LDAP server: would like to access addresses from any client

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
player12
Getting the hang of things

LDAP server: would like to access addresses from any client

Post by player12 »

I would like to see a openLDAP server - then I could access all the addresses from any client (PC / SNOM VoIP phones / laptops)...

like:
http://www.openldap.org/
player12

Post by player12 »

So SNOM VoIP phones do have these configuration possibilities - so I would like the TS-109 Pro to act as a LDAP server.:

LDAP:
LDAP name filter:
LDAP number filter:
Server Address:
Port:
Base:
Username:
Password:
Max. Hits:
LDAP name attributes:
LDAP number attributes:
LDAP display name:
Countrycode:
Areacode:
LDAP lookup for incoming call: on off
TS-109 Pro -- Version 2.1.2 Build 1114T
happyguy

Re: LDAP server: would like to access addresses from any client

Post by happyguy »

That, or the possibility for the NAS to authenticate against a pre-existing LDAP server.
player12

Re: LDAP server: would like to access addresses from any client

Post by player12 »

Nearly one year later....

Can I have some feedback if there will be a LDAP server in the near future?
TS-109 Pro -- Version 2.1.2 Build 1114T
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Re: LDAP server: would like to access addresses from any cli

Post by VincentM »

Need LDAP support here too, at least have the nas authenticate an LDAP server.

almost 3 yrs now

Plz………
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

Do you need an LDAP server, or LDAP client on the NAS?
There is a QPKG with an LDAP server in the works, it seems close as the group is already created.
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

Need the qnap get accounts info from mac os x mini
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

So an LDAP client, not currently implemented, and not directly easy to integrate in the linux without lum enabling the users, and that's a SUSE/OES only feature.
You could activate LDAP authorization on a standard Linux, but there's a lot of interoperability that needs work.
I think with their current AD integration, there's not much push towards a standards based integration.
Best regards
Fribse

HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

how much time it will take QNAP to have a firmware enabling the possibility to have the nas get client info from a mac ldap server and ACL management in the web interface? Is Apple the only company capable of improving userfriendlyness of its products in very short time? QNAP NASES are great product but still missing the penny to complete the pound in quite some field of use!!
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

Ha ha, I think you are confusing LDAP with user friendliness. Apple only likes open standards when it suits them, otherwise they 'have something better', so don't mix terms.
LDAP is a valuabla addition to integration with open standards, but it doesn necessarily have anything to do with user friendly.
I have no idea what it will take for them to integrate it, it has been requested (several years ago) by me amongst others.
Best regards
Fribse

HOWTO's:

casperghst42
New here

Post by casperghst42 »

Actually ldap would be using NIS (which LUM also does.....), but instead of using NIS (ie. unix nis) it would be using any ldap backend where users are posixUsers (or inetOrgPerson really depending on the schema).

I've just asked for this feature, but in general if one look at a normal Linux box there is a way to use a ldap backend for authentication and authorization. Authentication is the username/password part, the authorization is the more interesting part as this is where the uidNumber and gidNumber is provided (getent passwd, id, etc, etc).

Now that one have pointed in the Novell direction, it would be possible to create users using Novell IDM (lots of options there), but for a home user that would be "overkill".

I would just like to have the normal LDAP intergration found in normal Linux distributions, which only allow for testing on a single group, and a search filter - but people asking for this would know how to deal with that before going in that direction in the first place.

The main issue, is that if one have more than a couple of computers (Linux/OSX) using NFS things will get complicated due to the different ways the distribution assign uidNumbers.

Being able to "modify" uidNumbers/gidNumbers manually would be a step in the right direction, but it's not going to solve the whole situation.

btw. LDAP is not an addressbook, it can be used as, but it's more than that.

Thanks.

Casper
Know my way around

Post by 2326766 »

Did you see there is an openldap qpkg?
casperghst42
New here

Post by casperghst42 »

2326766 wrote:Did you see there is an openldap qpkg?
Yes, but there is no integration, meaning the OS cannot use the accounts in LDAP for authentication / authorization

Casper
AlbertH
Starting out

Re: LDAP support

Post by AlbertH »

+1 vote for LDAP:
That, or the possibility for the NAS to authenticate against a pre-existing LDAP server.
Yes, our 3 NASes should be able to authenticate and authorize users defined in our existing OpenLDAP server.

Please...
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

urgently required

Return to “Features Wanted”