Torrent download on QNAP

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
jaychou
Starting out

Torrent download on QNAP

Post by jaychou »

Hi,
I'm considering buying a QNAP 4-bay for home use, mainly because of its ability to download torrent by itself without a computer. So I'd like to hear all the comments about this function? Is it reliable ? Can I select just some files in the torrent to download or it will just download the whole lot? Can it turn off itself after finish downloading?
Please share your experience.
Thanks,
schumaku
Guru

Re: Torrent download on QNAP

Post by schumaku »

There is a brand new Download Station and QGet 2.0, actually in public Beta test on the Intel models. As is really a major update, some issues are floating around, but we're convinced these will be fixed before the "stable" firmware release.

For sure, I can confirm you have acccess to the individual files in a single seed.

For more information, you can consult the QNAP Online User Manual -> Download Station. The documentation is already on the v3.4 level (!)
Last edited by schumaku on Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QNAPJames
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJames »

jaychou wrote:Hi,
I'm considering buying a QNAP 4-bay for home use, mainly because of its ability to download torrent by itself without a computer. So I'd like to hear all the comments about this function? Is it reliable ? Can I select just some files in the torrent to download or it will just download the whole lot? Can it turn off itself after finish downloading?
Please share your experience.
Thanks,
Hi there,

The new Download Station supports RSS download (broadcatching) which allows you to download torrents by itself automatically, just like uTorrent, as long as you have set up the filter and schedule, the NAS will check if there's any (new) torrent meets the auto-download criteria.

Besides, you can also choose to download specific files in the torrent instead of downloading all files, this feature is also supported in the new Download Station. Currently it doesn't support automatic shutdown after finishing.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions. : )

Regards,

James
NAS: QNAP TS-464T4 Special Edition + Seagate IronWolf 125 3.84TB SATA SSD * 4 (RAID5)
Backup: QNAP TR-002 + Seagate IronWolf 10TB SATA HDD *2 (RAID0)
Networking: QNAP QSW-1108-8T 2.5GbE Network Switch
jj4now
New here

Post by jj4now »

thanks you for all your replies above. If i cannot set the Qnap unit to turn itself off after finishing download, can I preset a time schedule so the NAS will turn itself off when i'm away at work? I also heard that I can access my Qnap over the internet if I have a static IP or set dynamic IP like dyndns ?
QNAPJames
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJames »

jj4now wrote:thanks you for all your replies above. If i cannot set the Qnap unit to turn itself off after finishing download, can I preset a time schedule so the NAS will turn itself off when i'm away at work? I also heard that I can access my Qnap over the internet if I have a static IP or set dynamic IP like dyndns ?
Hi there,

1. Yes, QNAP NAS supports the power management feature which allows you to set power on/ power off/ restart schedule.
2. Yes, you can always access your NAS over the Internet. But you will need to forward the necessary ports to the NAS on your router. With the latest beta firmware, it now offers you a free DDNS service (http://www.mycloudnas.com/), as well as the auto router configuration (port-forwarding) which makes accessing from Internet becomes a lot easier.

Regards,

James
NAS: QNAP TS-464T4 Special Edition + Seagate IronWolf 125 3.84TB SATA SSD * 4 (RAID5)
Backup: QNAP TR-002 + Seagate IronWolf 10TB SATA HDD *2 (RAID0)
Networking: QNAP QSW-1108-8T 2.5GbE Network Switch
emmaps
Starting out

Post by emmaps »

QNAPJames wrote:
1. Yes, QNAP NAS supports the power management feature which allows you to set power on/ power off/ restart schedule.
I owned a ts-419p+..I think it only allows you to 'power on' OR 'power off' OR 'restart' as a single schedule only.

So I cannot tell it to power off at midnight and power on automatically in the morning.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

emmaps wrote:I owned a ts-419p+..I think it only allows you to 'power on' OR 'power off' OR 'restart' as a single schedule only.
Nonsense :oops: ! Of course - already the TS-x19 models support mutiple schedules - including Turn-on the Server, Reboot, and Shutdown:
TS-119_power_schedule.png
It's easy possible adding additional schedule entgries by using the [+] icon to the right of each entry.

Enjoy,
-Kurt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jaychou
Starting out

Post by jaychou »

thanks a lot Kurt

Return to “Presales”