Upgrade from TS119Turbo to HS251

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
harry66
Getting the hang of things

Upgrade from TS119Turbo to HS251

Post by harry66 »

Hi,
Is it worth upgrading from a TS119Turbo to HS210 from a performance point of view?
Or should I wait until the HS251 is within my budget?

Fanless is a must for me - as NAS resides in my living room and the missus is very sensitive to background noises? For various reasons I can not locate the NAS anywhere else.

Also, if I did upgrade - would I be able to just migrate the HDD from the TS119 to the HS210 or would I need to get a spare drive and do a restore etc?
The plan is to run single HDD to begin with and then get a 2nd HDD for Raid when I can afford it.

Thanks!
Last edited by harry66 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwilson
Guru

Re: Upgrade from TS119Turbo to HS210

Post by pwilson »

harry66 wrote:Hi,
Is it worth upgrading from a TS119Turbo to HS210 from a performance point of view?
Or should I wait until the HS251 is within my budget?

Fanless is a must for me - as NAS resides in my living room and the missus is very sensitive to background noises? For various reasons I can not locate the NAS anywhere else.

Also, if I did upgrade - would I be able to just migrate the HDD from the TS119 to the HS210 or would I need to get a spare drive and do a restore etc?
The plan is to run single HDD to begin with and then get a 2nd HDD for Raid when I can afford it.

Thanks!
I'd recommend waiting until you can afford an Intel/AMD-based NAS model.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

pwilson wrote:Is it worth upgrading from a TS119Turbo to HS210 from a performance point of view?
Afraid no not really - depending on the TS-119 model it's an upgrade from the 1.2 MHz (is this is _the_ fanless TS-119 - never variants have faster CPU) to the 1.6 MHz (HS210) most likely - no performance wonders.
harry66

Post by harry66 »

schumaku wrote:
pwilson wrote:Is it worth upgrading from a TS119Turbo to HS210 from a performance point of view?
Afraid no not really - depending on the TS-119 model it's an upgrade from the 1.2 MHz (is this is _the_ fanless TS-119 - never variants have faster CPU) to the 1.6 MHz (HS210) most likely - no performance wonders.
Thanks - I did notice the increase was only .4ghz but was hoping the CPU might also be an improved version - given the age difference between the TS119 and the HS210.
Oh well - will save up for a HS251 or wait for the price to drop a bit...

Cheers!
harry66

Re: Upgrade from TS119Turbo to HS251

Post by harry66 »

Hi again,
As luck would have it Amazon UK had the HS251 on special offer and seeing as it is Intel based I went for it.

The current plan is to use the 3TB from my current TS119 as the main drive in the HS251 and run a regular job to backup the most important files onto a spare 2TB drive I have - in non RAID mode.
In a few months time I will buy a 3TB and run it in RAID mode.

1)So, can anyone advise on the simplest way of setting up the HS251 to use my existing 3TB drive (from the TS119). Could I just transplant the 3TB from the TS to HS? Or do I need to backup the files from the 3TB and reformat etc?

2)If I cant just transplant the drive, is it at least possible to transfer my shares/users/permission settings from the TS to the HS? Or do I need to recreate everything from scratch?

3)One final question - does anyone know why there are no Hitachi (NAS) drives on the Compatibility list? I have had bad experiences in the past with Seagate and WD - and none with Hitachi - so would prefer to stick to Hitachi. Does anyone forsee any issues with using HGST NAS drives?

Apologies if any/all the above are dumb questions and thanks in advance for your help.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Technically yes - start here for the requirements: Migrating from Old NAS. Longer term, I would suggest to do a full backup, re-config the NAS form scratch (from empty HDD), and restore data to gain the full functionality in the storage management.. You might consider to re-migrate the single HDD volume form the 215 to the 119 when you get new HDDs.

Enjoy!
harry66

Post by harry66 »

Thanks.
I will try the upgrade/migration for now and once I get the 2nd 3TB drive I will do a config from scratch before switching to RAID.
Cheers!
harry66

Post by harry66 »

Hi,

I got my HS-251 - yay!

Transplanted the HDD from the TS119 (after a shutdown) to the HS-251 as per the Migration link above - thanks.

Switched on the HS-251 and allowed it to complete a firmware upgrade and eventually rebooted.
However, I now get the following warning: "The firmware versions of the system built-in flash (4.1.0 Build 20140521) and the hard drive (4.1.4 Build 20150522) are not consistent. It is recommended to update the firmware again for higher system stability."

Should I be worried about this or can I safely ignore?

Thanks!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

harry66 wrote:Should I be worried about this or can I safely ignore?
You should be worried ... the NAS comes with an older firmware in the Flash, the HDD contain finder prints and more of QTS 4.1.4. Re-apply the firmware - by the QTS Web UI, by Qfinder, or by Manually Update Firmware.

Different form a scratch install, the HDD migration does not guide the user to fetch the matching firmware.

And worse ... QNAP does claim "no firmware update required" for this kind of migrations in the docs.
harry66

Post by harry66 »

Thanks.
I did try the 'Check firmware update' option from QTS Web interface from my PC but it claimed it was on the latest.

I did not think to check the version numbers of the Qnap download site '4.1.4 build 0522' is the latest shown there right now...I foolishly thought that the TS119 (which the HDD came from) was on a higher firmware version because it was a more mature product! Doh!!

I will download and install the latest as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks again!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

harry66 wrote:I did try the 'Check firmware update' option from QTS Web interface from my PC but it claimed it was on the latest.
How true - I forgot about that ... the update tester does compare the version number in the configuration (so on the HDD) ... not at all the Flash firmware version. Just filed a bug report right away - MantisBT ID 4781. Thank your for the note.
harry66

Post by harry66 »

Thanks for your help.
I downloaded the zip to my PC and then did a manual update from the web interface.
Is there anyway/anywhere of verifying the built-in flash version is now definitely the same as the disk version?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

harry66 wrote:Is there anyway/anywhere of verifying the built-in flash version is now definitely the same as the disk version?
No more related log entry after reboot - then things are fine. Good job!

Return to “Miscellaneous”