Restore files from Network recycle bin

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Kalab
Starting out

Restore files from Network recycle bin

Post by Kalab »

Hi,

is there an easy way to restore files that I have deleted by mistake? The files are in the network recycle bin which was thankfully active. However it seems that i need to use a Windows PC to move the files from the network recycle bin back to the folder they were in. That will take about 8 hours with my gigabit network and RAID 5 configured 409.

Help appreciated!
NAS: TS-412 F/W 4.0.2 | TS-409 F/W 3.3.2
Don
Guru

Re: Restore files from Network recycle bin

Post by Don »

Use a program like WinSCP to move the files. You could also telent or SSH into the server and move the files using the mv command.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Kalab
Starting out

Post by Kalab »

Thanks to your post I realised the mistake I was making, I needed to use the 'move to' command in WinSCP rather than just the 'move' command. Thanks again.
scuk
New here

Post by scuk »

Hi. I am also trying to move files from the QNAP TS-110 network recycling bin, and have read the above posts. I downloaded and am using WinSCP to move the files within the QNAP TS-110, and noted that I should be using the "Move To" command.

I cannot access this command - it is disabled / greyed out - what could be causing this.

Thanks.
Kalab
Starting out

Post by Kalab »

I would guess that it has something to do with the user that you are using in WinSCP are you using an admin account? If not that then have you changed permissions on folders maybe?
flipkay
New here

Post by flipkay »

It's frustrating to have to do things manually :( . QNAP should build the functionality into firmware, where all you have to do is choose restore to the original location and it does the move automatically for you.
RavagerOfDreams
Starting out

Post by RavagerOfDreams »

You can do what you want to do easily, you just are not going to the right place to do it. I also was doing the same thing, but then this article here provided a clue: @Recycle
http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.1/Home/en/in ... le_bin.htm
Don't go to Recycle Bin in left hand pane in the QNAP WebUI, instead go to the volume in the same pane that the deleted files were in and go to the folder @Recycle. Then find the file you want to recover, select it, click the Computer icon on the overhead toolbar, and select Recover.
If you get a Permission Denied error then instead navigate to the @Recycle folder through Windows Explorer (or Linux, or whatever) and just try moving the file back to it's original location.
Hope that helps!
Cheers!
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum! :)
RavagerOfDreams wrote:You can do what you want to do easily, you just are not going to the right place to do it.
This thread hasn't been active for over 5 years. ;)

Please - if a thread hasn't had a post for over 6 months, then start a new thread.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

RavagerOfDreams wrote:You can do what you want to do easily, you just are not going to the right place to do it. I also was doing the same thing, but then this article here provided a clue: @Recycle
http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.1/Home/en/in ... le_bin.htm
Don't go to Recycle Bin in left hand pane in the QNAP WebUI, instead go to the volume in the same pane that the deleted files were in and go to the folder @Recycle. Then find the file you want to recover, select it, click the Computer icon on the overhead toolbar, and select Recover.
If you get a Permission Denied error then instead navigate to the @Recycle folder through Windows Explorer (or Linux, or whatever) and just try moving the file back to it's original location.
Hope that helps!
Cheers!
Thank you!!
I have waited 5 years and 2 months for this outstanding answer. :S :S :S :S

Return to “Miscellaneous”