Accessing content created outside of Qmultimedia folder

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
stevenperry
First post

Accessing content created outside of Qmultimedia folder

Post by stevenperry »

All; I am not sure if this topic has been discussed before, and I did search the forums to see, and I could not find anything directly related. I just wanted to get people’s thoughts and start a conversation on what you all are doing to get around some limitations that I have encountered.

Here is my current setup;

Share folder created on the NAS called iTunes. I redirect the iTunes library on a MAC and PC to that shared folder on the NAS. This allows me to have 1 iTunes library to be shared among multiple computers and across multiple platforms. The goal is to be able to centrally store all music, movies, apps, ebooks, etc. in one location and reduce redundancy and allow multiple devices to connect and access that content. I currently use iTunes as the portal of all multimedia contact (iphones, ipads, apple tv, etc.)

Limiting issues with this current setup is that I cannot update the library at the same time and have encountered corruption at times when two separate machines have the library open and try to update it. In addition, I have to have iTunes (the same version) installed on all machines that I want to access the content.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish;

I would like to see the ability for the Media Center to be able to scan the entire NAS device and reference content outside of the Qmultimedia/Multimedia folder structure. This might be accomplished somehow by allowing reference points (shortcuts to be created within the Qmultimedia/Multimedia folder) to reference content outside the structure. By allowing this, I would be able to use the iTunes Service service to share out content that is outside of the Qmultimedia/Multimedia folder structure. To take this a step further, any device that supports UPnP would be able to see that content too.

The goal is to be able to access any type of multimedia content (in a number of different formats) from either a web browser using the Multimedia Station or handheld device (qmoble for iphone) regardless of location of the content on the NAS without the restrictions of having to place the that content into the Qmultimedia/Multimedia folder and be limited to only a select few file format extentions that are currenltly supported.

Here are some questions and limiting factors that I see;

1. iTunes Server / UPnP Media Server - currently all music uploaded to the Qmultimedia/Multimedia folder of the NAS can allow iTunes or a UPnP Media player on the LAN able to find, browse and play shared music files on the NAS.

Is there a way to allow music, movies, etc. outside of the Qmultimedia/Multimedia to scanned and viewed by iTunes or a UPnP Media service? I do not want to have to copy the data and duplicate it in a specific folder structure.

2. Can qmobile play .m4a and .m4p formats. At this point, I cannot get the qmobile to play these formats, however it does see them properly.

3. The Media Center (Qmultimedia/Multimedia) looks as if the Media Center does not support .m4a and .m4p. Again limiting if you want to connect to your NAS and play content that was created / managed by iTunes. Are there any future revisions that will allow for additional formats to be viewed and played from the Media Center?

4. Is there any plans for qmobile native app for the iPad in the future?

5. Securely be able to browse https to the NAS using qmobile. I have not figured out a way to accomplish this. http works great. Currently I am using a VPN connection into my network and then allowing the qmobile to connect via local addressing.

I understand that a lot of individuals would suggest that I move to a more universal format (for movies, music, etc.) and discontinue using iTunes (or at least discontinue iTunes from converting the data), however at this time, the investment with iTunes and Apple is far too great to change. If any one has found a soltuion for my goal, please let me know. Thanks for your thoughts.
NAS-Rick
New here

Re: Accessing content created outside of Qmultimedia folder

Post by NAS-Rick »

@stevenperry,

I have been exploring some similar setups on my TS-459 and found a way to accomplish some of what you mention in your post. I recently updated my firmware to 3.3.6 build 1110 and chose to disable the internal UPnP Media Server (Twonky ver5), instead installing the QPKG for Twonky 6.0.30. The newer version includes many bug fixes, new capabilities and better flexibility. Using Twonky 6.0.30, I have been able to select and add network shares (located anywhere) to the collective media store. You can also set the rescan interval (in minutes) for automatic updates to content located in those designated paths. I setup mine to include the iTunes directory on the NAS that is simultaneously shared by multiple portable clients (iPods, PC systems, etc.). Twonky makes it available via UPnP to my Diamond Media Player 1000, where I watch streamed videos (clips to full HD movies), music (iTunes, other MP3 sources and Internet radio) and view pictures (all formats), all mapped to multiple sources and locations across my network. In my setup, the iTunes portable clients (such as the iPod Touch) can only access the iTunes library (unlike the Diamond MP1000). I am working on installing QMobile now, but from what I've read, I expect it will only be able to access the Multimedia share folder established by QNap.

I have found similar limitations trying to use the new (version 2) Multimedia Station application built into the QNap firmware. It now includes support for Iris and publishing to social network sites, but the Media Center can only be pointed to directories below the Multimedia share and it does not appear to recognize my videos stored in .TS format (including HD) nor does it recognize .m4a music files in iTunes. I think I can get what I need from Twonky version 6 (including a remote Flash and HTML client for portable access to video and photos), so I will probably just disable Multimedia Station for now.

Have you looked at the QPKG for Twonky version 6.0.30 to see if it meets your needs? If not, here is the forum link:
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=213&t=38026

I have been extremely pleased with my recent results using the TS-459 as a media server for the MP1000 and my other local network clients, but it has taken time to find the right combination of applications and configuration. I hope sharing my experience helps you identify some additional options.

Rick
TS-459 Pro
Version 3.5.0 Build 0815T
3 X Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB WD1001FALS, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM, SATA II (RAID 5 + Spare)
WD 2TB Elements external USB secondary back-up
Netgear WNDR4500 Router
Port Trunking enabled between TS-459 and WNDR4500 Router (Gigabit x 2)
Netgear GS108T 1000Mbps Gigabit Smart Switch
Diamond Media Player 1000 streaming content
Applications: FTP, (QPKG) Twonky 6.0.30, MultiMedia Center v2, File Server, Web server
NAS-Rick
New here

Re: Accessing content created outside of Qmultimedia folder

Post by NAS-Rick »

@stevenperry,

I just checked out QMobile on my iPod Touch and it definitely uses the same Multimedia Station application back-end to access media on the NAS. However, the iPod is able to play the iTunes .m4a format which Media Station v2 could not. Not surprisingly, the iPod could not play the .TS video format (native to DVDs and HD video) and only the Multimedia directory structure was available for content. I planned on transcoding any videos for the iPod format for proper viewing anyway, so that's not an issue for me. The lack of ability to include other paths and shares will keep me using the Twonky client outside iTunes.

Rick.
TS-459 Pro
Version 3.5.0 Build 0815T
3 X Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB WD1001FALS, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM, SATA II (RAID 5 + Spare)
WD 2TB Elements external USB secondary back-up
Netgear WNDR4500 Router
Port Trunking enabled between TS-459 and WNDR4500 Router (Gigabit x 2)
Netgear GS108T 1000Mbps Gigabit Smart Switch
Diamond Media Player 1000 streaming content
Applications: FTP, (QPKG) Twonky 6.0.30, MultiMedia Center v2, File Server, Web server

Return to “Media Streaming”