[TS-459] not found in network (explorer)

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
bramschats
Easy as a breeze

[TS-459] not found in network (explorer)

Post by bramschats »

Hello,

In the past i was able to connect to the Qnap by typing it's name in windows explorer (win7 x64), i could then see all shares and folders.

Now i can only connect by typing it's IP adres, also the qnap is not found in the explorer network (except for upnp).

Why is that, i have a ts239 running also and this one is always discoverable in my netwerk under it's name.

As far as i can see, all settings are the same, workgroup, etc, etc.

Hope someone can help me on this issue.
Qnap TS-453D
bramschats
Easy as a breeze

Re: [TS-459] not found in network (explorer)

Post by bramschats »

I found something strange when installing the new Qnap, the only thing i changed was EXT3 to EXT4, on my new Nas i had also installed the 3.3.2. firmware on my other NAS and i was able to browse it in the network.

To know for sure:
-reinstalled my ts239 and used ext3 filesystem, fw 3.3.2 -> browsable without a problem
-reinstalled my ts239 and used ext4 filesystem, fw 3.3.2 -> not browsable at all, only accessible with its ip adres \\192.168.2.200 even not with its network name.

My clients are windows 7 ultimate x64.

Can someone from Qnap comment on this issue?
Qnap TS-453D
larryschwenk
Starting out

Post by larryschwenk »

Solution! Maybe....

I just installed a new TS-659 Pro+, it's running the latest firmware 3.3.3 Build 0928T. It's doing some strange things.

I was setting it up from scratch; configured all the network settings and after I got down to the shares I tried to map a share to my Win 7 machine. It worked using the "\\NAS\Backup" name. So I continued on with the setup. After I finished with the UPS settings, I clicked back on the Power Management. They were not what I selected! :shock: So I put them back and saved the changes again. It seems to hold this time.

So now I go back to Windows and map the other couple shares....it can't find them. I double checked the Share Folders to make sure permissions were good and they were. :?: So back to Windows and now I noticed that the under "Network", all my other computers are there but the NAS is gone. I pinged the IP and it worked, I pinged the "NAS" and nothing. I then tried to map using the \\192.168.1.79\Backup and it worked! What the :?: :?:

For what ever reason I went in and double, triple.... checked the network settings, everything looked ok. All of a sudden I noticed the subnet mask was 255.255.0.0. I never touched it. I went and changed it back to 255.255.255.0 and save the settings. POOF :mrgreen: Everything came back to life.

I'm now going back through to look at every single setting, somehow they are changing by themselves or changing automatically based on other settings being changed.
bramschats
Easy as a breeze

Post by bramschats »

larryschwenk,

It seems to work as discribed..... you're the best.... thanks.
Qnap TS-453D

Return to “Miscellaneous”