USB ports changing volume id

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
aj060265
New here

USB ports changing volume id

Post by aj060265 »

I have a ts-421, firmware 4.1.0 and recently updated to 4.1.1. I have two usb drives connected to the rear USB ports. I do backup of these drives to local raid. The problem is if there is a power down scheduled or not the usb volume id's some times change and swap volume I'd. Is there anyway of locking the volume Id to the actual USB port used.
Thanks in Advance
pwilson
Guru

Re: USB ports changing volume id

Post by pwilson »

aj060265 wrote:I have a ts-421, firmware 4.1.0 and recently updated to 4.1.1. I have two usb drives connected to the rear USB ports. I do backup of these drives to local raid. The problem is if there is a power down scheduled or not the usb volume id's some times change and swap volume I'd. Is there anyway of locking the volume Id to the actual USB port used.
Thanks in Advance
Nope. Welcome to Plug 'n' Pray.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Nag QNAP to "backport" the d*mned volume label fixes to every 4.1.x box, not just "SMB".

:arrow: http://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
aj060265
New here

Post by aj060265 »

Thanks very much
Will try that.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

aj060265 wrote:The problem is if there is a power down scheduled or not the usb volume id's some times change and swap volume I'd.
The volume ID is stored on the external HDD and does unlikely move between the ports - if binding backup to use the volume ID, the same destination volume is used for the same process.

As this volume ID does imply a lot of limitations - for example we need to re-create backup jobs if using a different external HDD or just reformat it - the community pushed QNAP to implement something more useful.

Return to “Users' Corner”