set up my own DNS Server

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.

set up my own DNS Server

Postby pooshpa » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:33 pm

How can I set up my own DNS Server? I'm planning on starting a new DNS server so I can host my own domains. I have searched a few sites on how to do it... But most our windows servers... I will be using a Linux server (CentOS) for the web server... Is it possible to use Windows Server as the DNS Server and link to Linux as the web server?
Last edited by pooshpa on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pooshpa
First post

NAS Model: TS-119/219

Re: set up my own DNS Server

Postby fribse » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:02 pm

Of course, DNS has (despite windows' strange AD modifications) no preferred servers, and linux is by far the most commonly used server for dns.
Do you want the dns to be public or private?
Both can be accomplished by using bind on linux.
If you install the 'Optware' package, you can install a lot of standard linux programs from a SSH session.
You can find a dns server with ipkg list | grep bind.
Then it's just to install it with ipkg install xxx, and then configure bind. There are a lot of info on the net about how to do that.
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628
Beaf up security on Apache with customized.conf http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15540

NAS TS-659 Pro w. 6x 1TB| Joomla, MySQL
SERVERS VMWare 5.1.0 | OES11 GroupWise 2014 | PS3 60GB (upgraded to 500 GB) | Nintendo Wii | Revo Pico RadioStation | 3 Windows 7 Ent PC's
NET FritzBox 7390 | HP Procurve 1800-24G | EdgeCore ES4308 (POE)
fribse
Experience counts

NAS Model: TS-659 Pro

Return to Miscellaneous