Clarification on eSATA Port Multipliers

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
jbvs15
New here

Clarification on eSATA Port Multipliers

Post by jbvs15 »

Hi,

I am considering the purchase of two QNAP NAS' for a home/domestic setup.

I have been reading how v3.3 of the firmware supports SATA Port Multipliers, but the information I have found is not crystal clear and somewhat confusing.

My "plan" is to buy two QNAP units (not 100% sure which ones yet, either the 219/419 or 259/459 (can't decide between Intel Atom or Marvell ARM Kirkwood - I really like the Kirkwood chip - and I really like the LCD on the NAS - why do you guy's make it so tough :D), although my "ideal" basic configuration would be the same, as follows:

NAS_1 = 2 x Internal Drives, in mirror mode.
eSATA_1 connected to an external enclosure with JMB321 port muliplier chip and 5 x 2Tb SATA drives.
eSATA_2 connected to an external enclosure with JMB321 port muliplier chip and 5 x 2Tb SATA drives.

This box would then have 10 x 2Tb drives in JBOD mode and appear as a 20Tb device.

NAS_2 = exact same setup as above, so another 20Tb device.

Use rsync to keep NAS_2 in sync with NAS_1, or as a mirror of NAS_1

Will this work?

If not ... Do I need to find and use an eSATA box with in-built RAID using something like the JMB393?
If I have to of these boxes with one on each eSATA port, will each JMB393 box then appear as a "mountable" volume on each eSATA port?

If this won't work either, then what is the point/use of the 2 x eSATA ports on the QNAP NAS?
... And, would you please _clearly_ explain to us what Port Multipliers do work and how to use them!

If we are on a _winner_ (goodness, I hope we are)... One last question.
Which setup (219/419 or 259/459) will perform better with my "intended plan" and usage which is as a DLNA media server serving up to 4 or 5 WD TV's ?

Thanks, Brenton
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Re: Clarification on eSATA Port Multipliers

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi Brenton,
The eSATA port multiplier on QNAP NAS supports storage expansion(as share folders).
You cannnot assemble the RAID volume with the external RAID boxes via eSATA.
You can use rsync to sync shared folders from NAS 1 to NAS 2.
The entry-level TS-210 can already stream HD movies to at least 5 clients concurrently. So TS-219P and 259 have no problem.

Jason
jbvs15
New here

Re: Clarification on eSATA Port Multipliers

Post by jbvs15 »

Hi Jason,

Thank you very much for replying. It looks like we have a winner :D
I would not expect to QNAP to support RAID on the eSATA devices.

I hope you don't mind one more "dumb question", although an existing owner might be able to answer this one.

When you say it "supports storage expansion as share folders", does this mean that each SATA HDD on the end of the port multiplier would need to be mounted on a different mount point and appear as a different directory, or would it be possible to "span" the drives so that all 5 drives on one eSATA channel (or all 10 drives on both channels) would mount as a single directory?

Either way, I'm fine with it, I would just like a "heads up" as to what to expect?

I've decided that I've got to go for a TS-4x9 so I get the "flashy" LCD. :)
Marvell ARM or Intel Atom... Tough call.... :lol:

Cheers, Brenton

Return to “Presales”