set up my own DNS Server

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
pooshpa
First post

set up my own DNS Server

Post by pooshpa »

How can I set up my own DNS Server? I'm planning on starting a new DNS server so I can host my own domains. I have searched a few sites on how to do it... But most our windows servers... I will be using a Linux server (CentOS) for the web server... Is it possible to use Windows Server as the DNS Server and link to Linux as the web server?
Last edited by pooshpa on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fribse
Experience counts

Re: set up my own DNS Server

Post by fribse »

Of course, DNS has (despite windows' strange AD modifications) no preferred servers, and linux is by far the most commonly used server for dns.
Do you want the dns to be public or private?
Both can be accomplished by using bind on linux.
If you install the 'Optware' package, you can install a lot of standard linux programs from a SSH session.
You can find a dns server with ipkg list | grep bind.
Then it's just to install it with ipkg install xxx, and then configure bind. There are a lot of info on the net about how to do that.
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet

Return to “Miscellaneous”