IP address changed after reboot

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
schumaku
Guru

Re: IP address changed after reboot

Post by schumaku »

Piet200 wrote:What can I do to keep my fixed address fixed, also after a reboot ?
What about do what is suggested repeatedly and provide feedback instead of going into a DHCP discussion?

Your friendly parrot.
TeeDub
Getting the hang of things

Post by TeeDub »

Hi Piet200

Perhaps you could try setting the box to DHCP, save settings and reboot. Log back in and verify everything is working properly. Power off the box. Power off the router. Power the router back on and when completed booting, power on the box and verify connectivity.

Set the IP to static, save and reboot. See if it sticks.

Or, do as suggested by other folks and leave it as DHCP and set reservations on your router to keep the DHCP address assigned to the box.

This is how mine is set and it works fine.

I know what it is like to battle technology and I don't like losing the battle either. Especially when you are trying to use a config that is available and should work as provided by the OS.

Report back with any updates. This is a tech forum and all questions should be welcomed

Cheers

TW
TS-421
Version 4.0.2
4x3TB WD Reds RAID 5
Piet200
Know my way around

Post by Piet200 »

I looked at the uLinux.conf file but cannot see anything special there.
I have not problem providing internal ip addresses, about 99,99% of all users will probably have a range like 192.168.1.x, which is mine too.

As you suggested, I have made a reservation on my DHCP server for the mac address of my nas. so It will start-up with the ip address I want now. so far I'll keep ik like this so no further investigation is needed. ofcourse I still find it very strange that the interface is on dhcp after every reboot.
I am not using trunking, only the first interface is connected to my network.

Anyway thank you for your support.
[~] # df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/ram0 32.9M 15.3M 17.6M 47% /
tmpfs 32.0M 436.0k 31.6M 1% /tmp
/dev/sda4 364.2M 300.9M 63.3M 83% /mnt/ext
/dev/md9 509.5M 144.5M 365.0M 28% /mnt/HDA_ROOT
/dev/sda3 1.8T 297.7G 1.5T 16% /share/HDA_DATA
/dev/sdb3 1.8T 101.4G 1.7T 6% /share/HDB_DATA
tmpfs 32.0M 11.8M 20.2M 37% /.eaccelerator.tmp

[~] # cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md4 : active raid1 sdb2[1] sda2[0]
530048 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md13 : active raid1 sda4[0] sdb4[1]
458880 blocks [4/2] [UU__]
bitmap: 48/57 pages [192KB], 4KB chunk

md9 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
530048 blocks [4/2] [UU__]
bitmap: 65/65 pages [260KB], 4KB chunk

unused devices: <none>
TS-419P, 3x 2TB WD Green (Raid 5). QTS 4.3.3
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The fall-back does (as of now) not make any sense for me, too.
Piet200 wrote:I looked at the uLinux.conf file but cannot see anything special there.
Would be interesting to see a difference with the static set-up and the unexpected modification - which should not happen, and which does not happen on some 250+ QNAP network interfaces configured to static entries I'm aware of...regardless of the IP subnet (any RFC1918 or public routable).
dopeinc
First post

Post by dopeinc »

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE

MY IP WAS A DHCP ONE NOW THAT I REBOOTED IT IT WENT TO 0.0.0.0 from now on i can't do much a tech tested it and my device was sent to qnap repair facility coming back 2 weeks later I have the exact same issue

my qnap connect for like 5 min in finder then i cant access it the ip address is bound to 0.0.0.0 and i cant even change it to a fixed or normal dhcp
ILikeVoltron
Starting out

Post by ILikeVoltron »

I just started getting this a week or two ago.
Jasin
Getting the hang of things

Post by Jasin »

Are you setup with dhcp and not static?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

ILikeVoltron wrote:I just started getting this a week or two ago.
"this" == the subject "IP address changed after reboot" or the 0.0.0.0 in the post just before yours?

A DHCP server does assign IP addresses from a pool (IP address list), unless the NAS network interface MAC address is reserved to issue the same IP address.
ILikeVoltron
Starting out

Post by ILikeVoltron »

Woops, subscribed this time... I'm setup for Static, I've setup a DHCP Reservation as a work around, though I'm still getting the warnings everytime the nas reboots (which is daily, btw)

"External LAN Card Changed"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

ILikeVoltron wrote:Woops, subscribed this time... I'm setup for Static, I've setup a DHCP Reservation as a work around, though I'm still getting the warnings everytime the nas reboots (which is daily, btw)

"External LAN Card Changed"
Lets check out your Configuration vs Hardware. Please login to your NAS via SSH, login as "admin", and run the following commands:

Code: Select all

echo "Config: eth0 $(getcfg eth0 'Mac addresss')"; echo -n "Actual: "; ifconfig eth0 | grep HWaddr | awk '{ print $1, $5 }'
echo "Config: eth1 $(getcfg eth1 'Mac addresss')"; echo -n "Actual: "; ifconfig eth1 | grep HWaddr | awk '{ print $1, $5 }'
#done
Please cut&paste the output of these commands back to this message thread.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
ILikeVoltron
Starting out

Post by ILikeVoltron »

[admin@C-3PO]~# echo "Config: eth0 $(getcfg eth0 'Mac addresss')"; echo -n "Actual: "; ifconfig eth0 | grep HWaddr | awk '{ print $1, $5 }'
Config: eth0 00:00:00:00:05:09
Actual: eth0 00:00:00:00:05:09
[admin@C-3PO]~# echo "Config: eth1 $(getcfg eth1 'Mac addresss')"; echo -n "Actual: "; ifconfig eth1 | grep HWaddr | awk '{ print $1, $5 }'
Config: eth1 00:00:00:00:05:09
Actual: eth1 00:00:00:00:05:09
So I guess you're checking if I did any network card sub interfaces or anything like that?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Hm, lost factory MAC addresses. What's written on the manufacturing MAC label? Take the first one, and run this:

[~] # /sbin/set_mac 00:08:9B:xx:xx:xx

Now reboot, and re-do the check.
ILikeVoltron
Starting out

Post by ILikeVoltron »

schumaku wrote:Hm, lost factory MAC addresses. What's written on the manufacturing MAC label? Take the first one, and run this:

[~] # /sbin/set_mac 00:08:9B:xx:xx:xx

Now reboot, and re-do the check.

[admin@C-3PO]~# echo "Config: eth0 $(getcfg eth0 'Mac addresss')"; echo -n "Actual: "; ifconfig eth0 | grep HWaddr | awk '{ print $1, $5 }'       
Config: eth0 00:08:9B:C2:D7:4B
Actual: eth0 00:08:9B:C2:D7:4B
[admin@C-3PO]~# echo "Config: eth1 $(getcfg eth1 'Mac addresss')"; echo -n "Actual: "; ifconfig eth1 | grep HWaddr | awk '{ print $1, $5 }'
Config: eth1 00:00:00:00:05:09
Actual: eth1 00:08:9B:C2:D7:4B
Interesting, looks like it didn't pick up properly on the secondary nic either.. Looks like I'm still getting the warnings in my logs. Going to reboot one more time. Also, is there no way to use set_mac with both interfaces?
ILikeVoltron
Starting out

Post by ILikeVoltron »

So this looks good, I can set static addresses again without it failing. However, if I ever want to plug in a secondary NIC, my network won't work.. so unless I can manually reset or force the eth1 address with a mac I'm SOL. Any help on that front? Besides that, thanks a bunch guys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Hm, two interfaces with the same MAC address (at least on the hardware side) is not good. For now, it has the MAC from the config. No idea ... potentially set_mac does allow passing two or more MAC addresses as a parameter?

In any case, please file a support request on http://helpdesk.qnap.com/

Return to “Users' Corner”