UPS remote control logic ?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
koenraadl
Starting out

UPS remote control logic ?

Post by koenraadl »

Hi,

Can anyone explain me the "logic" or rather unlogic of the remote UPS ?
I found out that the underlying system for the UPS is NUT (Network UPS Tool). I have two UPS'es, unfortunate none are compatible with my TS-253Pro. To be able to use one of then I made a "UPS-server". A raspberry pi serially connected to the UPS. Works fine. So I search the 'net to see how my QNAP can see the thing and found out how to use the slave mode, my QNAP sees the UPS-server.
But now the unlogical thing : I only can give a time after which the QNAP will shut down. What ??? Why on earth a fixed time ? When the QNAP shuts down, it relieves the UPS of it's main load. So the UPS can run longer. Suppose in that time the power comes back, then the QNAP will never reboot.
Suppose the UPS runs out of power. Power comes back for some time, but not enough to totally recharge the UPS. Power goes away again. The QNAP thinks it has ample time to work, but the UPS runs out of power and shuts down. QNAP is powered off without proper shutdown.

I don't understand, all the while NUT is perfectly able to handle those situations.
Or is the SMTP mode more suited ? Or can I tweak the system to behave proper, preferable so it stays there when new firmware is installed ?

Koenraad
P3R
Guru

Re: UPS remote control logic ?

Post by P3R »

Improvement of the UPS routine have been a request from Qnap users for many years now.

It would be much better if it was possible to configure the NAS shutdown to occur at X number of minutes remaining running time, as reported by the UPS.

An idea, why not use the Raspberry PI to power on the NAS with Wake-on-LAN when power is returned and the UPS have recharged up to a reasonable level (sufficient to power the NAS during it's stupid "fixed" UPS shutdown timer)?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
koenraadl
Starting out

Post by koenraadl »

Thanks for the suggestion.

At the moment, I'm looking into upssched on the pi. After the same time-delay as the QNAP I issue "upsmon -c fsd". And I configure a FINALDELAY of enough time to let the QNAP fully shut-down (I'm running a virtual machine on it).
When power should come back in the mean time, my UPS will momentarily power-off it's outputs.

To boot up the QNAP, it is indeed a good idea to wake-on-lan the QNAP after the UPS has sufficiently charged to be able to power the system for the time configured in the QNAP. I will need to test.

Koenraad.
pcace
Starting out

Post by pcace »

Hey, i am joining the discussion with a little bit off topic.
@koenraadl: can you tell me how you configured the pi and the NAS so that the nas listenes to the UPS via PI?
and: how did you solve your logic problem?

I hope this thread is not completely dead ;)

Cheers

Return to “Miscellaneous”