Web test page

Post your questions about Web Server usage and Apache + PHP + MySQL/SQLite web applications.
july865
Starting out

Web test page

Post by july865 »

i own a domain name and its currently being hosted by Google. i would like to create a TEST webpage using my domain name on my TS 439 Pro ii +. the address will be something like "www.abc.com/test"
can this be done?
i know its easier if i use dyndns.org or no-ip.com, but for the sake of my knowledge.
thank you
july865
Starting out

Web test page

Post by july865 »

i own a domain name and its currently being hosted by Google. the code i would like to use, Google wont accept.
i would like to create a TEST webpage using my domain name on my TS 439 Pro ii +. the address will be something like "www.abc.com/test"
can this be done?
i know its easier if i use dyndns.org or no-ip.com, but for the sake of my knowledge.
thank you
pwilson
Guru

Re: Web test page

Post by pwilson »

july865 wrote:i own a domain name and its currently being hosted by Google. the code i would like to use, Google wont accept.
i would like to create a TEST webpage using my domain name on my TS 439 Pro ii +. the address will be something like "www.abc.com/test"
can this be done?
thank you
Place your index.php/index.html in the Web/Qweb share of your Nas. (ie /share/Qweb or /share/Web depending on your configuration)

Then get someone from outside your network to test it for you.
also get them to test:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
july865
Starting out

Post by july865 »

my abc.com works on google's site as it has content in it already.
so your saying that if i create a qweb folder called "test" and place my index page there it will work?
what about the DNS?
im not following.... sorry
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

july865 wrote:my abc.com works on google's site as it has content in it already.
so your saying that if i create a qweb folder called "test" and place my index page there it will work?
what about the DNS?
im not following.... sorry
If your Web page isn't on your NAS, why are you asking this question here?

I assumed you were trying to host your "http://www.abc.com/" website on your NAS.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

july865
Starting out

Post by july865 »

as indicated by my initial post, google is hosting my webpage.
i thought someone here may have experience with my question, as it is related to hosting a webpage on a Qnap, just with a little twist.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

july865 wrote:as indicated by my initial post, google is hosting my webpage.
i thought someone here may have experience with my question, as it is related to hosting a webpage on a Qnap, just with a little twist.
Put your content in the Web/Qweb share on your NAS in either /share/Web/test/ or /share/Qweb/test/ (depending on your NAS configuration). Thereafter "spoof" the "hosts" file of your undisclosed OS on your PC so that it points the "abc.com" and "www.abc.com" FQDNs to the undisclosed internal IP address of your NAS.

Windows typically stores the "hosts" file in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\". Linux, OS X, (and your NAS) stores it in /etc. Google it, to figure out how to "spoof" your DNS by creating entries in the "hosts" file of your undisclosed OS.

Once "spoofed" properly, you can access "http://www.abc.com/test" or "https://www.abc.com:8081/test" from your undisclosed Web Browser on your undisclosed OS on your PC.

This will allow you to test your Website locally on your network, prior to uploading it to Google.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Return to “Web Server & Applications (Apache + PHP + MySQL / SQLite)”