SYSTEM BOOTING >>>>... (TS-809 Pro)

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
T5000
Starting out

SYSTEM BOOTING >>>>... (TS-809 Pro)

Post by T5000 »

Hi i have a new Qnap TS-809 Pro since last Friday. Everything went fine until now i get stuck on SYSTEM BOOTING >>>> after doing a restart... but not every time like other users here only sometimes. Let's say of 5 reboots 2 of them get stuck on SYSTEM BOOTING >>>>.

Symptoms:

1. SYSTEM BOOTING >>>> endless after rebooting the NAS
2. Fans at high RPM all the time during this issue
3. Power LED flashes Green
4. all 8 HDD LEDs are flashing green like they are in access.
5. i connected a Monitor to the VGA Port but i get no signal from the Qnap not even when the NAS boot up normal
6. Turn Power off during the SYSTEM BOOTING >>>> issue (hold the power button for 5 sec.) and power the NAS on again fixes the problem.

So it's a brand new NAS just out of the Box and already having problems with it.... any ideas ? and why do i get no signal over VGA at all ? thats a bad sign isn't it.

About my Setup;
FW 3.3.3
8x WD2003FYYS 2TB so 16TB in total.
ext3 and RAID5

I think i'm throw this *thing* into my dealers store on Monday and get a new one because its only 2 days old and being used for a couple of hours so i don't go for RMA no no.

Regards,
I am not happy
jonnypb
Getting the hang of things

Re: SYSTEM BOOTING >>>>... (TS-809 Pro)

Post by jonnypb »

have you just updated the firmware by any chance? There seem to be some pretty major issues with qnap since the 3.3.3 firmware. My TS-119 is totally trashed (1 Day old and on the verge of sending it back and getting a synology).

Waiting for some answers from qnap on here to see what's going on.

Not a happy bunny
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

jonnypb wrote:Waiting for some answers from qnap on here to see what's going on.
This is a customer forum, not a communication channel to Qnap. Sometimes Qnap responds to threads but there are no guarantees.

If you want direct help from Qnap you need to contact their support.

By the way, have you noticed the comment about known issues with the network settings on the single LAN models and that they are working on a fix?

T5000, contacting your dealer seems like a good strategy.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The specific noted firmware issue does not apply to this model. As this is a TS-809 (not low cost) we can say it's either an initial configuration issue, or more likely a DoA, and you should get an replacement.

-Kurt.
T5000
Starting out

Post by T5000 »

Until now i don't receive any answer from Qnap Support... i tested it again and after three reboots in a row the third one get stuck again on SYSTEM BOOTING >>>> (also no *beeb* after start when this issue appears). Then i restarted again and it booted flawlessly... but i must say again i get no VGA Signal at all from the NAS and that seems really not ok to me. Tomorrow i will test another VGA cable & Monitor and if it still not works i go and replace this unit.
images4life
First post

Post by images4life »

Hi,

We have the TS-809RP rack mount version and suffer with exactly the same symptoms, absolutely to the letter in your message. The reason I posted this message is to inform you that you are not alone in the failure and that this could be related to FW. We have had the unit around 7 months but can't say for sure when the failures started but I strongly suspect this could have been with the later 3.x FW.

To me the failure is at a very low level because the motherboard fails to load the POST screen when the failure happens, unfortunately I am unsure when you upgrade the NAS firmware if you also upgrade the motherboard BIOS which could be a contributing factor.

Anyway thought I would drop you a line and would be interested to hear from you when QNAP respond, and/or if the technical team at QNAP need anymore data from more than 1 user with the same issue. When the unit is up and running it works perfectly well for weeks on end, the failure is only at initial power up.

Regards

Steve
T5000
Starting out

Post by T5000 »

Hi,

it's good to hear that i'm not alone with this problem. I can confirm that the NAS runs perfectly when it is up so that seems we share the same issue. And if other Users share the same problems it can be really a firmware issue... i let you know what Qnap Support told me if they respond... (nearly 4 days now).

-T5000
QNAPFrances

Post by QNAPFrances »

Hi T5000 ,

Could you pls try steps below first:
1. Turn off NAS, up-plug all disks and turn on NAS.
2. Find the NAS via QFinder
3. Follow the Quick Configuration steps and insert the disks.
(Pls make a Complete Reinitialization on these disks from PC before you insert them to the NAS: http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Complete_Reinitialization Method2)
4. After initialization, upgrade to the FW 3.2.7_0506 first:
(Pls clear browser cache and reboot the NAS after upgrade)

If things goes well in these steps, you may upgrade the FW to the latest one if you want.

If the problem still occurs, pls "PM" your skype/email to me if you are still waiting for the QNAP Tech Support's reply.
T5000
Starting out

Post by T5000 »

Finally i received a respond from Qnap:
Dear customer,
Thank you for choosing QNAP.
Please contact your dealer and swap with them
nothing special... no problem specific solution... i still think it's a firmware issue but in fact its a new unit i swap and get a new one. If the same problem appears there also then there is definitely something wrong with the newest firmware.
T5000
Starting out

Post by T5000 »

Update:

I got a new TS-809Pro from my Dealer and did that what you said ( QNAPFrances) before setting up the new NAS. Deleted all partitions on a PC, put them in the NAS and did a fresh setup with formatting EXT4 & RAID5. Then i let the HDDs Sync for a couple of hours and after that i upgraded the NAS to FW 3.3.3 and guess what ? yeah the same failure so the other unit had no malfunction.

I did not test an other FW that 3.3.3 because its the latest and because the SYSTEM BOOTING >>>> failure comes up sporadically so maybe i have to restart the NAS 10 times to get it.

Las but not least i tested the first unit w/o HDDs attached and Re/started it about 20 times in a row... no failure at all so it must be something with the HDD/FW that causes the NAS to Booting endlessly sometimes (in fact User images4life has the same issue). And as i said before no VGA signal at all when this appears so no error message to look in.

Any other suggestions ?
QNAPFrances

Post by QNAPFrances »

Hi T5000,

Pls "PM" me your skype/msn/email, I'll have our engineer to check that directly.
cavilio
New here

Post by cavilio »

Dear all,

I work for the French National Museum of Natural History. We purchased a TS 809U-RP ten days ago. Everything was fine until we decided to update the FW last week (on thursday, the 4th of november). And now, same problems as all other posters here.
We had important data on this RAID6 NAS, which was supposed to be our safe storage for day to day use. I am quite disappointed, as I read many positive feedbacks about QNAP in many review on the Internet.
Any solutions for now (which does not imply any formatting) ?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Best regards,

Lionel
QNAPFrances

Post by QNAPFrances »

Hi Lionel,

If FW upgrade did not finish completely, it might cause some configuration files corrupted and freeze the NAS on "system booting". You may try below suggestions to solve this issue:

1. Try to upgrade the FW again via QFinder and reboot the NAS.
2. Try to turn off NAS, take out all the disks and reboot the NAS. If you can find the NAS via QFinder, then turn off the NAS again, plug-in all the disks in original sequence and reboot the NAS.
3. If you cannot hear the beep sound without disks while turning on the NAS, then it could be hardware malfunction. Pls contact your distributor for the DOA/RAM procedure.

Pls let me know if it helps.
cavilio
New here

Post by cavilio »

Thank you for your answer. Actually, the FW update went fine. The NAS ran ok for a while, then I had to reboot it and it never restarted.

I already did what you told me (removing disks etc.), so I guess the only solution will be RMA.

But I will first try to contact your tech support.

Thank you anyway,

Best regards,

Lionel
Heiquito
Starting out

Post by Heiquito »

Are there any news about solving the "System Booting" Problem?

I was on holiday for a week and now my 809 Pro (3.6.1) hangs in the Boot process (System Booting). No Monitor Signal at all. :-(

Any ideas or suggestions what to do? There is no more warranty!

regards

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”