TS-409PRO USB File Transfer Issues

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
interested
Starting out

TS-409PRO USB File Transfer Issues

Post by interested »

Hello.
I have a TS-409PRO NAS, with latest firmware.

Last weekend i was trying to backup one of my external USB hard drives onto the TS-409PRO using the USB direct transfer feature, (USB HD plugged into NAS) and I encountered several issues, that maybe someone here can help shed some light on.

1) the speed was incredibly slow, it took almost 2 full days to move 280GB over the USB cable to the TS-409PRO. This results in speeds way slower then USB 2.0, and way way slower then the time it takes if i were to plug in my external USB drive into my PC and transfer the files.
The TS-409PRO information screens did show the USB Hard drive connected and did say it was connected at USB2.0 speeds.

3) Every single file that was transfered onto the TS-409PRO from my USB Hard drive, was now hidden on the TS-409PRO. For some reason the TS-409PRO changed the file attributes on on the files to "system hidden". So after 2 days just to transfer the files, now all the files were hidden. I dont want my files hidden, so i had to re-transfer all the files, this time by connecting my USB hard drive to a PC, then transferring the files via the network GigE connection. Thus i basically wasted my time (lots of it) using the USB transfer feature. I should note that i had the TS-409 configured to "copy" the files which is what i wanted to do.. I have no idea why it makes all the files "system hidden"?

So as it stands, i now find the USB transfer feature to be useless as it is unacceptably slow, and it hides all the files that are transfered. This is unfortunate because this was one of the selling points that made me purchase this NAS over another.
Hopefully there is something that can be done to remedy these issues?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
nikolajhendel
Starting out

Re: TS-409PRO USB File Transfer Issues

Post by nikolajhendel »

Just to chip in on USB2 speeds - on a ts-409.
I'm currently running a backup to external device - which is a HD plugged into the front usb port. The backup is about 200 GB. 24 hours in, and the backup is 75% finished - now that is SLOW.
hakmar
New here

Post by hakmar »

Hi!
I'm just exerience the same problem with EXTREME slow copy to USB-device, between disc's within the Qnap and to/from my PC's (XP and Vista)

Approx. the same measures as mentioned above.

As for now, I can't recommend this device to anyone.
Balrog
Getting the hang of things

Post by Balrog »

+1 :(
QNAP 409 Pro
1 JBOD volume consisting of 2 x Samsung spinpoint F1 HD103UJ SATA2 1TB disks with 32Mb cache, firmware 1AA0
1 Single disk volume consisting of a Seagate Barracuda 750Gb ST3750640NS firmware 3.AE
Running Qnap firmware version: 2.1.0 Build 0904T
fcflam
New here

Post by fcflam »

Same here.. very disappointed at the poor USB transfer rates.

Transferring a 7GB file from NAS HD to NAS USB took 90 minutes.
Transferring the same 7GB file from the USB HD to my latop over USB 2.0 took merely 7 minutes.

The difference is ridiculous.. as if the NAS operates at USB 1.1. :evil:
jujule
Starting out

Post by jujule »

+1

any hints ?

maybe a more appropriate tool than rsync ?
QNAPAlan
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPAlan »

The file system of your external USB HDD should be NTFS. This is a known limitation about NTFS performance. Our software developer are trying to find a way to increase the performance. Please format the external USB HDD to ext3 or FAT if you need faster transfer speed.
dinlo
Starting out

Post by dinlo »

Tell me about it. I just bought the TS-409 with 4 x 1TB HDD installed running RAID 5. After I setup the NAS. I thought I only need about 1 day to transfer my old external HDD data over to the NAS. Oh boy! I was wrong! I have about 6xxGB data and took forever to transfer through wireless, so I connect the extrenal HDD to my laptop then transfer it through LAN. IT's faster, but still slow. So I direct connect the USB to the NAS using the 1 button backup feature. But it will stop transfer without any reason after few hours. :?: :?:

Now I'm just going to use my laptop to transfer the data piece by piece :evil:
jujule
Starting out

Post by jujule »

yes my FS is NTFS but the problem seems to be the high CPU when using rsync.

any alternative to rsync ?
jujule
Starting out

Post by jujule »

hi

i just posted a workaround for the rsync/usb/ntfs performances issues

http://blog.revolunet.com/index.php/gee ... r-low-cpus

Return to “Miscellaneous”