But please don't just say "install phpBB3 instead" as this was not the answer I'm looking for and after evaluation it is not the forum software I am looking for.
Thanks for clarifying. Good luck with your evaluations.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “Web Server & Applications (Apache + PHP + MySQL / SQLite)”