The time synchronization...

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
larsahlstrom
Getting the hang of things

The time synchronization...

Post by larsahlstrom »

Hi fellows!

I just found a problem on my TS-459 Pro II: The time synchronization... It gives me errors: "Failed to synchronize the time with NTP server"
Happens at least one time a month. Serious, as it can make problems to backup operations - if time is not synchronized.

2015-08-31, 2015-08-24, 2015-07-03. That's about how the frequency of error looks like.

If I change the time server (now the unchangeable "time.windows.com" to a local very well used time server, after I press "update" it thinks for a couple of minutes, then switch back to "time.windows.com".
If I do "set the server time the same as your computers time" it won't sync as I see a 30 second difference right now, whatever I do.

Please advice!

Lars
QNAP TS-459ProII, 4xWD 3TB RED's in RAID5, 1Gbit LAN, ZyXEL 16 channel switch, cable-modm 250Mbit, Win10 Pro 64, PC:4x3Tbyte WD Red's in RAID5, Seagate 8TB USB3, WD 4TB USB3, 2xWD3TBUSB3, Seagate Desktop Expansion, Trial screens 16:4, 24", 28", Tascam DM24 mix. to MOTU 2408II 24 channels to/from PC, Mackie Cntl Univ. motor-faders for soft-control, Wacom Intous2 A4 pad w. mouse-pen-airbrush, Epson PX800 print/scan, Plustec 7500 diascan, Samsung CLP650 ColorLaser, AVID MboxPro & ProTools 11, EMU 1820m ASIO audio intfc, 2xNE Maschine, Kurzweil PC88+ mastrkeyboard, Neon keyb, a bunch of synthesizers/controllers. Using BestSync 2015 Ultimate for network backups, and Antenna from Stormdance Website editor (like Paintshop, objectoriented).
pwilson
Guru

Re: The time synchronization...

Post by pwilson »

larsahlstrom wrote:Hi fellows!

I just found a problem on my TS-459 Pro II: The time synchronization... It gives me errors: "Failed to synchronize the time with NTP server"
Happens at least one time a month. Serious, as it can make problems to backup operations - if time is not synchronized.

2015-08-31, 2015-08-24, 2015-07-03. That's about how the frequency of error looks like.

If I change the time server (now the unchangeable "time.windows.com" to a local very well used time server, after I press "update" it thinks for a couple of minutes, then switch back to "time.windows.com".
If I do "set the server time the same as your computers time" it won't sync as I see a 30 second difference right now, whatever I do.

Please advice!

Lars

Try setting your NTP Server to: se.pool.ntp.org

Assuming you live in Stockholm, Sweden, as listed on your Forum Profile.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
bugyou3
Know my way around

Post by bugyou3 »

Forget this nonsense and use this:
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... 15#p279347

Many years later, there's still absolutely NO usable time sync implementation in QNAP firmware. The ntpdated cr*p still there and the NTP server configuration in the GUI is just an extreme brainfart not allowing any proper configuration whatsoever. All of this now actually breaks the 2factor auth, but apparently figuring this thing out is beyond QNAP skills. Meanwhile, any $30 router handles this better.
Qnap Community Forums - No spam and no idiots in charge. Move now!
larsahlstrom
Getting the hang of things

Post by larsahlstrom »

Thanks a lot for that server, Patrick!
I haven't been around for a while and missed your answer, until today. :)
Wow, that one was fast. Updates correctly in a wink.

I was actually surfing around for a professional time server over here, but found rubbish, and got tired of it.
Also bugyou3´s answer was no much help for the inspiration, but that to I read today! ;)
Thanks for help, and some further knowledge!

B.t.w., I don't need my TS-459 for a while now, as it just died the other day. PSU I suppose.
But I am not sure about the power on connection to the PSU as I hardy get a stable 5 ---> 0 volt function on the PS-On pin.
I also want to have a more powerful PSU, the 350 of same model, as I think that my new Reds 3TB x 4, are loading down the PSU.

Anyone knows the warranty period? I bought it like sometime ago...

Lars
QNAP TS-459ProII, 4xWD 3TB RED's in RAID5, 1Gbit LAN, ZyXEL 16 channel switch, cable-modm 250Mbit, Win10 Pro 64, PC:4x3Tbyte WD Red's in RAID5, Seagate 8TB USB3, WD 4TB USB3, 2xWD3TBUSB3, Seagate Desktop Expansion, Trial screens 16:4, 24", 28", Tascam DM24 mix. to MOTU 2408II 24 channels to/from PC, Mackie Cntl Univ. motor-faders for soft-control, Wacom Intous2 A4 pad w. mouse-pen-airbrush, Epson PX800 print/scan, Plustec 7500 diascan, Samsung CLP650 ColorLaser, AVID MboxPro & ProTools 11, EMU 1820m ASIO audio intfc, 2xNE Maschine, Kurzweil PC88+ mastrkeyboard, Neon keyb, a bunch of synthesizers/controllers. Using BestSync 2015 Ultimate for network backups, and Antenna from Stormdance Website editor (like Paintshop, objectoriented).

Return to “NAS Management”