HDD Spin Down (Doesn't)

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
MikeSpragg
Starting out

HDD Spin Down (Doesn't)

Post by MikeSpragg »

Using a TS-879Pro for a while now - using 4.1 of firmware.
Since around a month now - I've noticed the disks aren't spinning down (access is immediate) and the green status LED is on permanently.

I know the disks used to spin down and the LED go off. I've not changed anything (honest!!). I did upgrade to latest firmware yesterday in hope it fixed it - but no joy. Under System Settings | Hardware the disk standby mode is set to 10 mins. If I wait (with zero access) - nothing happened. Previously, I could hear them spin down. Disks are 4TB WD Red's.

There is nothing accessing the QNAP itself. Happens even when my laptop is not switched on/physically away from network.

Anyone any ideas ? Will post more info as requested (rather than overload with useless stuff). None of the multi-media is running (disabled) and only app is JRE & MinimServer.
pwilson
Guru

Re: HDD Spin Down (Doesn't)

Post by pwilson »

MikeSpragg wrote:Using a TS-879Pro for a while now - using 4.1 of firmware.
Since around a month now - I've noticed the disks aren't spinning down (access is immediate) and the green status LED is on permanently.

I know the disks used to spin down and the LED go off. I've not changed anything (honest!!). I did upgrade to latest firmware yesterday in hope it fixed it - but no joy. Under System Settings | Hardware the disk standby mode is set to 10 mins. If I wait (with zero access) - nothing happened. Previously, I could hear them spin down. Disks are 4TB WD Red's.

There is nothing accessing the QNAP itself. Happens even when my laptop is not switched on/physically away from network.

Anyone any ideas ? Will post more info as requested (rather than overload with useless stuff). None of the multi-media is running (disabled) and only app is JRE & MinimServer.
QNAPedia article: Find out which process prevents the hard drives from spindown.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
MikeSpragg
Starting out

Re: HDD Spin Down (Doesn't)

Post by MikeSpragg »

Great, thanks - found out what it was (MinimServer log file writing). Thanks !!

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”