TS-439 stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
ordo
Getting the hang of things

TS-439 stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Post by ordo »

My TS-439 is stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING" indefinitely along with the ">"-animation.
No beeps. Either when I start, or after a while.
HDD LEDs do not turn on (though I can hear them spin up).
VGA output gives no signal.
Fans run at full blast.
Status LED blinks a few times in the beginning (random?)
Ethernet blinks orange sometimes.

I was running the latest firmware, and it has been running perfectly since I got it. I upgraded FW numerous times.

Is my motherboard dead? I contacted support like 8 hrs ago, but haven't heard anything. :(

I can't go to my dealer, because they went bankrupt a month ago :evil:

Do you know if you can get QNAP to exchange the motherboard, and is it easy to switch? I haven't opened my TS-439, but peeking in through the drive bays, it looks like it's only a few boards.

Regards
QNAP TS-459 Pro Turbo * 4 x 3TB WDC WD30EZRX
QNAPFrances

Re: TS-439 stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Post by QNAPFrances »

Hi,

Could you pls try following steps first:

1. Boot the NAS without disks.
If you still cannot hear one beep sound, there might be some problem on your motherboard. Pls contact your reseller or QNAP Tech Support for the RMA procedure.

If you can hear one beep sound:
2. You may try to plug-in all the disks back in original sequence offline, and reboot the NAS, try to find the NAS and upgrade the FW again via QFinder.

3. If above way is not working. You may try DOM refresh by yourself if you are familiar with Linux knowledge. And I'll send you the refresh guide later.
ordo

Post by ordo »

I forgot to mention that I already tried to remove all the drives. It acts the same way. So I guess there is something wrong with the hardware.

I am corresponding with a Tiffany W through mail now. Since my reseller went bankrupt, I need to RMA through QNAP - She did send me a Danish distributor address, but I don't know if they will just take the device and fix it.
anli
Starting out

Post by anli »

I've exactly the same problem described in post 1. I used latest firmware and QPKG Twonky 6.0.30. Removed all hard disks, rebooted, display message "system booting" with moving >. Sometimes LAN blinks. Fan at full blast. No beep when booting. I've linux knowledge so can you please send me the guide to refresh DOM?
ordo

Post by ordo »

Mine was sent to repair. I was told that the only thing they did was switch out the power supply.
webchik
Starting out

Post by webchik »

Unfortunately, I had the same problem as post 1 as well. I powered down the TS-439 Pro (Raid 5 setup as well), removed the hard drives, etc., and still had the same message - I can assume that it may be what ordo described in an earlier post (power supply).

I only purchased the TS-439 PRO in September 2009 - so it's a little dissapointing that it's not even 1.5 years (young) that it has experienced a problem - it's been flawless up until now. Whatever the firmware was at the time of purchase (I may have downloaded an update just after purchase as i initially didn't have access (couldn't see) "surveillance station" on it) i didn't mess with as everything was working so well for me. I was a little nervous as I thought i should have the latest firmware on the 439 to be able to hot swap the disks into the newer 459 unit.

I had intended to purchase another NAS in the near future - which came a little sooner than expected... I purchased a TS-459 Pro, carefully placed the 4 disks (in the right order) in the new NAS, powered it on, and I was amazed that I did not seem to need to do anything - all of my settings were intact. I'm still touching wood as i type this. I'm no tecchie at all, and found the whole process extremely stressful just thinking about it.

Luckily for me, where i purchased the new NAS, the kind folks at i-store in Melb. helped me out with the process (carefully following the Qnap recommended system migration procedure) - happy (and extremely relieved) to say it seemed to work out ok. I did not need to perform step 7. of the migration, ie, "start migration", as the new NAS recognised all of the drives/setup and all of my other settings and shares. Being a non-tech person, I must say - it certainly seemed to me to be "plug and play" - (instead of windoze "plug and pray")!

Although i'm not happy about my just over 1yo TS-439 Pro going to maintenance heaven so soon, I was VERY relieved to have the ability to basically "hot swap" my RAID5 (4x1TB) Seagates (seemingly) seamlessly into the new box - AND all of my shares, settings, on the NAS were maintained - and all of my PC windows shares were maintained, etc.

Hopefully this post may assist someone else in a similar position... I love my NAS. (And I'm still touching wood.)
Can't get by without my Qnap(s) ...
TVS-872XT | UPS: CPS BR1000ELCD
TX-453D | UPS: CPS BR1000ELCD
anli
Starting out

Post by anli »

I replaced my power supply (bought the new one at the qnap store) and everything was well again.
ordo

Post by ordo »

webchik, You should be able to change the power supply and still sell it for at least half of what you gave for it ;) No need to send it to the eternal maintenance fields :)

And I'm with you on the QNAP NAS - I still love them - My new 459 performs beautifully, as my 439 did pre PSU-death.
webchik
Starting out

Post by webchik »

ordo, thanks for the tip - i meant to say that "maintenance heaven" is i've actually sent it off to be fixed - when it comes back, I'm going to setup the same structure on it (4x1TB Seagates with a RAID5 setup), and try and work out how to systematically and automatically backup my data (some of my shares) from the 459 to the 439.

I've had a look through the forums and I just can't get my head around how to backup my data - i have setup some shares on the server, and obviously, some data is more important than others, so i don't want to do a wholesale backup, but maybe for ease of use for me (i have lots of holes in my technical knowledge) it may be easier in the long run. I would like the ability to backup one of my shares, for example, and then on a daily basis have the ability so that it then backs up any changed files. I obviously need to do a lot more research and trawling of forums to get my head around it.

I must say though, i am still impressed at the ability of the QNaps to have the ability to plug and play the drives from the older box - i did read other posts in the forum and a couple of people apparently weren't so lucky, their data I think was erased (that may have been the earlier firmware versions).

I should have realised it was the PSU - as i had it plugged into my UPS - and when i tried to power it on, there was no power at all to the device (i thought i might have had a faulty UPS for a second!). But when i plugged it into a normal outlet, i got the "System Booting" message forever.... so the UPS must have detected something.....

I am doing backups manually at the moment, which is not a great solution. I have an external standalone drive connected via esata - and using the "Web File Manager", highlighted a slew of folders with a massive number of files in them (lots of RAW, etc.), and it was actually REALLY fast. So much better than windoze...!! I have also used the "Backup External Drive" to backup a share (manually) as well. I used to have a dedicated Windows Server, and I'll never go back since getting the Qnap!!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

webchik wrote:I would like the ability to backup one of my shares, for example, and then on a daily basis have the ability so that it then backs up any changed files.
The built-in feature Remote Replication works very well for backing up data from one Qnap to another. RR is setup with one task for each share that we want to back up. Usually it is scheduled (individually per task) but it can also be run manually. Only changes will be copied, which makes transfers extremely efficient once the initial copy of the data structure have been done.
I have also used the "Backup External Drive" to backup a share (manually) as well.
Backup to external drive can also be scheduled but only supports one backup task. That single task can however backup multiple shares.
webchik
Starting out

Post by webchik »

Thanks P3R so much for your backup tips and the link - it's very detailed especially with the visuals/snapshots and step by step instructions. When my TS-439 Pro returns from "maintenance heaven" I'll be setting this up immediately.

I really like the idea of the Remote Replication and the method of once all the data is replicated, then only the changed files copied across - very efficient indeed!
P3R wrote:The built-in feature Remote Replication works very well for backing up data from one Qnap to another. RR is setup with one task for each share that we want to back up. Usually it is scheduled (individually per task) but it can also be run manually. Only changes will be copied, which makes transfers extremely efficient once the initial copy of the data structure have been done.
I'm also hoping that I will be able to plug both the NAS devices into my UPS - (APC Back-UPS ES 550VA)

The esata backups using the "Web File Manager" backup and "Backup External Drive" were impressively quick as well.
Ruudski
First post

Post by Ruudski »

Today I switched on my 859 pro + for the second time afther I bought it a couple of week ago. It stucks in system booting >>>>>. Tried everything to resolve the problem.

Reset doesn't work
Back to factory settings doesn't work
New harddisk doesn't work

I can however access the NAS via my workstation. It seems to work fine.
I can't use the front panel of the NAS. It doesn't do anything. Only the on/off switch works.

I plugged in a vga monitor on the back of the NAS and a keyboard to the usb port. It seems to work fine. I do not see any error on the screen.

Firmware version 3.4

Is there somebody out there who nows how to resolve this problem.

Thanks.

Ruud
webchik
Starting out

Post by webchik »

Well, I have been through all of this - and it turned out to be a failed PSU (Power Supply Unit) on the QNAP - so I put my TS-439 Pro in for maintenance, and in the meantime, purchased a new TS-509.

Luckily for me, I successfully removed the the RAID5 4x1TB drives from the 439, plugged them straight into the NEW TS-509, and voila, worked like a dream (I've heard some others weren't so lucky, but this could have been because of older firmware perhaps...) whilst i waited for the old TS-439 Pro to come back from maintenance heaven.

Since i got the TS-439 Pro back, i implemented the same setup (RAID5 4x1TB) - and backup using the replication option in the console of my data from the 509 to the 439. A bit of overkill, but it works so well - and fast.

Service on the 439 was pretty fast - my suppliers (i-Store in Melb) were phenomenal in helping me out (even with the box being out of warranty). They sent it back to Qnap for me, i think it only took around 1 week or so, can't remember, but i do remember being surprised when they called me to say it was ready!

I see a few posts now with the "System Booting" message... and it takes me back to what happened to me....

The message started with "System Booting >>>>>" and eventually no power came on at all (when i had it plugged into my UPS it had no power at all - it must have detected that something wasn't up to speed with the power output).

Hope this helps out someone else...

Return to “Miscellaneous”