What is "RAID Recovery"???

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
Mana
New here

What is "RAID Recovery"???

Post by Mana »

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a TS-212. I want to set up 2x2TB disks in RAID1 mode.
In the QNAP Comparison Chart the TS-212 does not have a function called "RAID Recovery", but it is not explained, what this function is. What I want to know is:
If one disk fails, is it possible to replace that disk and that afterwards the RAID1 will be rebuilt? What is this dubios feature called "RAID Recovery"?

Thanks
Mana
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Re: What is "RAID Recovery"???

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi Mana,
RAID Recovery is a QNAP exclusive and unique feature for RAID data protection during accidental disk removal or SATA connector failure.

http://docs.qnap.com/nas/en/index.html? ... gement.htm
"When the NAS is configured as RAID 5 (or RAID 6, 10) and any number of hard drives is uplugged from the server accidentally, you can plug in the same hard drives into the same drive slots and click ‘Recover’ to recover the volume status from ‘Not active’ to ‘Degraded mode’."

RAID from other competitors will crash and cause data loss if you unplug more than the allowed disk numbers in RAID.

RAID Recovery is available for QNAP NAS models with HDD hot-swap function.

TS-212 can still perform RAID rebuild if 1 HDD failed in the RAID 1 setup. You just nee to turn off TS-212, and then replace the failed HDD, and then power on the NAS for automatic RAID rebuild.

Jason
Mana
New here

Post by Mana »

Hi Jason,

thanks for your answer, that's exactly what I wanted to know!!!
I just ordered the TS-212, so I hope I'll have it by the end of the week.

Thank you!
Mana
bosk
New here

Post by bosk »

Dear Jason,

I just read your article about the QNAP TS-212. I have the problem that one of my hard discs failed. I changed the defect hard disc but I cannot recover the RAID 1? I have no options regarding the new disk. See Screenshot. Can you please help me!

Can you please explain me why and how this should work?

Best Regards
Stephan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

QNAPJason wrote:Hi Mana,
RAID Recovery is a QNAP exclusive and unique feature for RAID data protection during accidental disk removal or SATA connector failure.

http://docs.qnap.com/nas/en/index.html? ... gement.htm
"When the NAS is configured as RAID 5 (or RAID 6, 10) and any number of hard drives is uplugged from the server accidentally, you can plug in the same hard drives into the same drive slots and click ‘Recover’ to recover the volume status from ‘Not active’ to ‘Degraded mode’."

RAID from other competitors will crash and cause data loss if you unplug more than the allowed disk numbers in RAID.

RAID Recovery is available for QNAP NAS models with HDD hot-swap function.

TS-212 can still perform RAID rebuild if 1 HDD failed in the RAID 1 setup. You just nee to turn off TS-212, and then replace the failed HDD, and then power on the NAS for automatic RAID rebuild.

Jason
I never realized QNAP had this advantage over the other competitors. Naice :mrgreen:
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
bosk
New here

Post by bosk »

After a long search I found an entry in the QNAP FAQ. As the TS-210 is very similar to the TS-212 this NAS does NOT support any RAID recovery! This is really stupid, because I thought this is the big advantage of QNAP. I have to sell the QNAP TS-212 and I am very disappointed about this issue :( Spend my money for nothing!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I migrate from Single Disk to RAID 0/1 in TS-210?
Applied Models:

TS-210 Turbo NAS
Answer:
TS-210 does not support Online RAID Level Migration. Therefore, please backup the data on the single disk to another location, install the second hard drive, and then recreate the new RAID 0/1 array (hard drive must be formatted).

2010/03/02
Question ID:693
For more technical support, please contact us.

(Found at http://www.qnap.com/de/faq_detail.asp?faq_id=693)
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

bosk wrote:After a long search I found an entry in the QNAP FAQ. As the TS-210 is very similar to the TS-212 this NAS does NOT support any RAID recovery!
RAID recovery, as described by QnapJason, is only applicable when using RAID 5, 6 or 10 so not an option on any two-disk unit.
How can I migrate from Single Disk to RAID 0/1 in TS-210?
The lack of Online RAID Migration feature is a limitation of the low-end models TS-210/212 that is clearly communicated in the marketing material. That feature is not the same as recovery of a degraded RAID 1. The latter is supported on all models that have RAID 1.

I don't know why your RAID 1 didn't recover as it should have done. I recommend you to contact Qnap support to get help with that issue.
'
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

is raid recovery as reliable as zfs for recovering back the raid ?? :?
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
bosk
New here

Post by bosk »

Hi P3R,

Thanks for your post and your comments!

I understood that the low-end models of QNAP do not have online raid migration or online raid enhancement. Also that there is no RAID5 supported. I am fine with that issue.

But as you mentioned it would be nice to have a recovery of a degraded RAID 1 for the TS-212. I already got in contact with the support but up to now I do not have an solution :(

Regs
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi P3R and bosk,
RAID recovery is also available on the hot-swap supported NAS (e.g. TS-259 Pro +, TS-239 Pro II+).
It will recover the RAID back to degraded mode, and then the RAID will rebuild automatically from the degraded mode to the normal mode.

Jason
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Hi Jason,

Okay I didn't know that and to tell you the truth I didn't look up the details about RAID Recovery but only extrapolated on the information you've already given. The message I concentrated on was to explain to bosk that despite the lack of RAID recovery on the TS-212, it should be able to rebuild the broken RAID 1 when a new disk was inserted. Hopefully he will get assistance with that problem so that he doesn't loose faith in his Qnap.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
bosk
New here

Post by bosk »

As posted in another post, I do not know why the RAID Rebuild did not started.

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... 04#p199604
drjim7
New here

Post by drjim7 »

This works (I hope): http://inglele.wordpress.com/2012/07/19 ... om-telnet/
However I used SSH not telnet. I think it will work. It is rebuilding at the moment.

Return to “Presales”