TS-451 - No Spin-Down & Lots of Activity

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
rainmaker002
Starting out

TS-451 - No Spin-Down & Lots of Activity

Post by rainmaker002 »

I'm not terribly concerned about my disks not spinning down, but for the past few weeks I've noticed that my NAS is very loud with disk activity. It comes and goes, but sometimes both disks (WD Red 6TB drives) are going nuts. I'm in Raid-1. The clicking of activity is very loud and obnoxious. It can go for a few minutes and then not hear it again for hours.

Ideally the disks would spindown.

I have a number of qpkg's installed which probably makes troubleshooting difficult. Sickbeard, Plex, Sab and Transmission. But, the disk activity seems to be independent of any actual downloading (it's not very noisy at all while downloading).

I also run Google Drive Sync, which seems to hang from time to time- I'm wondering if that's part of the problem but don't really see a way to diagnose.

Finally, I run Virtualization Station which has Windows 7 running 24/7. This was the first thing I tested- shutting it down at night. I can still hear the disk activity even when it is shut down so I think I've eliminated that as a possible problem.

I ran blkdevMonitor.sh and the results are at http://pastebin.com/LxyqZn5X .

But, I don't really know how to interpret the output. Any suggestions are welcome!

Thank you.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Re: TS-451 - No Spin-Down & Lots of Activity

Post by doktornotor »

Why on earth are you debugging spin-down on drives with VMs running 24/7? Of course they'll never spin-down. FW version and build? Processes running? Services enabled?
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
rainmaker002
Starting out

Post by rainmaker002 »

Hi There,

I guess a couple of points.

1) I note that I have shut off the virtualized windows OS, with no change in activity. I think that takes care of your first question.
2) 4.1.1 / 20140822
3) http://i.imgur.com/zAn8zez.png for a list of running processes. Keep in mind answer #1, which is that I have tried disabling the virtualized OS (which I believe is represented by the qemu-system-x86_64 process) which does not help.
4) Services running: FTP, OpenVPN, FileStation, Rsync, NFS, Hybrid Desk Station, Microsoft Networking, Web Srver and PPTP VPN Server

Thank you for looking!
rainmaker002
Starting out

Post by rainmaker002 »

Hi There,

I guess a couple of points.

1) I note that I have shut off the virtualized windows OS, with no change in activity. I think that takes care of your first question.
2) 4.1.1 / 20140822
3) http://i.imgur.com/zAn8zez.png for a list of running processes. Keep in mind answer #1, which is that I have tried disabling the virtualized OS (which I believe is represented by the qemu-system-x86_64 process) which does not help.
4) Services running: FTP, OpenVPN, FileStation, Rsync, NFS, Hybrid Desk Station, Microsoft Networking, Web Srver and PPTP VPN Server

Thank you for looking!
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

QEMU running? Thought you got rid of virtualization stuff...
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
rainmaker002
Starting out

Post by rainmaker002 »

It happens to be running at this moment, yes, but I can assure you that the problem exists whether it is running or not.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Well, good luck with this... impossible to debug anything this way. (Also, you seem to be using some beta FW version...)

As a final hint here, check crontab -l output and compare with times of "very loud with disk activity"
rainmaker002
Starting out

Post by rainmaker002 »

Thanks, I will do that.

I have disabled the VM and run blkdevMonitor.sh again. The results are at http://pastebin.com/dfMM0ShB

Do you see anything different that might account for the issue?

Cheers!
rainmaker002
Starting out

Post by rainmaker002 »

bump.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

rainmaker002 wrote:bump.
You aren't going to get Spindown with iSCSI enabled either. You need to disable all the useful features in order to achieve Spindown. (I choose to ignore Spindown here, as I really don't care if my drives spindown or not).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
rainmaker002
Starting out

Post by rainmaker002 »

Gotcha.

I'm not so concerned with spindown as I am with all the racket. I have to turn the server off at night (even though it's in another room) because it is so loud with all the hard drive activity. It is doing something, I just can't figure out what. It sounds like hard drives would sound if you were downloading and unpacking usenet archives or something- literally full blast at undefined intervals. It's driving me (read: my wife) nuts.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

rainmaker002 wrote:Gotcha.

I'm not so concerned with spindown as I am with all the racket. I have to turn the server off at night (even though it's in another room) because it is so loud with all the hard drive activity. It is doing something, I just can't figure out what. It sounds like hard drives would sound if you were downloading and unpacking usenet archives or something- literally full blast at undefined intervals. It's driving me (read: my wife) nuts.
I'm afraid I have no suggestions for keeping "she who must be obeyed" happy. My TS-470 Pro with 4 * WD WD30EFRX drives is almost completely silent here. (My refrigerator is noisier). I can appreciate the noise issue being a concern tho', as my NAS lives right beside my TV, so that I can use it via HDMI with my TV & AV-Receiver, so I too would be annoyed by excessive noise from it.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
rainmaker002
Starting out

Post by rainmaker002 »

Thanks for replying. This is getting a bit off topic but the condition is so obnoxious that I'm wondering if I can reset everything without losing the data. The system was fine for at least the first month and I'm assuming something I installed or changed has caused this behaviour.

Is there a factory reset that doesn't lose the data on the disks- but wipes all addons, qpkg's, etc.?

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”