QNAP NAS NO STANDBY

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
cmbe
New here

Re: QNAP NAS NO STANDBY

Post by cmbe »

I can confirm that I also have this problem: Hard disk standby mode, most of the times doesn't work; That happens with ALL my Qnap NAS boxes (2 x TS-509 and 1 x TS-559+).

This behavior was introduced with the new 3.5 version of the firmware, as with 3.4.x works flawlessly.
xavierh
Experience counts

QNAP NAS NO STANDBY

Post by xavierh »

I can say that all the boxes in my LAN do go to standby properly with firmware 3.5.1

Pease check if any of our shares has guest access enabled. That did the trick for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

QNAP TVS-951xQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 OS Storage Pool: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD x 4 (RAID 5), Data Storage Pool: WD WD30EFRX (Red) 3TB x 4 (RAID 5), 16GB RAM WD Easystore 10TB External USB 3.0 Services: SMB, Appletalk, QPKG: Container Station, HBS 3
QNAP TS-453AQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 Services: SMB, HBS 3
Network: UDM, UDM Beacon, Unifi 8 Port Switch x 3, Flex Mini Switch, In Wall AP
cmbe
New here

Post by cmbe »

Thanks for your help.

I haven't guest access enabled on any share.
xavierh
Experience counts

QNAP NAS NO STANDBY

Post by xavierh »

Not even On the public share account?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

QNAP TVS-951xQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 OS Storage Pool: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD x 4 (RAID 5), Data Storage Pool: WD WD30EFRX (Red) 3TB x 4 (RAID 5), 16GB RAM WD Easystore 10TB External USB 3.0 Services: SMB, Appletalk, QPKG: Container Station, HBS 3
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

@xavierh: Please explain on how a guest share access should create issues with the spin-down. Can't see on how a difference in the authentication to one or some shares should make a difference.
MightyAtom
Getting the hang of things

Post by MightyAtom »

schumaku -
your door bell analogy is interesting. My answer to this is that just because the door bell rings it doesn't mean that everybody in the house has to get up to answer it. To bring it back to QNAP this translates into the fact that the Atom CPU should answer the doorbell; it is not necessary for all the disk drives to get up off the couch as well.

So yes I do blame QNAP for false advertising at this point and I agree totally with lmosely that this is a programming error. Bottom line - the box is billed as having a standby function but it does not - either because you have to turn all the services off (thereby rendering the functionality useless in practical terms) or because, even then, the damn thing doesn't shutdown anyway.

I have not tried the simple test of unplugging the network cable but I will do so this evening. I expect the exact same result because the PCs on the network are off at night which should amount to the same result.

Various folks are also suggesting this problem got worse with the release of 3.5. Personally I'm not convinced it ever worked properly but either way it all points in the same direction.

Can someone from QNAP please comment.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The ringing door bell does lead to a service taking action - beeing Web, BT, ftp, ... does write a log, and most likley access some more files.

Disconnection the cable does trigger some other messages logged - thee is no co-incidation thast is only external stuff.

One thing worth checking is the status of the Auto Router Configuration. There are some indications thast this can keep the HDD spion-up - can't reporoduce, have no UPnP routers in service.

There are _many_ users out in the world where the HDD do spin-down - with the network connected, with many services active, and even some exposed. Me included.
lmoseley
New here

Post by lmoseley »

schumaku wrote:There are _many_ users out in the world where the HDD do spin-down - with the network connected, with many services active, and even some exposed. Me included.
Yes... but they don't have QNAP NAS boxes with the current firmware.

I have an older ReadyNAS that spins down after 30 minutes of idle time. Period.

Numerous people agree that the QNAP doesn't do that. We aren't all crazy.
Ruairidh
New here

Post by Ruairidh »

My current firmware version is: 3.5.1 Build 1002 , my T-412 does spin down (in fact, it had to spin up for me to check the firmware version through the webinterface). On the Application Server side I only have Twonky QPKG enabled however.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

lmoseley wrote:Yes... but they don't have QNAP NAS boxes with the current firmware.
Are you talking of TS-x09 v3.3.2 or newer NAS with v3.5.1 ?
lmoseley wrote:I have an older ReadyNAS that spins down after 30 minutes of idle time. Period.
They make nice NAS, too. However: Much less services, not as easy to do crazy things.
lmoseley wrote:Numerous people agree that the QNAP doesn't do that.
Thre is a clear process defined on how to analyze (Find out which process prevents the hard drives from spindown) and report in the appropriate forum (http://forum.qnap.com/viewforum.php?f=55).
lmoseley wrote:We aren't all crazy.
Can't judge on this part. Please check with your doctor or look for professional help. 8)
MightyAtom

Post by MightyAtom »

The sheer number of people posting at that forum (viewforum.php?f=55) tells you there is clearly a problem. Some people undoubtedly do not have the problem. Some are in denial. Others are perhaps not accepting that there are plenty of us for whom this functionality does not work at all.

It is therefore a bug. And as things stand it is a breach of the trade descriptions legislation.

My current status on this is that I have been told by QNAP support that I need to turn all the services off. A fairly clear confirmation of the argument I'm giving here. I have also tried unplugging the network cable overnight and of course in the morning there was the QNAP busy checking and re-checking itself.

At the moment I wish i had bought a ReadyNAS. It sounds like that works properly.......
xavierh
Experience counts

Post by xavierh »

schumaku wrote:@xavierh: Please explain on how a guest share access should create issues with the spin-down. Can't see on how a difference in the authentication to one or some shares should make a difference.
sorry Schumaku I have been away (work has gotten hectic lately in my neck of the woods).

I believe that my recommendation to disable the guest access was not complete. I started testing yesterday on a spare ts-209 that I have with firmware 3.3.2 that I want to setup as a timemachine server, and i just kept seeing guest connections every 10 minutes from my windows vista computer (baradur its her name) eventhough the guest account was disabled and every 30 minutes from my imac.

after testing today i believe that i found the problem (please my post in the thread below)
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... 79#p232157

after doing the changes on my ts-209 no guest login have appeared in my logs (pleasee attached image.

I did the changes at 10:30 local time today and as you can see the connection log has been clean after that.

for my 219 and my 119's I did not had to do any of those steps though.... thats why i say that my solution was not complete... please let me know if you have any more questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

xavierh
Experience counts

Post by xavierh »

lmoseley wrote:
schumaku wrote:There are _many_ users out in the world where the HDD do spin-down - with the network connected, with many services active, and even some exposed. Me included.
Yes... but they don't have QNAP NAS boxes with the current firmware.

I have an older ReadyNAS that spins down after 30 minutes of idle time. Period.

Numerous people agree that the QNAP doesn't do that. We aren't all crazy.
I am one of those ;)

my 219, and 119 do spin down properly...

MightyAtom

Post by MightyAtom »

So this issue is at stalemate.

Some people have the problem and some don't.

The people that don't have the problem can't help the people who do because the advice doesn't work ie our results are different

QNAP remain silent and unresponsive on this thread. Via other threads/emails they suggest all services are shut-down - something that the people here who don't have the problem have not done.

Brilliant.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

MightyAtom wrote:The people that don't have the problem can't help the people who do because the advice doesn't work ie our results are different
Of course - as stated before:
Thre is a clear process defined on how to analyze (Find out which process prevents the hard drives from spindown) and report in the appropriate forum (http://forum.qnap.com/viewforum.php?f=55).
If you still don't want to do that - feel free posting rants in this thread...it' will NOT help you resolving this issue (if it's one at all).
MightyAtom wrote:QNAP remain silent and unresponsive on this thread.
This is a community forum and never was an official support channel.
MightyAtom wrote:Via other threads/emails they suggest all services are shut-down - something that the people here who don't have the problem have not done.
This is part of an evaluation and troubleshoting process - not a solution, isn't it?

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”