Can't upload firmware to QNAP

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Enuum
New here

Can't upload firmware to QNAP

Post by Enuum »

I can't pass de "Quick Configuration" Wizzard, the "Initialize the hard drive and install the firmware".

The HDDs are no blinking, the lan status is ok, the QNAP Finder can see the QNAP, The ip range is in my local LAN, No firewall blocking the QNAP IP and no antivirus runing, but the firmware update setup only bring me this error:

"The image file is incorrect or firmware update failed. Please check the image file and try again."

The QNAP model is: TS219P
The firmware in the Qnap is : 3.3.2 Build0819T

and the firmware I'm trying to load to the qnap is 3.3.2 Build0819 from Qnap TS219P Download page.

What's wrong with this device, can anyone help?.
KL643
Experience counts

Re: Can't upload firmware to QNAP

Post by KL643 »

Did you unzip the firmware...?
Enuum
New here

Post by Enuum »

Yes, i unzip the firmware.
KL643
Experience counts

Post by KL643 »

Maybe the firmware is corrupt...I would download it again and try again.
Enuum
New here

Post by Enuum »

I Just download it 3 times, also with the firmware in the original QNAP setup cdrom bring the same error...this is very frustrating :(.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Enuum wrote:The firmware in the Qnap is : 3.3.2 Build0819T

and the firmware I'm trying to load to the qnap is 3.3.2 Build0819 from Qnap TS219P Download page.
I have never tried to load the firmware already installed but maybe that's a problem?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Re-installing the same firmware should not create any issues. Curious:
- What says the "Detals" pop-up in QNAP Finder?
- Can you connect the NAS Web UI, the IP address should be visible in the QNAP Finder?
- What disk(s) are installed?
Enuum
New here

Post by Enuum »

I eventually found the problem, a bad gigabyte switch ethernet was the cause of all the network problems with QNAP, changed it and now work fine and I can continue the process of updating the firmware. The NASS is working fine.

Thank You all.
dr_jon
Easy as a breeze

Post by dr_jon »

I had the same problem. I tried using a direct connection instead of via an ethernet switch and also renaming the file, neither worked. The answer was my web browser, it wouldn't upload in Opera 11.01, when I changed to Chrome it worked fine... cue much relief...
John
TS-453A, TS-253A, TS-431P3, TS-419P+, hopefully that's it for a while...
jolim
New here

Post by jolim »

Crazy enough for me, Chrome was the culprit when upgrading a TS-119 to version 3.4.4 from 3.3.6. I switched to Internet Explorer (on Windows 7) and it's working.
gosha
New here

Post by gosha »

I just received QNAP TS-410 as a birthday present :-/

I'm trying to initialize the device and to upload the firmware for a several hours already.

I tried to upload the firmware from the disk (U_TS-410_20100409-3.2.5) and downloaded from internet (TS-410_3.5.0_Build0816)

I tried it from MacOS Lion and Mac OS Snow Leopard, from Windows XP.

I tried on each platform Chrome, Firefox and even Explorer.

I tried to connect it directly to my router (TimeCapsule) and to each of my computers with the IP 169.x.x.x

I tried it with no disk installed, one disk installed and two disks installed (WD Caviar Green WD25EZRX 2.5 Tb SATA 6 Gb/s 64 Mb). I used only ethernet cables supplied.

Every time result is the same: "The image file is incorrect or firmware update failed. Please check the image file and try again." I can't get further. And I'm going slightly mad.

Please, help, if you have any idea.

By the way, the latest version of QFinder for MacOS crushes under the Lion. It is not a big deal, however...
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

@gosha,

have you extracted the firmware image file from the .zip-archive before trying the upgrade? The file should have the .img extension, for example TS-410_3.5.0_Build0816.img
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
adrianlambert
First post

Post by adrianlambert »

Me too can't get a new TS-410 Turbo going at all. Tried different browsers, networks, and computers. Nada.
mpjtaylor
Starting out

Post by mpjtaylor »

same problem brand new qnap.. what gives
sacklbicker
First post

Post by sacklbicker »

Holy ** i had exactly the same.
My TS210 crashed without prewarning at was suddenly no longer accesible by the web interface.
Luckily i could rescue all data by mounting the hdd into my pc and mount the data partition with ubuntu life.
However, after endless trials the FW update failed all the time with
"The image file is incorrect or firmware update failed. Please check the image file and try again."
Even worse: after trying that, the web interface was corrupted.
How i got it to work finally (thanks to the hints above):
- SSH'ed into the NAS and killed all partitions with fdisk --> fdisk -d all /dev/sda and fdisk -d all /dev/sdb then reboot
- used google Chrome to initialize again and upload FW

Firefox and IE did not work! I nearly went nuts

Thanks fellows and good luck

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”